• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Delta Airlines Flights Have Japanese Movies?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't fly often, so the novelty hasn't worn off on me. I love exploring airports and checking out all the entertainment options on planes. I was absolutely awed by my personal touchscreen on a flight to London in 2014. It was filled with music, movies and games from all over the world. I ended up watching Wadjda, a movie from Saudi Arabia. I was so looking forward to the trip back--which turned out to be on an older plane with screens between the seats playing C-list movies and some American network TV episodes. Not as fun at all.

Although on that trip, we hopped from London to Paris and watching TV in Paris was eye opening. Tons of anime (I caught Queen's Blade, Naruto, including the latest Naruto movie at the time, and Fairy Tail), anime related live action movies (Cromartie High School), Japanese tutorial shows and, the strangest thing of all, whole channels seemingly devoted to video game music videos! That was a trip!

Fun note: weirdest thing I ever saw in an airport were slot machines in Las Vegas (well, I guess it's not that weird when you think about it!) Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:

as a linguistics nerd

May I ask how many languages you speak? Being monolingual, I am quite curious. Being half-Asian Indian, I am also curious if you can point me to any links regarding Indian linguistics -- particularly Kashmir.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
May I ask how many languages you speak? Being monolingual, I am quite curious.
This isn't an easy question to answer, although the fact that you specifically used the word "speak", rather than "understand" or (God forbid) "know", makes it a lot easier for me personally, since I study most of my languages with no intention of ever actually speaking them. I'd say that, in addition to my native Russian, I speak English and Japanese fairly fluently (although the former much more so than the latter), plus German and Kazakh in more limited capacities: probably a solid CERN B2 in the former and a borderline B1 in the latter. I also have an A1 certificate for Norwegian, but that barely even amounts to anything. The only other language I've had an actual conversation in is Greek, but since I didn't say anything more complex than "How much is it?" and "A little" it doesn't count. So I guess my answer is "somewhere between three and six" Smile

nobahn wrote:
Being half-Asian Indian, I am also curious if you can point me to any links regarding Indian linguistics -- particularly Kashmir.
The greater Kashmir region does have a very fascinating mix of languages and cultures, but I haven't really dabbled in any South Asian languages yet, so I'm afraid I can't point you to much aside from Wikipedia pages and general language sites like Omniglot. Here's a few links about some of the notable local languages: Kashmiri, Dogri, Ladakhi, Balti, Burushaski; it also seems like Urdu is very common as a second language in both Indian- and Pakistani-controlled Kashmir. I also have this Devanagari script tutor saved in my bookmarks from the days when I tried to learn to read and write a whole bunch of scripts without really studying the languages they're used for. Devanagari is used for writing several South Asian languages, most notably Hindi; it also seems to be the default script in modern Sanskrit studies.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
I flew on All Nippon Airways this summer and they had a mix of relatively new American films, some foreign films, and of course Japanese tv episodes and films. I watched Kingsman, Run All Night, Star Trek 2, Big Eyes, Ex Machina and Chappie throughout my round trip. I don't remember the Japanese films (although they had a trilogy called Solomon's Judgement or something like that). I remember they had Space Brothers, one of the Pretty Rythm/Pri Para movies and the newest Pretty Cure. I watched the Pretty Cure episode and was surprised at how much of it I understood, even though I still can't speak Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2