• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! Second Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
^Isn't it just a general consensus to call the characters by whatever name they're known for the most? I prefer that over the reviewer forcefully using the characters' first names like they tend to do here in ANN for localization purposes, even though no one calls them by that
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^Isn't it just a general consensus to call the characters by whatever name they're known for the most? I prefer that over the reviewer forcefully using the characters' first names like they tend to do here in ANN for localization purposes, even though no one calls them by that

But Asahi is called Azumane by some of the other characters. It doesn't really matter one way or the other, but to me it reads sort of odd in this situation. Asahi is called by both his first and last names so I didn't think it to be confusing to be consistent and call him by his last name as all the others are being referred to as such.

*shrug* No biggy either way.
Yonowaaru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote
On that topic, I was somewhat confused when I realised that I hadn't known what Yamaguchi's first name was until they called him 'Tadashi'.
Was he called by someone that way before or was it just not mentioned?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:57 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:

But Asahi is called Azumane by some of the other characters. It doesn't really matter one way or the other, but to me it reads sort of odd in this situation. Asahi is called by both his first and last names so I didn't think it to be confusing to be consistent and call him by his last name as all the others are being referred to as such.

*shrug* No biggy either way.

I mean, yes, some people call him by his last name, but it's a rarity. I mean, who does? Ukai and Takeda obviously, and I guess Kiyoko and Yachi. From the actual team members I assume Kageyama and Tsukishima, but it's not like they talk to him a lot. Suga, Daichi, Nishinoya and Tanaka all call him Asahi/-san, and since they're the ones that talk to him the most, that's the name we hear him called more often

@Yonowaaru, IIRC, Shimada (the guy who taught Yamaguchi the jump float serve) is the only one that calls him "Tadashi".
Aisama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Lol. I love this episode. What a great start to the episode to have kageyama and hinata arguing about poop. I have a good laugh. Thank you, you two.

I feel like the episode gets shorter and shorter. I know it hasn't but, it sure do feel like 10 minutes out of the usual 23 minutes. Very Happy

Yamaguchi really shine this episode. Hopefully the other supporting team members will have their time as well soon.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
This was an amazing episode. I love how Furudate never leave a character out. I had totally forgotten about Tanaka until that final save by him. Can't wait till season three.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Oikawa trying to win so desperately really shows us another side of him instead of his usually 'cool' nature and how much he wanted to win, the few minutes with only crowd commentary was nice as well while upping the anticipation from being able to see whats happening.

It was nice watching all the players getting some screen time this week whether it had been cheering the rest of their team on the rest of their team as well and there were a lot of good plays in the match like the last point play and Oikawa set to Iwazumi to even the game and I wonder what Oikawa is going to say to Kageyama now that the match is over and who that guy was in Oikawa flashback (maybe the coach of Kitagawa Daiichi, they're old schools)
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Man, I was really holding my breath there at the end! What a rush! (What's this about a third season? Boy, am I out of the loop on this one. o.O) Given how many dynamic shots this season has given us, they really ratcheted everything up there at the end, and I appreciated that the show took the time to introduce and utilize all of the teams' members. Definitely one of the most fulfilling sports victories I've seen in a while.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Episdoe 25

Quote:
...a plant that ... “the bowels of the city [have] failed to digest.”

That seems a little over the top here, as metaphors go. It's not like they're from Chicago. Smile In fact, while I understood the basis of series' concrete/soil metaphor, Torono has always struck me as rather rural overall anyway.

I wonder if Kageyama's sleep is always so...tormented, or if he was just having a particularly bad dream. No wonder he's so cranky all the time.

Can't wait for Season 3. Smile
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This was an incredible season. But it looks like Karasuno is painted as the underdog again since they barely won against a team that has never won against Shiratoriwiza. Ushiwaka is an arrogant jerk, no doubt, but his personality clashing with Hinata's and Kageyama's really ramps up the tension. Can't wait for season 3 in the fall.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episdoe 25

That seems a little over the top here, as metaphors go. It's not like they're from Chicago. Smile In fact, while I understood the basis of series' concrete/soil metaphor, Torono has always struck me as rather rural overall anyway.

Oh, it's totally over the top. Very Happy I couldn't help myself, sorry! Laughing Writing those Grimgar reviews combined with teaching the poetry section of one of my classes has definitely made me a little punchy by this point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 am Reply with quote
I just rewatched this season over the holiday (been sitting on my BDs for most of the year) and it was just as exciting as the first time seeing it. I could only bear to listen to a little bit of the dub. It's not really a bad dub or anything, but I didn't care for some of the script changes and missed the emotion of the Japanese voices.

What really baffled me was how in 2017 anyone working on anime dubs could possibly think Date is pronounced like a romantic night out. They kept calling it "Day(t)Tech." Does this director think the rice wine is pronounced as in "for Pete's sake"? I guess it's a blessing they didn't call it Aoba Josey. >.<
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What really baffled me was how in 2017 anyone working on anime dubs could possibly think Date is pronounced like a romantic night out. They kept calling it "Day(t)Tech." Does this director think the rice wine is pronounced as in "for Pete's sake"? I guess it's a blessing they didn't call it Aoba Josey. >.<

Yikes! I know they listen to the original Japanese voices when recording so something like this really shouldn't happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6