• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANN Readers: School-Live! Also Current Top of Summer 2015 Anime Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The Heroic Legend of Arslan is getting no love. Its my favorite show airing, its on funimation which is why I guess few are noticing it.
Hmph!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:

It's obvious, it's because the majority of today's anime fans are obsessed and infatuated with moe girls genre ect. that they just end up disregarding the fact that most of the genre's shows suck and have horrible plots. Fans like it just for the characters which is why Gakkou Gurashi topped (when it really shouldn't have) Overlord, classroom crisis, Wagnaria and my ppersonal favorite, Ushio to Tora. And I say most, I know definitely not all like Ika Musume or NouCome are bad.

Um, so far, Overlord is a really average 'trapped in mmo/fantasy world' anime and doesn't bring anything new to the genre. And after 3 seasons of Wagnaria, it's beginning to get dull IMHO and I don't get the hype surrounding it. As for Ushio to Tora, it's mostly reeked of element of nostalgia (very 1990ish, blurgh) to pander to those old school anime fans. Take of those nostalgia google and you'll see that it's just another generic battle shounen anime.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
It's obvious, it's because the majority of today's anime fans are obsessed and infatuated with moe girls genre ect. that they just end up disregarding the fact that most of the genre's shows suck and have horrible plots. Fans like it just for the characters which is why Gakkou Gurashi topped (when it really shouldn't have) Overlord, classroom crisis, Wagnaria and my ppersonal favorite, Ushio to Tora. And I say most, I know definitely not all like Ika Musume or NouCome are bad.

...wait, this is your idea of good "moe girl" anime?

(Don't worry, I watched that show "just for the characters", too.)
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
The Heroic Legend of Arslan is getting no love. Its my favorite show airing, its on funimation which is why I guess few are noticing it.

I'm pray big on that show, particularly the characters of Daryun and Narsus who are like the perfect right hand men to share their wisdom with Arslan. One is a master of strategy the other of combat, both fiercely loyal and competent.

Really I just think fantasy warring kingdoms is a tough sell these days unless it has a beautiful female lead like Akatsuki no Yona. I also have a lot of feeling viewers vastly misjudged Arslans character and dropped it early.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
School Live is both heartwarming and tearjerking. I love it so much. Non Non Biyori is so fun to watch.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Gakkou Gurashi/School-Live! actually was my number two most anticipated summer series since I had already read the manga, although my vote on that poll and this new poll for "still watching" was the same: Non Non Biyori Repeat, for being absolutely on par with the first season, which I loved.

I'm also watching Shimoneta/Shimoseki (dueling abbreviations!) and Himouto! Umaru-chan, but neither one was really on my radar at the time when we were voting on the first poll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmph! wrote:

Um, so far, Overlord is a really average 'trapped in mmo/fantasy world' anime and doesn't bring anything new to the genre. And after 3 seasons of Wagnaria, it's beginning to get dull IMHO and I don't get the hype surrounding it. As for Ushio to Tora, it's mostly reeked of element of nostalgia (very 1990ish, blurgh) to pander to those old school anime fans. Take of those nostalgia google and you'll see that it's just another generic battle shounen anime.

But 90s anime were the greatest. I bet you think the early Gundams were just "generic mech fights" too
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

...wait, this is your idea of good "moe girl" anime?

(Don't worry, I watched that show "just for the characters", too.)

You can't just take one stupid scene and use that against a show and I don't watch shows just for characters, that's moronic. Btw are you telling me there wasn't a single time you didn't laugh during that anime? Thanks for disregarding the fact I also listed Ika Musume. I'll add a couple more while I'm at it: NnB, Chobits, hell Toradora and one I think you could relate to Moretsu Space Pirates (yes I did actually enjoy that)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Like Tenchi and John, I'm really enjoying School-Live, but since I was a big fan of the manga going into it, it hasn't really blown me away. I generally know what's going to happen at any given point, and there haven't been any real surprises like there were with the Mikagura School Suite adaptation last season.

I've felt much more excited (if that's the right word) for Non Non Biyori. It's been consistently good all season, although the high point was definitely the "new bike" episode. If pressed, I'd probably say it is the show I'm most looking forward to any given week.

I was really looking forward to Gatchaman CROWDS Insight going into this season; the last time it aired, it ended up my personal favorite anime of the year. This time around, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the story. CROWDS has never really been much of an "action" show, but I feel as though they've dialed back the conflict this season, to the point where I'm finding it hard to stay invested in what the characters are doing.

I was interested in Overlord enough to start reading the light novels, but I gave up around book 3, and gave up on the show not long after. There's nothing wrong with it, exactly; it just didn't end up developing the way I thought it would, and I lost interest.

I haven't been keeping up to date with much else, although the results of this poll have put Snow White back on my radar, so maybe I'll check it out at some point.

Jajanken wrote:
You can't just take one stupid scene and use that against a show and I don't watch shows just for characters, that's moronic. Btw are you telling me there wasn't a single time you didn't laugh during that anime? Thanks for disregarding the fact I also listed Ika Musume. I'll add a couple more while I'm at it: NnB, Chobits, hell Toradora and one I think you could relate to Moretsu Space Pirates (yes I did actually enjoy that)

I wasn't disregarding anything; I've never seen Ika Musume, so I can't really comment one way or another about it.

I do watch a lot of shows for the sake of their characters, though. I think Non Non Biyori and Toradora are two good examples: without Renge, Non Non Biyori loses a lot of its emotional weight as a coming-of-age story, and Taiga's chemistry with Ryuji was honestly the only thing that kept me watching Toradora. On the other end of the scale, I'm not a huge fan of Madoka Magica, because I don't think it really does enough to distinguish its characters from cookie-cutter anime character archetypes. It has a lot of good qualities, but for me, its characters aren't one of them.

...and I liked NouCome. I don't consider it a "moe girls" show, though, and I wouldn't call Space Pirates "moe", either. I certainly wouldn't use either of them as examples of how moe anime can be "good". They're both just shows, that people like or dislike for a variety of factors.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
chito895 wrote:

Why?

1. You obviously have not watched even a single episode of Gakkou Gurashi.

2. What is wrong with liking a show for the characters? SoL shows have simple plots and focus on the characters. That's the genre convention. It's like saying that Horror is worse than Comedy just because there aren't enough laughs in Horror. No one genre is better than another.

3. You complain about shows with no plot and list Working! as one of your favorite series... How is that not SoL as well?

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:

School-Live! (it has an official English name which seems quite fitting, so why not use it?) has a lot more going for it than just the characters being moe. If that's all you're seeing from the series then you are missing out on a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Jackanapes wrote:
The online anime community has been like that for a while but this year I'd swear the toxic cynical shitposting element is louder than ever and I kind of just can't do it anymore. I can't say on average I enjoy engaging with your average internet denizen much anymore unless they can demonstrate they are a rational breed that won't overkill it on the histrionics. I'm mostly just glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I went through a bit of a phase where I wasn't even enjoying anime but ever since I kind of gave up on the rest of the fanbase and stuck to my own tastes and interests its been fun again. I mean really what's the point of trying to engage someone about something I like for them to probably just not bother having a real conversation and telling me why my taste is apparently objective shit and all those stock one liner insults that get thrown around these days in lieu of real discussion and community. Shame but its for the best to stay out of it as much as possible or anime will never be fun for me.

THIS SO MUCH. I'm perfectly fine with debates and exchanges of opinions. However, there are many fans who will not use logic and bash a show without thinking though WHY they don't like it. Not to mention, this crusade against moe is getting tiring. Poor moe has been made the scapegoat for so many things it's just sad...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:

School-Live! (it has an official English name which seems quite fitting, so why not use it?)

For this bit, until about a week after the anime debuted searching in "School Live" would more likely give you Love Live if it was an anime related response via google of youtube search.

School Live is a more than apt name, but when trying to search for it had been a bit annoying at times so habits will take time to die if at all.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:

I don't watch shows just for characters, that's moronic.

It isn't. Having characters you like helps you to enjoy a series. If you don't like them, it's hard to enjoy it. A charismatic character makes it easier for you to watch. Over the recent years, I've seen people who are overly obsessed with plots. A good plot is good for the overall quality, true, but if people are too obsessed of looking for good plots, they lose the joy of watching series with simple premises or a lack of plot. Their taste are way too specific and lack a wide spectrum of tolerance. And I'm not referring specifically to you, I'm referring to the general anime fandom.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
chito895 wrote:

Why?

Eh, while it is true that it uses a moe character design and some other moe aspects, isn't it more of a case where you are judging it based on appearances? Many of us just like survival horror (the reason why Doom was for many the game to play in the early 90's), and many love psychological horror. It's not Doom, nor anything that gets any close, but it's dark enough not to be lump together with every season's action fantasy moe rcchi with annoyingly empty characters.

This is a bit like claiming Madoka Magica got its main fanbase out of moe design. You may think what you want on any of the mentioned shows, but the moe design is definitely not why people are watching them.

And another thing: CC's character design is not what I'd call ''anti-moe''. Indeed Classroom Crisis is one of the best shows this season, but the way I look at it (as someone who has watched it thus far) so is Gakkou Gurashi!/School-Live!.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(it has an official English name which seems quite fitting, so why not use it?)

"Circumstances". Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4