• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Shit, that was hilarious, I wish I could have been there but was only in AX on Saturday next time I should buy a three day pass.

Zac, your prizes made me laugh my ass off. I would have asked about Heat Guy J Anime hyper

Sad that Princess Knight Guy wasn't in the Panel this year lol
It was also funny when Zac told the lady at the back to shut up, and when he asked the guy if he was over 18 Anime hyper
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like it was heaps of fun! I'll make a point to go to the ANN Australia panel at the next con, although I know it'll be nothing like this ^^

Seems like Zac and Justin aren't too great at thinking up answers on the spot? =P
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
This was fun to listen to. I wish it had been longer, but I understand how that could be in various ways impractical. I enjoyed Zac's gleeful malevolence in giving prizes out. If I somehow could have been there I might have tried to contrive a question just to see what might be inflicted upon me. (Maybe Beet the Vandel Buster; I hear that kids 8-12 love it)

I'd like the second the appreciation for Justin Sevakis' Buried Treasures column. It introduced me to several titles that I want to see some day, like Night on the Galactic Railroad and it was nice to read about a few favorites that loomed large in my youth, like Project A-Ko and Dominion Tank Police. I even bought a cheap copy of The Humanoid out of morbid curiosity, which was, in its peculiar way, rewarded.

I'm also really glad that I found out about The Time Stranger.

I look forward to more reviews from Zac; they're usually very entertaining to read.

I totally wish that I had gotten that copy of volume two of Cyberteam in Akihabara.

Good on Zac for not going to see Transformers 3. We need more like that. Several tens of millions more, in fact.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:50 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Thud? Blue Exorcist is selling really, really well. Maybe it's the thud of money smacking the ground you're hearing.

How can that be? The DVDs haven't been released in the states yet? Or are you talking about the manga? Also, I view this as a sub only first release then when the show has completed its run, it'll get a collection release with a dub (maybe if the sales deem it financially feasible). That was my take on it when they announced it.

In addition, it seems like the anime has boosted sales of all previously released volumes of the manga into the 300-400 thousand range, with new volumes winding up around said range. Its popularity really looks to have happened rather suddenly.

There's very little content to work with, given how there's only 5-6 volumes of material right now. I see it capping out at 24 episodes; I really don't think this is the kind of title that can venture into filler territory and leave with minor bruises.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that Blue Exorcist is one of the top five selling anime this season and KoH's numbers sound right, think I saw one or both of the US manga on the manga bestseller list too, so that makes it all the more strange that Aniplex would rather get it out fast without a dub than trying to get it aired on Adult Swim with one. Also, pretty sure it's been confirmed at just 2 cour, there's not a ton of source material to start with and I just have a hard time imaging A-1 animating a long running shonen show.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Shit, that was hilarious, I wish I could have been there but was only in AX on Saturday next time I should buy a three day pass.

Zac, your prizes made me laugh my ass off. I would have asked about Heat Guy J Anime hyper

Sad that Princess Knight Guy wasn't in the Panel this year lol
It was also funny when Zac told the lady at the back to shut up, and when he asked the guy if he was over 18 Anime hyper

It wasn't a lady in the back, they where right across the hall from the Karaoke room, and she was loud.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to see that ANN's little simulcast experiment turned out to be so unpleasant for those involved, though given the whole situation with the leak and the fact that ANN doesn't have a particularly large number of staff members (and didn't hire anyone new for the simulcasts), I suppose it's not surprising.

I enjoyed the ANNCast quite a bit. Maybe some day in the future I'll actually be able to attend an anime convention like AX, but for now at least coverage from sites like ANN will have to do.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
I loved the video game episode, and I love this one as well. Smile
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote
I had this sort of perverse desire to see Princess Knight Guy show up again, but I guess that was too much to hope for.

Quote:
Yeah, I would not use Miyazaki to try to make someone an anime fan. Showing a person one of his films is like showing them a regular Western animation film, the person will go, "okay, that was good/great/excellent, but how does this prove animation can be deep and not aimed at kids necessarily?"

I think that depends on what movie you show them. Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa aren't really the sort of thing western animation studios tend to produce, and Mononoke in particular might get across the fact that anime can be darker and more "mature" than what they're used to.

Plus, I tend to think that someone isn't going to be receptive to anime anyway if they're not already interested on some level in animation as a whole.
Scamp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
Taking this from the MAL news topic

Quote:
Sales Rankings of the Spring Anime 2011 (the first volumes of Blu-ray + DVD)
*1, 38,577 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
*2, 27,130 Tiger & Bunny
*3, 20,807 Ao no Exorcist
*4, 13,469 Steins;Gate
*5, *9,643 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. (TV)
*6, *7,505 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
*7, *6,786 Hidan no Aria
*8, *6,334 A-Channel
*9, *5,786 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
10, *3,544 Nichijou
11, *1,321 Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou
12, *1,316 Astarotte no Omocha!
13, *1,025 Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=304216

Anything that reaches 5 figure sales is deemed a huge success (I think it was the 3000 mark that was needed to break even). So yes, Blue Exorcist has done anything other than thud in the Japanese market
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I had this sort of perverse desire to see Princess Knight Guy show up again, but I guess that was too much to hope for.

Quote:
Yeah, I would not use Miyazaki to try to make someone an anime fan. Showing a person one of his films is like showing them a regular Western animation film, the person will go, "okay, that was good/great/excellent, but how does this prove animation can be deep and not aimed at kids necessarily?"

I think that depends on what movie you show them. Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa aren't really the sort of thing western animation studios tend to produce, and Mononoke in particular might get across the fact that anime can be darker and more "mature" than what they're used to.

Plus, I tend to think that someone isn't going to be receptive to anime anyway if they're not already interested on some level in animation as a whole.

That's true, but all people said "Miyazaki" in general. Stuff like Castle of Cagliostro, Totoro, Spirited Away, or Ponyo, while all great/excellent films, aren't exactly going to make people go, "wow, this really is different from western animation!"

To put it in perspective, my mother once watched Spirited Away when it was on TV without having any idea it was anime. She enjoyed it, but thought it was not much different from your average cartoon film. Then when she watched Paranoia Agent with me years later, she loved it but also asked, "my gosh, I didn't think they were allowed to animate stories aimed for adults". See the obvious contrast here?

Also, if you want to make an anime fan out of someone, you want them to get invested in the characters and story that's presented to them. That's easier to accomplish with a full series as opposed to a 90-minute movie. While I definitely consider quite a few anime films to be excellent, none of them have really made me get invested in the characters compared to series such as Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Evangelion, etc.

Sanosuke_Inara: SOME of his films are deep, but they're certainly not the deepest anime out there. And yes, whether you like or not, some of his films are clearly aimed at children. Not saying adults can't enjoy them, but the target audience is obvious
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
And yes, whether you like or not, some of his films are clearly aimed at children. Not saying adults can't enjoy them, but the target audience is obvious
Except I never denied that some of his films are obviously for targeting kids. -___-
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
That's true, but all people said "Miyazaki" in general. Stuff like Castle of Cagliostro, Totoro, Spirited Away, or Ponyo, while all great/excellent films, aren't exactly going to make people go, "wow, this really is different from western animation!"

It could just be because not a lot of people are as fanatical about animation in general. That or they wouldn't even bother making a commitment and prioritizing watching loads of unknown content from an unknown region between school, work, chores, errands, bills/letters, and what-not. The fact you even got your own mom to watch a TV series like Paranoia Agent AT ALL, regardless of how extreme the content is, sounds really rare. Especially if it was on DVD or something. A lot of adults I imagine wouldn't have time to watch a lot of content on TV between whatever they have to prioritze in their lives and whenever they do have time to watch anything, they simply stick to whatever they know they like to watch that happens to be on whatever channels they've been stuck with over the years.

A lot of people in America regardless of what anime fans like to think about their taste in content, have developed thier tastes based on whatever movies or TV shows they're widely exposed to. So regardless of whether it's a Ghibli film or some extremely violent and dark tv series or some show about characters dying to make the audience cry, the notion of making either your family or friends watch something that's not like what they normally like to watch at all and to watch hours and hours full of that content can be like a chore to them.
Cadmium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Jerry Beck was named as a possible future guest on the show. That would be awesome. The man has an encylopedic knowledge of animation history. He may not be directly involved with anime anymore, but I'm sure he could tell a few interesting stories.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I should clarify: Blue Exorcist is a pretty decent hit in Japan, but its activity level for US fans is pretty mediocre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3