• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Livers, One Piece Fans Butt Heads Over Eiichiro Oda Comment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
Doomroar wrote:
The guy goes out for once, and finds out a cross-promotion that involves his product and livelihood and he knows nothing of it? of course he is going to ask why is it happening.

But chances are it was not a cross-promotion at all and she was just cosplaying, needless to say, she was indeed using his product as a mean to boost her own career anyways, in the end you can't really blame Oda, or the girl really, her team should be more careful in the future.

What? You should reread the article.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
Both of you sides, grow up. Rolling Eyes [Refering to just the ones acting like this, of course]

People, just... Just Stop the Madness! To Hell with these guys. Both of them. Are these guys idiots? Your country is aging and is a mess, you still have people living in crappy improvised homes after the Tohoku Earthquake, you have a government who does not give a damn about workers (i.g. you or your parents, depending on your age), nor about women, nor about anybody but Japan Inc. , the Trade Agreement may kill your beloved Doujin Culture forever... And you guys are still busy turning one of Japan's sources of joy into THIS LAME CHILDISH SHOW OF BRAVADO!!!?

On a sidenote, I am more likely to watch Love Live, on the basis of the gigantic size of One Piece, that still grows like a wild plant. But tastes are as tastes go. Live and Let Live, Otaku. Live and Let Live.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
The way I see it, the Livers overreacted big time ("you wanna die?" Really?), and the Piecers, IMO, showed more restraint overall.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
Anonymous comments are newsworthy these days?
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Anonymous comments are newsworthy these days?

To be fair, it is under "Interest" and not "News".
Daiarana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
Hmph! wrote:
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Quote:
“Oda's comment is an appropriate, if roundabout, criticism of current Japanese cultural standards.”

Reading a bit too far into Oda's words there, even if part of me completely agrees.

Right back at him, with the abundant of gigantic mammaries and scantily clad women in OP.

I don't think Oda was comparing content. He was probably wondering what an anime series like Love Live was doing promoting a spiritual place and vice versa. I sure do.

On another note, why on earth is this now a "fandom" war? Way to go, trying to stigmatize either fandom due to a few immature brats that can't read and understand at the same time. With a degree in communication, I get that it's more dramatic to scope it like that, but honestly...

Fact is, people interpret things as they want to according to where they are in their own life. I wonder what kind of heat those poor Love Live fans are taking, since they get so prissy about a rather innocuous question. Either way, threats are SO beyond the acceptable. Sad

Last edited by Daiarana on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Is there anybody here who has read the actual comment in the magazine and can translate it accurately?

The Rocket News 24 translation has Oda saying "... they were having a cross-promotional campaign ..."

The Viz translation that was referenced earlier in this thread has him saying "I ... ended up doing a collabo with ..."

Those seem to me to be two rather different things, which would give the question different meanings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
{Post deleted for over-quoting. Try again. ~nobahn}
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
I think Love Live! is closely associated with Akihabara because after all, the fictional Otonokizaka Academy is supposedly located very close to Akihabara itself and as such, many of the locations from Love Live! are in Akihabara and nearby Kanda, including the Kanda Myojin shrine mentioned in the article.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, everyone calm down.

Oda didn`t seem to concerned about it. He was just wondering. However it is hard to completely understand the tone of a piece of text. Sometimes it`s very colorful though.
Daiarana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
I think Love Live! is closely associated with Akihabara because after all, the fictional Otonokizaka Academy is supposedly located very close to Akihabara itself and as such, many of the locations from Love Live! are in Akihabara and nearby Kanda, including the Kanda Myojin shrine mentioned in the article.

I fully understand that and can see why it would be tempting to use as PR to younger generations, but I assume Oda's reaction is the same as mine would have been had I visited Notre Dame in Paris and seen a promotion for Disney's version of the Hunchback. Would have been rather disappointed - and I'm not even religious...

Anyway, here's to all the other topics far more worthy of a "fandom" catfight. Cheers! Razz
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Is there anybody here who has read the actual comment in the magazine and can translate it accurately?

The Rocket News 24 translation has Oda saying "... they were having a cross-promotional campaign ..."

The Viz translation that was referenced earlier in this thread has him saying "I ... ended up doing a collabo with ..."

Those seem to me to be two rather different things, which would give the question different meanings.

That's weird, because the link earlier to the Viz translation didn't have that text. I'll ask our news team if they know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I went back to the Crunchyroll article and I don't know how I missed that there's the original comment.
Reading that, Viz's translation is definitely wrong. Oda did not "end up collaborating with Love Live".

Rocket News 24's translation is the correct one. About the line in question, なぜそうなったんだろう, it's a bit tricky to translate, but I'd say it might be closer to "I wonder how it came to this".

It's really hard to try to infer Oda's tone, especially when translated, but personally I think he was just curious and asked in a friendly way. I can see how it could be taken in a wrong way, though.

octopodpie wrote:
That's weird, because the link earlier to the Viz translation didn't have that text. I'll ask our news team if they know.

It did. "I went to Kanda Myojin Shrine and ended up doing a collabo with Love Live! School Idol Project." It makes it sound like Oda ran into some representatives from the franchise and they asked him to let One Piece do a collaboration with Love Live. The Crunchyroll article even makes it look like Oda himself had become a "Liver".

Last edited by Selipse on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
That appears to be the conclusion that the news team came to as well, that it was a mistranslation on Viz's part. I hope that helps clear things up.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
Since oh I don't know:

Nearly as bad as the One Piece lolis:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5