• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"The Biggest Attack on Titan Manga Announcement Ever" Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Even though I enjoy my US comics, this is a kind of disappointing announcement. Not a AoT fan either, but this was something that I was hoping wouldn't be over hyped...and here we are.

FilthyCasual wrote:
The concept of any Marvel character being in true danger from a Titan attack is utterly laughable at best, and I can't see the crossover holding any real tension.

Howard the Duck? Laughing

sunflower wrote:
I like to imagine that Western fans of manga and anime are more open-minded than typical people, because they have to accept cultural norms outside the ones they grew up with to get the fullest enjoyment of those media. This thread has been sad, but I'm betting a lot of the quiet fans will see this as the same kind of opportunity to expand their horizons that venturing into manga was the first place.

Yeah, has been disappointing.

There are various genres out there. Even I was surprised to find romance comics aren't dead. Oni Press released Ares & Aphrodite, which I picked up on a whim and enjoyed.

Also, the autobiographical Girl Friend Trilogy, published by Top Shelf, and written/illustrated by Jeffery Brown may be something that would surprise people. From the rawness of the story to the artwork itself, I doubt people would call this typical.

One of the funniest things I've read in a long time...turned out to be a comic that come out from Devil's Due called Public Relations. And, I'm not a fan of westerns, but Devil's Due's release of the Plume webcomic is fun (and it includes magic, so not a straight out western).

Archaia's Dark Crystal GN series is awesome too. And this I'm someone who hasn't even seen the movie.

Then, you can throw in stuff like Deadly Class, Autumn Lands - Tooth and Claw, The Wicked and the Divine, King, Atomic Robo, The Empty (which I think just wrapped up?), I Hate Fairyland, Nonplayer (well, issue 2 came out), Ravine, The Saviors...those are currently some of the ongoing series I'm getting that aren't superhero comics.

Currently my favourite series is Wayward. Funnily enough, it is based in Japan, drawn by someone who lives in Japan, and turns out to be kind of a mix of X-Men (though, they're far from superheroes) and Buffy. It also has some really interesting pieces on Japanese folklore in the back of every issue, seeing as the series does deal with fighting Japanese demons.

While I do enjoy some Marvel/DC stuff, I feel like people focusing on those and saying "this is all the U.S. comic market is" is disappointing. There's some "not Marvel/DC" stuff out there, and it seems to be growing. They're not really hard to find. I mean, you do have the internet...Laughing

Guess some need to get over the stigma of U.S. comics being nerdy, as only the cool kids read manga. Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
You mention the Black Hispanic Spiderman and I look at his wikipedia page and it says that his character is based off President Barack Obama.

Which is weird since that same page mentions Miles character being inspired by Donald Glover.

Hyperdrve wrote:

With these things I just rather them being transparent and issue out a press release saying that the suits up top decided that the fanbase needs to be expanded to accommodate minorities. At least then there would be a business justification that many people wouldn't argue or be skeptical about.

You give far too many comic book (the good & the bad) fans too much credit.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
oh wow this is getting to be a really big thing.

personally i really don't think its that huge a deal although admittedly if it were about tokyo ghoul or magi i'd be bouncing off the walls so i'll admit i'm not that personally excited about it. On the flip side it gives manga i bit more attention even if that attention is drawn toward shoneney type mangas, thankfully AoT is very well written story with alot more going for it other than Giant monsters VS humans so once people are done with it they might look to similar shows and slowly descend into otakuism. Yes we need moar.

All i'm interested in is seeing the not OP characters deal with titans, Thor can one shot them, hulk can do so as well(i mean come on hulk is as broken as superman in their respective universe) but how 'would' spiderman deal with em? his webbing is strong but is it that strong to hold a titan, does he have the strength to rip off their heads? Will the marvel heroes go that far cause that's spoiler[effectively killing people since some of the titans are supposed to be human transformed titans] or will they rewrite that part of the story
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

All i'm interested in is seeing the not OP characters deal with titans, Thor can one shot them, hulk can do so as well(i mean come on hulk is as broken as superman in their respective universe) but how 'would' spiderman deal with em? his webbing is strong but is it that strong to hold a titan, does he have the strength to rip off their heads? Will the marvel heroes go that far cause that's spoiler[effectively killing people since some of the titans are supposed to be human transformed titans] or will they rewrite that part of the story

This isn't going to be a Marvel-crossover thing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Great interview, but when they said that anything goes in the anthology stories, they meant "within reason"--not killing off any of the series' main characters, making sure things fit in the timeline, etc. That said, I still want to see what they come up with.

Don't judge the political motivations of writers if you don't have all the facts. I'm not a big fan of Miles Morales, but if Brian Michael Bendis wanted to create a Spider-Man with a similar skin tone to his two adopted kids, it's probably not right to accuse him of being cash grubbing. Some of the more recent diverse characters in superhero comics are shoehorned in, but others make sense or are added in such a creative manner, it doesn't matter.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
I think I have the opposite problem than most people here. I ADORE Gail Simone and I like a good number of the people featured in the anthology... I just don't care about attack on titan at all... but maybe they manage to capture the audience they are hoping for... who knows?
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
after reading manga for so long i can't stand reading comics anymore, the way they flow just annoys me.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
Now, if this crossover could lead to a live-action/CGI summer blockbuster, that would be something. This is because that the US could could make the budget a lot larger and the manga-ka/Kodansha could get a fair share in royalties.

I think one reason that Attack on Titan is so well liked is that it's the idea of the small vs. the big. That is, from a sociological standpoint, a minority group that is being oppressed by a larger group and is now fighting back, they might be able to empathize with the humans in the series.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
As expected, people here react in a negative way. Honestly, I would've preferred if Kodansha hired Lobdell and Liefeld to make this, at least all the whining here would've been justified.
escahime65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I am interested in seeing new stories based on the AoT world but I am not so happy about American comic book artists being the ones to do it. There is just something about the art style that drives me nuts.

For example, in some of the pictures in the article, what the heck is going on with the shadowing??? Half of a titan face is pitch black and the other half is in light, making it look really unnatural. There is no huge spotlight on them outdoors right? Also, the thick lines and sharply contrasting colors are jarring. Don't they know how to do shading??? Mad

Anyway, I'm still undecided about whether I will check this out but I am glad the publisher is open to new things and trying to reach out to Americans more.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
escahime65 wrote:
There is no huge spotlight on them outdoors right?

The sun?
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
escahime65 wrote:
Personally, I am interested in seeing new stories based on the AoT world but I am not so happy about American comic book artists being the ones to do it. There is just something about the art style that drives me nuts.

For example, in some of the pictures in the article, what the heck is going on with the shadowing??? Half of a titan face is pitch black and the other half is in light, making it look really unnatural. There is no huge spotlight on them outdoors right? Also, the thick lines and sharply contrasting colors are jarring. Don't they know how to do shading??? Mad

Anyway, I'm still undecided about whether I will check this out but I am glad the publisher is open to new things and trying to reach out to Americans more.

The artwork is a serious problem...if only both American and Japanese mangaka could work together on this rather than just giving the American mangaka ideas and letting them handle the story/art.
It don't think this project will succeed in making everyone on both sides happy, for instance what if in the end the Titans were defeated and with no casualties! That would be an insult to the attack on Titan world were everyone is struggling to survive and this crossover would be impliying that the super Herod could handle it better. Or if the heros lose in the end. (which I doubt would make the fans western fans happy) another way things can go is if it ends at a stalemate. Well I'm not sure how this will turn out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
after reading manga for so long i can't stand reading comics anymore, the way they flow just annoys me.

At the very least you don't have to worry about Togaishi inspired timeouts with American comic books Cool
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
As expected, people here react in a negative way. Honestly, I would've preferred if Kodansha hired Lobdell and Liefeld to make this, at least all the whining here would've been justified.

*knocks on wood*

Seriously I preffer people complaining but the existence of a decent comic made by decent artists, than whatever abomination those two could come out with D:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4