• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sporty Spice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
well that was no big surprise.

kinda figured that wanna be the strongest in the world would get the uber thrashing and cast into the perishable bin with extreme prejudice.

sure its trashy fanservice , have no real storyline plot and guilty pleasure at best, but its definitely decent enough for a rental.

for one thing the negatives of this series is what make fanservice series like queen's blade , girls bravo , highschool of the dead , ikkitousen & sekirei very popular in the otaku community and this series is no exception.

not every fanservice have to copy the lead of high school dxd every time.

Not to mentioned that panty & stocking's fanservice are even more trashy & offensive than this series and fans in the US like it.

Also most importantly, there are a lot worse fanservice series out there. there is a lot of people that would rather watch that series than suffer at the hands of "cough cough" knight of lamunes.

their fanservice offensives are ten times worse than what strongest in the world ever did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Inari Kon Kon was a really good show, and I'd really like to pick it up, but no dub really sours the deal for me. It's sad to see even FUNimation start to do sub-only releases. Inari Kon Kon is one I think could have had a really good English dub job, and while I quite liked it (one of my favorites of 2014), I'm not sure I liked it enough to pick it up sub-only.

Galilei Donna looks so pretty, so why is the writing such utter garbage?

I sometimes feel like the only person on the planet who actually liked Wanna be the Strongest in the World as a serious piece of work. It had its flaws, but they weren't devastating. And the camera shots? Yeah, I noticed them, but...I dunno. They just didn't really effect anything for me. I wasn't excited nor repulsed by them. If the show hadn't been servicey from the start, I probably wouldn't have noticed them at all. And if I might add, the review really put way too much focus on the fanservice. Yeah, it was excessive, but is it too much to ask for more on the script and story than "it was a disaster"? It's not exactly going to be a surprise to anyone that the show contains a lot of fanservice, after all.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Windy Tales on there. I hope it gets a proper review one day.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loved Ping Pong. I remember feeling surprisingly emotional while watching some of those Kong moments...particularly that train flashback.

Thinking about checking out Windy Tales. Looks interesting.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I keep hearing such immense praise for Ping Pong so I'll have to check it out one of these days. I never expected to get emotionally invested in basketball, competitive card-reading, or volleyball, but thanks to some heartfelt stories I have, so why should ping pong be any different?

Since I haven't seen any of it personally I'm not touching the debate on Wanna Be, etc. etc. but as far as "good trashy anime" I've enjoyed... I'd have to point to High School of the Dead. The rate at which it jammed torpedo-shaped tits into the audience's face is nothing short of amazing, but in the same breath it is so over-the-top ludicrous it delivers on a gleeful abandon sort of way with the zombie killin', gun totin', ridiculous survival horror that it is.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't a fan of Ping Pong. Don't get me wrong. The show had an absolute crazy art-style but it just didn't jive with me.

jr0904 wrote:

Also most importantly, there are a lot worse fanservice series out there. there is a lot of people that would rather watch that series than suffer at the hands of "cough cough" knight of lamunes.

The original show and DX were pretty tame, containing what you'd expect from early 90s mecha anime in terms of fanservice. There's a reason that 40Fire and Fresh, especially Fresh, aren't that well liked. They felt like a completely different franchise. It seemed like they forgot they were meant to be sequels.

I mean, look at the OPs.
It's pretty blatant even from there.

I won't forgive either of them (40 Fire/Fresh) for forgetting the Guardian Knights were a thing though. That's absolutely unforgivable.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Discotek releasing a subbed version of Monster Rancher? They haven't done any updates about it.

Last edited by taster of pork on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Wasn't Discotec releasing a subbed version of Monster Rancher? They haven't done any updates about it.

Um, it's mentioned in this week's releases under the Japanese title Monster Farm.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
taster of pork wrote:
Wasn't Discotec releasing a subbed version of Monster Rancher? They haven't done any updates about it.

Um, it's mentioned in this week's releases under the Japanese title Monster Farm.
Oh. Embarassed I didn't know Eastern Star was Discotek label.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally, I started my own shelf just a couple weeks ago and moved from streaming to owning by buying Ping Pong. My budget might be more S.A.V.E. edition than Aniplex, but I'm pretty happy so far.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ping Pong isn't about Ping Pong.

I heard the same thing about Bamboo Blade and I didn't believe it there either, primarily because I watched that series before reading the review. One of the last main lines in that series was the notion that they all liked doing kendo because it was fun. Which I didn't buy at all because two of the guys only ended up there because they were looking for the ping pong club and I thought "Well, isn't ping pong fun too? Guess not?"

Then I watched Ping Pong Club, no relation, and it's wasn't fun; Funny but the sport itself wasn't fun. Of course, when I saw the nude drunk teacher grind herself on the naked ping pong club member, I realized that one was not about ping pong. So what about Ping Pong isn't about ping pong as that one?

And as far as I can tell from how well it's not known, Funimation dubbed it because they lost a bet. For my own position on the idea of animated sports, I won't watch any sports anime after Bamboo Blade where the sport itself is interchangeable from everything from football to ... mah-jong, really?... because it's really about the people playing it and their "problems" playing it.... which can be solved by playing said sport or winning their division or saving the orphanage or some stupid bet or whatever reason you want. "Because it's fun." ... except that one.

My last word is that I like to think sports anime aren't popular in the US because we're not as gullible to keep falling for the same cliches and characters, just refitted to a different kind of ball or glove and still think of it as "new entertainment". I do like the sports parodies though yet I've yet to see one where they manage a "Your rival shall be... yourself! No, really, he's waiting over there." situation.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
Expected some SekaTsuyo bashing from someone at ANN, at least the review a while back was good (even if I didn't agree on all aspects). Faithful to the sport, great story and only animation as the weak point in my book.

Hopefully my copy of ImoCho should ship by the end of the week. Just read volume 9 (fab as always) and in the mood for rewatching it again, uncensored, again.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
Ah, Inari Kon Kon. Really enjoyed that show. And, it is probably the only show, that I've seen, where I was more invested in the romance of the secondary characters over the MC and her love interest.

Sadly, the end is too open for me, so I wouldn't rewatch the series.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And as far as I can tell from how well it's not known, Funimation dubbed it because they lost a bet. For my own position on the idea of animated sports, I won't watch any sports anime after Bamboo Blade where the sport itself is interchangeable from everything from football to ... mah-jong, really?... because it's really about the people playing it and their "problems" playing it.... which can be solved by playing said sport or winning their division or saving the orphanage or some stupid bet or whatever reason you want. "Because it's fun." ... except that one.

In that way, Ping Pong The Animation really is about ping pong. The central problems come from stuff surrounding ping pong, or the characters use ping pong to 'fix' their problems, etc. But it is, as many other sports stories, mostly a story about growing up, getting your priorities straight, that sort of thing. I also usually have an aversion for sports anime because they're usually the same trope but in a different scenario, but Ping Pong does that trope really well, and for an entire cast of characters, of which you're likely to relate to and really like at least one, if not all.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'd say you can typically divide sports anime into anime that use a sport as a catalyst and setting vs. series that are truly actually about the sport. They'll often have similar themes, but the structure is different. Anime like Ping Pong or Free are about sports but only to an extent; the bulk of the plot is about growth and character's personal lives. Haikyu, Ace of Diamond, KuroBas, and Yowamushi Pedal are about the sports; episodes revolve around training and matches. Growth and development is often tied to competition and developing a cohesive team. (KuroBas and YowaPedal also get thrown into the subcategory for crazy/fantasy-like/superhero sports series masquerading as real.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2