• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! Eternal Summer Home Video Release Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I think it's also because Funi is licensing so many titles and working on the broadcast dubs that they might have less quality control on some of their boxsets.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
From the little I've personally heard of the dub, and the lot I've heard from others who have seen much more of it, I wouldn't mind waiting for them to release it if they were actually fixing the dub. But there's only so much they could do since I'm 99.9997% sure there's no way they'd change the cast.

It doesn't matter too much to me though since the sub is fantastic, so I'll probably cringe my way through one dubbed episode and then return to the sub.

On the optimistic side, maybe there's just a delay from the suppliers for the LE goodies? Like the towels or postcards are late, haha.

What's the problem with the dub?
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

It's a J. Micheal Tatum script, aka lots of rewriting the context of certain scenes and character dialogue to the point of it almost coming across as a completely different show to the japanese version
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

It's a J. Micheal Tatum script, aka lots of rewriting the context of certain scenes and character dialogue to the point of it almost coming across as a completely different show to the japanese version

It's not that bad...

Tatum is historically...verbose in his script writing, he has a tendency to be too fancy and drift a bit, usually it's nothing too major and it rarely, if ever, hurts the show. I'm pretty sure the head writer and other roles have to approve scripts too.

There's actually a DVD commentary on Fairy Tail where Tyler Walker talks Shakespeare acting with Chermi Leigh and Tabitha Ray, the Actress who played Michelle, and he says a "Writer" once tried to do a script for a dub in Shakespearean verse and it did not work. he then coughs out Tatum's name.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Blame J. Michael Tatum for that one. He's had this tendency since The Future Diary to be really, really loose with his scripts (to the point of outright changing the story). Attack on Titan also suffered from this, and in the second half of the series FUNi brought in Tyson Rinehart to tighten them up. Assassination Classroom also came really close to breaking outright from the original script in many instances.

On top of that, he seems to have this tendency of using Shakespearean writing, if I correctly recall. Of course, he may have dropped that by now...
loveless80

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Well since the release is delayed, why not put the OVA on the release now instead of a separate release for a 25 mins OVA!! I can keep dreaming...
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Anyone want to make a guess it got delayed due to the dub? You know, what led to Eva 3.33 getting delayed?
The dub that's perfectly fine as is and has long since been complete and has been available for viewing on Funimation's website for a while now? Doubt it.

I would be extremely disappointed in Funimation if they were to bow to the toxic Vic Mignogna hate campaign or redo a whole dub because the people who made it enjoyed doing their jobs a little too much. But I very much doubt that's the case.
wAnder481

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how relevant this may be, but Funi seems to have missed One Piece Season 7 Voyage 2's release last week as well. RACS made a comment in their newsletter attributing it to a logistics issue. I may be wrong, but I remeber this particular volume having a higher preorder price on rightstuf which they stated was due to Funimation switching distribution over to Universal. Whatever the case is, I think Free, and a handful of other titles are probably falling victim to this as well.

Again... purely speculation.

EDIT: Correcting myself... it was Fairy Tail's release that had its prices increase.
https://www.facebook.com/rightstuf/posts/10153264964707745

EDIT 2: Also found this: https://twitter.com/animetoday/status/642073090416095232

Last edited by wAnder481 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:16 am; edited 3 times in total
limabeanicecream

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
The dub that's perfectly fine as is and has long since been complete and has been available for viewing on Funimation's website for a while now? Doubt it.

I would be extremely disappointed in Funimation if they were to bow to the toxic Vic Mignogna hate campaign or redo a whole dub because the people who made it enjoyed doing their jobs a little too much.

The controversy over the poor treatment of this show goes way beyond such a dismissive write off and it's important people know the truth behind why so many fans are upset. As well as why funimation should do the right thing and re-do the series with a script that actually reflects the series Kyoani created.

The funimation dub is nothing like the original series. Voice actor preferences aside, the script is just plain bad. There's excessive swearing, extremely out of character american-ized "dude, man, bro" isms, and even a line where a character refers to himself as "daddy".

It's not wrong of fans of a groundbreaking anime to expect and demand a quality adaptation that is true to the spirit of the show. Free! kicked off a huge wave of anime targeting female fans and is a selling machine. Fans wanted an adaptation that reflected the bonds and relationships of the series. What they got was Tatum's homage to 50% off.

Funimation courted the 50% off audience so deliberately they even had the two voice "actors" from that parody do guest parts in the OFFICIAL dub and one of them introduced a premier at a convention for Funimation. They need to make this right or crunchyroll needs to release their own dub that actually is about the story we saw in the japanese anime. Not 50% off.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
limabeanicecream wrote:

The funimation dub is nothing like the original series. Voice actor preferences aside, the script is just plain bad. There's excessive swearing, extremely out of character american-ized "dude, man, bro" isms, and even a line where a character refers to himself as "daddy".

Funimation courted the 50% off audience so deliberately they even had the two voice "actors" from that parody do guest parts in the OFFICIAL dub and one of them introduced a premier at a convention for Funimation. They need to make this right or crunchyroll needs to release their own dub that actually is about the story we saw in the japanese anime. Not 50% off.

That "Daddy" line from Momo was sooooo odd I actually laughed a little. -///-

Note: Crunchyroll has no authority or ability to dub any series. Hence why Season 1 was handed over to Discotek and got a cheap DVD only, zero extras, and the cover looks like s*it. Not that I'm mad anymore since Discotek recent announcements had me quite excited.

I will agree that the frat boy speech of the characters are absolutely odd and off putting. Still cringe over that "I got backstroke for days" line that makes no sense whatsoever but, kinda funny. Not that uncommon for scripts to either be direct translations, little modification to suit Western audiences or, in this case, tempered with to death. Space Dandy's dub was a good example of tampering with the script for more Western audience appeal but, Free!, like most KyoAni shows, don't really benefit from cursing or extremely dated memes since its such a camp, feel good show.

Oh well, at least subtitles still viable option whenever my Collector's Edition arrives. (-___-
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
limabeanicecream wrote:
It's not wrong of fans of a groundbreaking anime to expect and demand a quality adaptation that is true to the spirit of the show. Free! kicked off a huge wave of anime targeting female fans and is a selling machine. Fans wanted an adaptation that reflected the bonds and relationships of the series. What they got was Tatum's homage to 50% off.

So that's why the English version of Eternal Summer didn't fare so well critically. They were basically doing a tribute to a fan dub...

I know it's an impossibility financially, but I would really love to have a new English version that's unadulterated...
rinshiiya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
That's not even remotely the case & I wish those who have hardly seen the dub would stop making such huge exaggerations like that (not pointing fingers to anyone in particular here, but there's a been a LOT of talk over the past 12 weeks.)

I'm not saying the dub (the script side of it) is great or flawless because it really isn't. there are a lot of problems with it & as someone who avidly watches & enjoys the dub (& defends it on a daily basis because 90% of the hate for it is extremely out of hand & unnecessary & hypocritical) I can still see the many issues it has. but to go to the lengths of "it is a tribute to 50% OFF" or "Tatum changed the plot" is absolutely ridiculous. what is the new plot then, if Free! ES is "just a joke dub" like 50% OFF?

FUNi brought Alex & Brett in to record a few lines for some background characters but that doesn't automatically mean "omg they're actually making the official dub 50% OFF." you know the reason why they brought those two in is because of a tweet Alex made jokingly asking to voice Iwatobi-chan. to which FUNi responded via private message "hey, you guys make a fun fan series of the anime & fans like it & like you, & YOU like Free! & WE like you so how about if you want to be in the show?" it was a spur of the moment thing that happened way back in November & yeah, I suppose you COULD still argue "but that's still a homage to 50% OFF" but like I said already, in what way did the anime change it's entire plot to "compare" to 50% OFF? (also, dubbing companies like FUNi NEED to ask permission from the Japanese producers to make any changes to dubs. so if you think all these "changes" in Free! are FUNi's fault, you should actually be blaming Kyoani for allowing it? but that's a topic for another day.)

also, Tatum has actually explained "I've got backstroke for days" & it makes PERFECT sense once you think about it. still a weird line but at least there's a solid explanation behind it.

it seems like people who are, for lack of a better word, complaining about the dub are picking apart the lines that are one liners & aren't even plot relevant. "backstroke for days" was a weird line, but at least it has a meaning. "don't be a d-bag" WAS unnecessary but it doesn't affect the plot down the road. "daddy's gonna get his freak on" was more hilarious to me than anything, & once again, it isn't even plot related. that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to be bothered by these things (there have been a few lines in later episodes that have irritated me quite a bit, those lines of which WERE plot related) but I'm not going to let a dozen silly lines completely ruin the dub experience when the plot is still coming along as being VERY solid, just like it was in the original dub.

that got off topic fast but anyway. there's my two cents.
budou14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Finally, rinshiiya brings some sense to the short-sighted hate in this thread. Yes, Tatum takes liberties with his scripts, but why is that a problem? It certainly worked in the Steins;Gate dub, and Patrick Seitz’s numerous additions to Space Dandy’s scripts helped bring unprecedented ratings to a broadcast anime on Toonami. (http://www.japanator.com/healthy-ratings-for-space-dandy-at-top-of-toonami-charts-31286.phtml)

The Japanese scripts work exactly as they were made. In Japanese. Adapting them into English is a convoluted process, not only because of the difficulties of translation, but because of deeply differing word-usages between the two languages. Flaps have to be matched, and direct translations oftentimes sound stilted in English. Take お疲れ様/Otsukaresama for example. In Japanese, you say it either to a coworker as a catch-all greeting, or to someone who has just finished something requiring a bit of effort. In English, we don’t have anything for that first scenario. We might say “hey,” while avoiding awkward eye-contact. For the second, we might say “good job!” Neither of those have anything to do with the direct translation: “You are one who is honorably tired.” In essence, we need liberties taken to enhance our understanding in a dub environment, because translations don’t work. Would you want a character saying “good job” to someone after a swim meet, or “you are one who is honorably tired”?

Furthermore, the way emotion is conveyed is completely different in English. At the part where the Free! guys are looking into each other’s eyes saying their names over and over, we get that they care deeply about each other, but when was the last time you saw this happen in anything originally written in English? You haven’t! We would need actual dialog for it to feel real and not over the top! Fixing these instances that would sound superficial or completely nonsensical in English pays far more homage to the series by creating something that will be entertaining for an English-speaking audience as opposed to awkward weeaboo drivel.

Limabeanicecream makes a point of saying that the dub is ‘nothing like’ the original series, but the original series had an authentic representation of how high school students talk to each other, in Japanese. Is Limabeanicecream familiar with how high school guys on sports teams talk to each other in English? I have a brother in high school, and every other word out of his mouth is ‘bro’ or ‘man’. Are the dubs going to be perfectly faithful to the Japanese? No. But when the Japanese is adhered to perfectly, you get dub quality like we had in the 90s. If you want the authentic ‘Japanese’ experience, why are you even watching a dub in the first place?

I think users like Kadmos1 have it right. FUNimation bit off more than they could chew with all the licensing and simuldubs over the past year, and are now scrambling to finish a ton of titles. What won't help the delay is having a select few vocal dissenters stampeding around screaming that they demand a bland, un-creative, dramatically stagnant "fix" to an already complete adaptation.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
budou14 wrote:
snip.

If this were Reddit, I would give you gold.

Anyway, on the topic of the delay, I suppose this would explain my confusion when I tried to order this for a friend's birthday. I thought Eternal Summer had already come out, but when I went to Amazon, the release date said December for some reason.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
I went to Amazon, the release date said December for some reason.

Ugh, really? That sucks...I was hoping it'd only be like 3ish weeks at the most...so much for getting it in time for Youmacon :/

To the person who mentioned the OVA, just noticed this on the page for the Premium edition

"Customers who purchase the Premium Edition will receive an offer for a discount on the OVA (to be released at a later date)!"

Which I agree is dumb and wish they'd just bundle it...seeing as they'll probably try to sell the OVA for 20-30 dollars or something ridiculous -_-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3