• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Here's two questions I got.

Do you guys think there is a chance later on in an episode where the crew of Frontier might make an appearance, a crossover if you will. Kinda like what Frontier did with Macross Zero (even though that was an re-enactment) And what do you think would happen if the two casts interacted with each other? I would picture the Galactic Fairy is quite concerned of her status over Mikumo's self-proclaimed goddess, and Ranka taking lessons from Freyja on quirkiness.

During Hayate's training with Mirage on the VF-1EX, Makina said the EX was the base for all other models. Doesn't she know the VF-0 was the very first VF?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there will be any more references to Frontier other than the Ranka Beach reference that occurred already.

However, many of the CG ship models of the NUNS fleet were recycled from Frontier.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

That was so intense! So AWESOME! I can barely contain myself. I wanna see more! Hayate managed to defeat the White Knight though I think it was more like he managed to catch the White Knight off guard. Next time it won't be as easy. And that bomb, they sure weren't joking around. "Reaction bomb" makes me think it was basically like some kind of nuke.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The most striking element from this past episode was not the action--though the action was certainly good--but that Hayate's waifu's saved him twice in the same episode--and worked together to do it.

Freya has the lead for doing a sky dive for him. >_>

I recall seeing the nuclear sign on the reaction missiles used in Frontier, so I think they are just called that because Japan did not want their protagonists to use nukes.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
In the original Macross, reaction weapons were just enhanced nuclear weapons. As you surmised, Raftina, at the time of the original series, it was taboo for the "good guys" to use nuclear weapons. By the time period of Macross 7 and beyond, reaction weapons are basically anti-matter based, or, pair-annihilation as they're referred to by Kawamori.

As an interesting aside, one of the reasons the Zentradi were initially interested in capturing the Macross instead of destroying it, was because humans possessed reaction weapons, a technology lost to the Zentradi for almost 500,000 years.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty awesome all right. But it's getting harder and harder to see Mirage winning over Freyja. Perhaps tradition will be broken?
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised that NUNS didn't bring one of those MDE warheads they developed during the late Vajra war. Those are easily capable of bypassing energy fields, probably would have heavily damaged the Sigur Valens. Of course, it would most likely vaporize half of Ragna too. Can't have it both ways I guess.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Great episode, lots of action, the capabilities of both sides with their military powers. What I'm really surprised about is how Hayate is about to fight Keith on even scales. I mean, it's like Messer passed the torch to him.

Lots of good songs this episode, the OP song has grown to me even more than Borderline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14: Was not expecting this. At least we get another new if brief insert song.

spoiler[ After the intense action of the previous episode, it comes to a screeching halt as the entire episode focuses the island ship's energy issue and fixing a broken power cable. Also why does Hayate and Mirage have to strip down to their undies to get to work?]
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
With this episode, I am pretty sure I know how the Hayate romance is going to resolve.

This episode, we got a heavy dose of demonstration that Hayate is not interested in girls.

I think Delta is going for a Max parallel with Hayate. Although there are certainly differences between the 2, it seems that they have significant similarities as well: They are both laid back but highly talented, and neither seems self-conscious of his talents. And they are both the ace in their squad.

Then there was Mirage's reference to Max and Milia--the bridge between the Zentradi and the humans in the First Contact War. We have a similar situation here: a war between 2 culturally different pseudo-descendants of the Protoculture, 1 warlike and austere, the other culturally rich and diverse. And it seems songs will be a significant component of their reaching out to each other. And it leaves 2 members of their race joining together to show that they can get along at on a personal level.

Even the events are playing out similarly to the Max and Milia story: Milia, the ace of the Zentradi military, sortied with her squad and entered battle with the protagonists. In this battle, the acknowledged ace of the humans, Roy, suffered mortal wounds and died, but he left his skeleton themed fighter.

And Milia was shot down in turn by a skilled pilot--though not as widely recognized an ace--on the human side. Later, furious, she would infiltrate the protagonists' warship and meet the ace who bested her in person.

It is obvious where Delta is going. Keith will wake up and, finding Roid firmly in control, will leave to infiltrate the Elysion. There, he will confront Hayate, and the 2 will fall in love. Delta is obviously going for Hayate x Keith. That's why he did not react at all from the interaction with Mirage this episode, and he only has friendly teasing with Freya.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
Episode 14: Was not expecting this. At least we get another new if brief insert song.

spoiler[ After the intense action of the previous episode, it comes to a screeching halt as the entire episode focuses the island ship's energy issue and fixing a broken power cable. Also why does Hayate and Mirage have to strip down to their undies to get to work?]

From what I can tell, they were actually using their discarded clothing to help them move about in the lack of gravity. Basically, they'd take an article of clothing off and throw it in the opposite direction of where they wanted to go.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
While that would work, the momentum imparted from throwing away clothing would... very little compared to what was shown on screen.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
I think it was more "We're about to do some heavy labor, clothes are just in the way."
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 14:

Lol, did they really spend an entire episode on just fixing that pipe thing and getting everyone back to order? Well this was a strange episode with some fan service between Hayate and Mirage.

Looks like Keith is in a coma now. .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
I actually thought it was a nice touch. That island has been idle on Ragna for so many years, of course it's not going to be working properly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 20