• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Livers, One Piece Fans Butt Heads Over Eiichiro Oda Comment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Huh, I saw Oda's comment a few days ago on Crunchyroll News, but Viz's translation made it seem much more friendly.
So was Viz's translation wrong (since ANN's translation does sound much more agressive) or are the "Love Livers" (oh god why) exaggerating?
Probably the latter...

The translation is taken from the source article (Rocket News 24) linked at the bottom, as are the Japanese fan comments. I do think it's interesting that "When I went to Kanda Myojin shrine, I saw they were having a cross-promotional campaign with Love Live! Why did this happen?" is reading more aggressive than Viz's above, which has the more incredulous punctuation "?!"

CrowLia wrote:
Is "Livers" an official name for Love Live fans or was it just randomly picked by whoever wrote the report?

This question has cropped up in a couple of articles. Livers is "official" in that it's either self-proclaimed by Japanese fans or by Japanese publications that use it. ANN didn't come up with it. I'm assuming it as a similar origination as "Honkers" for Honoka.

lavmintrose wrote:
Honestly? The lowest in this situation are ANN and any other news source that chooses to represent a whole fandom by stupid comments from the requisite supervocal fringe crazies.

The first sentence of the article: "Love Live! superfans (Livers)"

Paragraph before the quotes: "some fans thought the comment was more critical than curious."

I think the article did a fair job of not making sweeping generalizations about the average fans of the show (of which there are many).

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Kaizoku vs lolicon defenders? Oda FTW.

urghh since when Love Live got loli?
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Kaizoku vs lolicon defenders? Oda FTW.

urghh since when Love Live got loli?
Since oh I don't know:

OH&S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Huh? You got a problem with that?”

“Listen punk, if you make an enemy of the Love Livers, your life as a manga artist is over!”

“Who does this guy think he is? I'm sending an email of complaint to Shueisha.”

“If you've got so much free time that you can be hanging out at shrines, why don't you work on writing an interesting story?”

“You picking a fight with the Love Livers? You wanna die?”

“No one cares about One Piece anymore.”

How cute. Talk about an overreaction. Rolling Eyes It didn't even sound like he was picking any fight.

Quote:
“Love Livers sure are sensitive.”

“Yep, Love Livers are worse than the garbage of society. It's rude to cockroaches and ants to say they're on the same level as them.”

“Garbage Livers.”

I second the notion of Love Livers being sensitive. Though next two comments are a bit too generalized. As long as they were just focused on the original critics I would have no complaints.

Quote:
“Oda's comment is an appropriate, if roundabout, criticism of current Japanese cultural standards.”

Now that's taking it too far in the opposite direction. Rolling Eyes

I wonder how Love Live fans responded to one of the more recent Gintama chapters which explicitly namedropped Love Live many times?

----

This is all very strange. I swear that there was an article on Crunchyroll which said that Oda had become Love Live fan and wanted to do a collaboration with them. I guess that was a mistranslation then?

---

And am I the only that chuckles at the fact the Love Live fans refer to themselves as Liv-ers? Cool
48 Rices

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
Dang it, I was going to be the one to mention fava beans and a nice chianti...

are you lecter or something Very Happy

Honestly, this needs to stop. I'm a fan of both series and found this very disappointing.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
I wrote:
I'm curious...Is this skirmish occurring from the Japanese fanbase, or is it on the Western side of it?

octopodpie wrote:
The translation is taken from the source article (Rocket News 24) linked at the bottom, as are the Japanese fan comments.

Although it wasn't your intention, my sincere thanks to you for your answer. Smile
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“Oda's comment is an appropriate, if roundabout, criticism of current Japanese cultural standards.”

Reading a bit too far into Oda's words there, even if part of me completely agrees.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Calculus20 wrote:
More proof why idol anime fans are the worst and the whole idol craze needs to stop.

I am still pretty sure the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase is the worst. And I would know because I am a Sonic fan.

Oh please, just mentioning the Fate series will cause a temper tantrum of massive proportions. Laughing

At the end of the day, two fandoms of the most popular and commercially successful franchises won't cause any financial damage in the long run. Give it two more days and it'll be all over.

Edit: Actually, Oda brings up a very good point. Other than location, what does Love Live! has anything to do with One Piece? This is a totally random crossover with barely any correlation.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
I'm a MASSIVE LL fan, probably spent about $3000+ on figures, art books, blurays, games, posters and tons of other stuff but I don't really understand the need to get this crazy or worked up over things. I know every community has those people always looking for a fight but I'm a simple person haha
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
This seems like a "Someone said something that *could* be taken to be less than 100% behind something that I love, so I hate that person and wish he would die" kind of thing.

It's just... a little overreactive and childish. Just... a little.
Hmph!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Quote:

Reading a bit too far into Oda's words there, even if part of me completely agrees.

Right back at him, with the abundant of gigantic mammaries and scantily clad women in OP.
otagirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Edit: Actually, Oda brings up a very good point. Other than location, what does Love Live! has anything to do with One Piece? This is a totally random crossover with barely any correlation.

Dat misunderstanding...Confused
There is no crossover between LL and OP. The cross-promotion is between LL and Kanda Shrine. Livers would know the relevance of this.

While I don't find anything particularly wrong with Oda's comment, it's obvious to see how people may interpret it in negative/different ways. As is evident from the comments dished out on both side of the fandoms.
Otaku have always been sensitive about their hobbies and Oda should know this being part of the culture himself.
I think it was rather careless of him to casually allow something like that to be printed. It's an answer he could have easily searched for on the net in a minute on his cell phone while he was there, or, even just asking one of the Miko/ staff, especially since he visited the site.

Openly announcing his ignorance for a series that has a dedicated fanbase is just asking for trouble, it doesn't matter how popular or relevant you think you are. It could be seen as a sign of disrespect, of course some people won't take that very well.
Not that I think the mutual slandering is appropriate.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
Well this is not really gonna go anywhere is it
I don't even know what this livers thing is just some otaku crap i don't care about it so they need need to shut up.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
The guy goes out for once, and finds out a cross-promotion that involves his product and livelihood and he knows nothing of it? of course he is going to ask why is it happening.

But chances are it was not a cross-promotion at all and she was just cosplaying, needless to say, she was indeed using his product as a mean to boost her own career anyways, in the end you can't really blame Oda, or the girl really, her team should be more careful in the future.

As for the fans, man those little shits...
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
[pics]

That doesn't make it loli? It's innocent flashbacks to their childhoods. By that reasoning every single manga or anime with a child in it is classed as a loli series...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5