• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Changing of the Guard

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Goodbye Bamboo. I've been reading Shelf Life for a long time and even though I disagreed with a lot of your ratings (most of my faves got rentals) they were still interesting reads. Plus, your classic shelf life's were hilarious (the Hoop Days one still cracks me up). As for this week, I haven't watched any of the films but I do have the Bandai Visual special edition of Patlabor 2 unopened on my shelf. I've been ,meaning to watch it...but the first one was kinda slow and hear this one is even more talky. I did love Ghost in the Shell though.

And that transformers collection on the shelves is impressive. Shocked I'm particularly envious of that leader class movie Starscream.
maple

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
Thank you Bamboo, I'm been a fan of your shelf review for long time, many time it introduce me to very interesting anime.
shogun22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
Thank you Bamboo, always enjoyed reading Shelf Life and your reviews/previews.
Good luck on the next chapter of your life.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much Bamboo for the years of work on Shelf Life! It remains my favoirte column on ANN and I hope it will continue to be great.

Again, thanks for the years of hard work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Replacing a voice with another makes for a fresh point-of-view and I'm all for giving someone else a go, whichever the column. Nevertheless, Bamboo; yours will be missed. Snarky, humorous, Pulitzer Prize-like or down and f-bomb dirty, they were always entertaining and informative: the very definition of reviewing. Here's to your future endeavor - may it be just as successful and rewarding!
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for everything, Bamboo. I've been reading your reviews for years; basically I grew up as an anime fan with Shelf Life (along with Buried Treasure). Thanks for introducing us to good anime, and for meeting different genres on their own terms.

I hope you have a great life and future career, wherever it happens to be.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
You guys are too nice!!!! T______________T You can still find me lurking on social media (@ann_bamboo) but I can't promise any stimulating discourse.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, so many changes and people leaving. Right Turn Only, House of 1000 manga, Carl, Carlos and now Bamboo leaving. Sad

Well I'm sad to see you go and I'll miss your "voice", but change is inevitable and moving on to new challenges is part of life. So, I wish you the best with your future endeavors. Smile
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Does the Patlabor 2 blu ray have the English dub Justin is so fond of?
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Bamboo,

I wish you much success in your future endeavors. I will miss your reviews, as you always did a fantastic job, but time waits for no one and if it is your time to move on to the next stage in your life, so be it and best of luck!

As for the reviews... I guess I need to watch Patlabor and Patlabor 2. With that review, it absolutely HAS to go into my "I need to watch this" queue... Too bad that queue is so darned long!
Hastati

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, just wanted to say thank you for years of hard work and lots of laughs. I've always loved reading your pieces, your style of writing and sense of humor have kept me coming back for a long time. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavours!!
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
You will be missed Bamboo. I enjoyed reading your reviews and columns all these years and it'll be a little strange not seeing it anymore.

zensunni wrote:
As for the reviews... I guess I need to watch Patlabor and Patlabor 2.

Definitely recommend Patlabor 2 especially. I actually think it's Oshii's best directed movie from a purely visual standpoint. All the camera angles, scene compositions, and imagery are just beautiful and visually striking. As walw6pK4Alo said, it's a shame that GITS overshadows the rest of Oshii's work, especially his pre-GITS stuff like Patlabor 2 and Angel's Egg.
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks so much, Bamboo, for your reviews over the years! Your Shelf Life and your reviews have made it possible for me to find so many new shows. And being one of only a few reviewers here who's reviews I would turn to I always found yours to be more fair and objective and entertaining than the rest. So, thank you.

I'm pretty sad to see you go and wish I could understand it a little better. Are you losing your interest in the medium? Or does it take so long that it's conflicting with your other interests? I wouldn't think that the column would be that time consuming but I am just a reader, after all.

Whatever the case may be, the loss is ours and I truly hope the best for you in whatever you are doing and I also hope that whatever else is going on in your life doesn't preclude you from coming back in some form in the future. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
I miss one week's column and you run out on us again?! Not cool Bamboo. Ever since I started posting here Shelf Life was always one of my favorite columns. I still remember some of the hentai reviews lol. While I may not have always agreed with you/your opinions on shows or topics I always appreciating hearing a differing view point. Often Shelf Life helped me decide what shows to buy, or what shows not to buy. The spirited conversations were also a highlight for me. You were also a wonderfully nice person to meet in person. Hopefully sometime you might tag along with the ANN crew at a con and do some cosplay coverage.

Hopefully now that you have your masters (I'm not mistaken am I?) you can go make the big bucks and enjoy a life of posh and luxury with all the comforts you want. You'll need them for comfort when the grips of despair hit you after my Washington Capitals kick your Avs butt back to Colorado when we meet up this year, and then go and win the Cup while you sit at home! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4