• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Okay, after some prodding from a friend, I decided to watch Asterisk War

The best way to describe it is "mediocre enough to watch".

The only thing good about it is its art and animation which are well done and the particle effects for the magic equivalent are well generated even if the effects themselves stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the animation.

Storywise, second episode had a small scene where one of the characters espouses about the main character's abilities which annoys me as it reminds me too much of Irregular. Other than that, it's not offensive but it is stupid and follows tropes too much
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact:
The Testament LNs are written by the same dude who wrote the Hagure Yuusha LNs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well the second episode of Peeping Life Season 1? was a mixed bag like the first, and overall was quite entertaining (and educational, since I had to look up several series this time I'd either never seen or never heard of, like The Genie Family, Triton of the Sea, and Princess Knight).

It's amusing that Triton has gone from sleek to pudgy with boy-boobs, while Bob the Genie has gone the opposite direction. And Boyacky doing his Wayne's World thing with Tink and bonding/competing over being green was fun.

I really wanted to see the Dumb Couple go through customs in Guam with their flu medicine, but it looks like it's straight to their hotel next week. Also looking forward to Casshern and his in-laws.

Still don't know why this didn't get a review (and it appears I'll never find out), but I'm glad to see the OP starting to show up in people's Top OP lists. Didn't notice until this week that BRADIO appears briefly in the OP. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee Loveridge wrote:
It almost feels a little sad given how rife anime was with this plot five to ten years ago, but that's how trends go.

Was it really that common? I only know of maybe half a dozen cases total, the earliest being Seitokai Yakuindomo, which didn't get an anime until 2010.

'Course, my anime knowledge is far from comprehensive.
jomy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Your guide should include the Fafner Exodus second cour. It's definitely one of the better offerings of the season.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Concerning The Testament of Sister New Devil, Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Quote:
This, I felt, was the most uncomfortable section, not only because Kurumi is even less comfortable with it than Mio initially was, but also because, well, incest factor.

I don't think they are actually related. In the first series Kurumi referred to Basara as "brother". My impression is that all of the individuals from that generation of the heroes' village refer to each other as "brother" and "sister".

I suspect that all the "brother" and "sister" bit in this show is deliberate bait for those who like that trope.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Was it really that common? I only know of maybe half a dozen cases total, the earliest being Seitokai Yakuindomo, which didn't get an anime until 2010.

Yes, it was. In many variations. But you should look at older anime, not 2010+
Additionally, in last season we had Prison School, which as I understand from synopsis start from similar premise... and goes bonkers (didn't watch it, so no idea if it's true).
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

'Course, my anime knowledge is far from comprehensive.

Re: straight harem series, these are just the ones I've seen:

Nisekoi
Shuffle!
Ah! My Buddha
Clannad
DNA^2
I"s
The entire Da Capo franchise
Otoboku
Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~
Lamune
Ai Yori Aoshi
Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka
ef: a tale of memories
H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~
Hatsukoi Limited
Kimikiss pure rouge
Myself; Yourself
Oreshura
Princess Lover!
School Days
Toradora!
True Tears
White Album

Adapting light novels seems to more or less replaced adapting h-games, which used to be a large source for fanservice anime and was typically just "guy goes to high school" and might include just a little bit of magic in the setting (Da Capo, ef) or maybe a cross-dressing gimmick (Otoboku). There was much less action focus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
Hulu without ads is $11.95. Isn't that what Crunchy premium is these days? Or CR+ or whatever they're calling it now?

Crunchyroll Premium is $6.95 monthly. If you pay by the year, it is $50. That's what I have. So, no it isn't the same as Hulu++.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
Your guide should include the Fafner Exodus second cour. It's definitely one of the better offerings of the season.

Been said more than once before in this thread: the reason it's not in the Guide is because none of us are current on the franchise, and not reviewing anything where you're not fully up-to-speed is a hard-fast rule. (And given the complaints we've had in the past when people haven't stuck to that, I think it's a good rule.) Garo is an exception because this current series is narratively unconnected to the original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Concerning The Testament of Sister New Devil, Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Quote:
This, I felt, was the most uncomfortable section, not only because Kurumi is even less comfortable with it than Mio initially was, but also because, well, incest factor.

I don't think they are actually related. In the first series Kurumi referred to Basara as "brother". My impression is that all of the individuals from that generation of the heroes' village refer to each other as "brother" and "sister".

I suspect that all the "brother" and "sister" bit in this show is deliberate bait for those who like that trope.

That's certainly true, though I got the impression that she was referring to Yuuki and Kurumi being blood sisters.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Valkyrie Drive is wild as hell. I even say that as a big ecchi fan but that is actually more risqué than even many hentai. Kaneko does it again with more sexploits in the over the top way only he can make it.

The animation quality is also better than most shows the past week, and the lewdness has some interesting inventiveness to it at times. The premise also reminds me of Soul Eater, but a lot lewder.

Obviously it will be tough to recommend to non ecchi fans but this is one of the better ecchi first episodes in years for me. Really cute ED as well.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I was wondering that also so I decided to check the wiki. Those 2 are actually sisters. Incidentally, Kurumi is only 13 :X
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
So the last shows I wanted to check out have premiered:

The Perfect Insider: The OP & ED were fantastic, the rest was... okay. Intriguing. Worth giving it an episode or two to see where it's going. I'm not a big fan of muted colors in general, but I like the character design. Still on the fence about it

GARO: Guren no Tsuki: Slightly disappointed both visually and narrative-wise compared to Honoo no Kokuin. I do like the designs of Seimei's magic and Kyoto is a city that's very close to my heart, so I love watching anime set there -although the lack of actual recognizable landmarks save from the Rashomon was disappointing-. I'll keep watching it, but my expectations compared to the previous anime have diminished significantly, although as Hope said, it's still entertaining and interesting enough.

Owari no Seraph 2: Shinoa's still the best character, no surprises there. A lot of clumsily forced exposition all over the place, but it was okay. The characters are charming, that's all I really care about when it comes to this series.

I also checked out ep 2 of Utawarerumono and was really bored by it. I'm dropping that one
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
How did you like season one of Utawarerumono? Maybe it's one of those shows that's better marathoned, or done in large chunks rather than one a week, so the slower episodes don't feel so isolated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 37