• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Christian Charity Removes Pokémon, Harry Potter Toys from X-Mas Drive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I suggest some people look up the word "charity" and find out what it means. Hint: it doesn't mean "something you are entitled to".

True. But, if I were someone that had spent money on something that was Harry Potter or Pokemon related, thinking "well, kids like these", and find out that what I've donated will not be given to anyone...I'd more than likely not donate to that charity again.

Though, if they've turned around and given the toys/books/whatever they're not going to be giving, and give it to to another charity, then I would have no issue.

What they've done with the Pokemon and Harry Potter goods is not mentioned at all. Hopefully they didn't just go ahead and destroy them.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, charities are free to not accept donations that they think might be offensive to any religious sensibilities they may hold. The one thing wrong with this picture is that this charity drive threw out all of the "offensive" items that the people donated, and that is not okay, at least in my book. By doing that, they're letting the donations go to waste, thus resulting in them giving less. Had Samaritan's Purse simply sent the items to another charity, there would have been no problems at all.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
As others have said if the item that offended them were given to another charity I would not care, but if they are thrown out or destroyed which is waste of money and the generosity of givers I take issue with.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
And the funny thing about this whole debate is that this would not have been an ANN article if Pokemon wasn't involved. While I disagree with not giving away Harry Potter or Pokemon merchandise to the kids, you should remember one thing. They are helping people to the utmost of their ability. They are a charity. Frankly the children (THE CHILDREN!!!) are going to be happy to receive toys no matter what they are (I certainly hope so).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Torrin wrote:

For what it's worth Operation Christmas Child is trying to do something good. What have you, the ones who are making posts about children not getting toys they want or mocking them for not giving away pokemon toys, done for someone this Christmas? Maybe it's time to look in the mirror rather than belittle a charity on ANN forums.

It might surprise you, but a few years ago, I literally donated hundreds of dollars worth of stuffed animals to the local Christmas drive(with help from some friends). Some of which were Pokemon related. If I found out that some of the toys that I paid for, were summarily trashed because they didn't want to anger some overly-sensitive people, I would be pissed. From the sounds of it, that is exactly what this organization is doing. "Weeding out" and "removing" is not the same as simply not accepting. This is upsetting.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
They probably think children who get Pokemon and Harry Potter toys go to Hell.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering, apparently they donate the "contraband" to local charities. It'd be nice if they stated that on their own website though.

Source: http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/12/18/answer-woman-harry-potter-banned-co-workers-move/77578584/

As for charities destroying stuff, yeah that happens. My father was extremely pissed when he had some brand new unused light fixtures (we had renovation done, but never used these lights so they were extra) and went down to one of the charities in our area. He asked if they take them, and they said they did. After he finished the paperwork and returned out to their unloading area he found them chucking the light fixtures into a dumpster for disposal, most of them were shattered and unrecoverable. He vowed to never donate to them again.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I can understand why they removing the toys and items, even though I don't agree with there choice. This also open up a bag of worms for me. If I make a shoebox and put Wandering Son in it, will that be rejected to? Because it doesn't go with their belief? Also, will they still give toys to kids or families who doesn't share their beliefs? Anyway, that what was going through my mind when I was reading this. I really hoping they don't destroy those items, that really would make me sad that no kid can play with them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
RenimLS wrote:
For those wondering, apparently they donate the "contraband" to local charities. It'd be nice if they stated that on their own website though.

The very fact that it is not stated in an official statement (in their website, twitter, facebook, etc.) begs the question, why would not they be lying? If they were upfront from the start saying "Don't bring toys from x, y and z series" there would not be place for doubt, but maybe they are doing this on purpose, since in their minds they are righteous for destroying heretical toys. From a logistics point of view, it is easier to have a big sign with big letters saying what will not be accepted, than having workers check tons of boxes.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get what's so wrong about harry potter since it's a tale of good defeating evil that kids are interested in and might even make them want to read the bible later on since they would be more into books.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Christian... and I love both Pokemon and Harry Potter.

Some people really need to grow up - the magic in Harry Potter is MADE UP, as is the evolution process in Pokemon. Stop wrapping kids in cotton wool and let them use their imaginations. They'll find out soon enough that making animals fight against each other does not result in a level up, and that waving a stick around and saying 'avada kedavra' does literally nothing.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
kuzronk wrote:
I don't really get what's so wrong about harry potter since it's a tale of good defeating evil that kids are interested in and might even make them want to read the bible later on since they would be more into books.

According to Christianity, magic is borrowing the power of demons, and as such, witches and warlocks were said to worship demons. (Note that Christianity considers most if not all pagan gods to be demons if they exist.) Of course, Harry Potter magic bears only superficial resemblance to any real attempts at magic in the occult, and I have no idea why Pokemon is still considered offensive unless it's on the basis of cock fighting. Barring a few legendaries, Pokemon are just animals; Digimon and SMT are more outright offensive.

Though, I remember some Muslims being offended at Pokemon because it was Zionist somehow and promoted gambling in the Game Corner.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
I have no idea why Pokemon is still considered offensive unless it's on the basis of cock fighting. Barring a few legendaries, Pokemon are just animals; Digimon and SMT are more outright offensive.

I think it's because it deals with evolution or something like that.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
I have no idea why Pokemon is still considered offensive unless it's on the basis of cock fighting. Barring a few legendaries, Pokemon are just animals; Digimon and SMT are more outright offensive.

Oh, I see now. Though I'm pretty sure Pokemon only uses the term since it was cool at the time. Metamorphisis is a much more accurate term.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:

Japan barely believes in Christ and the bible anyway. Christmas is mostly KFC day and the crosses in Evangelion was to shock people since it's not common.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5