• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime club suggestions?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pottsusensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Hello all!!!

So I've done a search of the forums and either I didn't find anything, or I just really suck at searching.

Anyway I'm in my 3rd year of running an anime club at a high school, and I am trying to get new ideas to keep the club fresh and interesting for the students. As of now, our meetings consist of talking anime news, watching anime, and planning small trips (dinner, Japanese markets, etc.), and planning video game parties. I've also reached out to a couple magazines, and production companies to get subscriptions.

I was wondering if anyone in here had some fresh suggestions, or if you were in an anime club of your own, what would you like to see or do?

Thank you so much for being patient with a newb.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
First of all, where are you located?
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Why not create a manga strip and get it published in the school newspaper/website? If you really want a challenge and if you have the time, though, you could design your own cosplay outfits (or at least draw them on paper). Design club logo for T-shirts. Other things I can think of are anime-themed karaoke nights and making Bento boxes. Nothing too original, but you gotta start somewhere to get the ball rolling. Laughing

I'm an anime newb myself, compared to many on these boards, but since I find the topic interesting I decided that I should at least make a contribution. Wink
pottsusensei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
First of all, where are you located?

In the Los Angeles County. Interestingly enough in Gardena which is supposed to have a huge Japanese population. We have a few trips planned to some local retailers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night fox wrote:
Why not create a manga strip and get it published in the school newspaper/website? If you really want a challenge and if you have the time, though, you could design your own cosplay outfits (or at least draw them on paper). Design club logo for T-shirts. Other things I can think of are anime-themed karaoke nights and making Bento boxes. Nothing too original, but you gotta start somewhere to get the ball rolling. Laughing

I'm an anime newb myself, compared to many on these boards, but since I find the topic interesting I decided that I should at least make a contribution. Wink

thank you! These are really great ideas!

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Cons? How about an anime pilgrimage to Japan?

Don't laugh, it was on my first trip to Japan, I just got off the plane at NRT when all the sudden after 15 hours of flights did I hear, "OMG!!! IT'S PIKACHU!!!" then a crowd of about twenty Americans went running to the terminal window to a B747 wrap job

I palm smacked and a teacher came up and apologized stating, the anime club's first trip to Japan.

Of course it was at this point I discovered if I was not in Tokyo for work, I would have immediately become a denpa NEET or hikikimori out of sheer embarrassment of being American at that moment.

I pay to whatever my kids never acted like this in public.
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I second the conventions suggestion. There is really no better way to expand your views on anime and connect with other fans.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
Your club sounds a lot more fun than the one I joined my first year of college. All those bums did was watch the first episodes of dated animes and eat Little Caesars :/
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
As long as one person in your club can read hiragana, hiragana karuta can be a lot of fun as it helps every club member learn hiragana and simple vocabulary while not feeling like you are only studying.

The game is $15.00 on Amazon.
Link
pottsusensei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Great ideas....we are in an area that is not very wealthy, so expensive trips would probably be out of the question. I hope to go to a con this year though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1