• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Some Voice Actors Like Not Knowing About Their Roles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garrisonaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
This explains why English dubs turn me off. You can tell - especially if you had heard the original Japanese version first - that the English voice actors just don't seem to care. They don't fit the character at all, and don't even bother trying. Whereas the Japanese voice actors really put their all into it, even reading the original material if there is one. They take voice acting much more seriously than America does, and it shows.

Yeah, I know this thread is several months old, so I didn't feel like reading all the pages. I just want to say I quite agree with you. Without a single exception, every English dub I've ever heard has sounded like they took people off the street and handed them a page of words to read. And I've noticed that it seems to be the same collection of people that they get to do a lot of them. Their tone doesn't match the feeling of the scene, and doesn't match the character. It's like they have no idea how to convey emotion. I've heard grade-school kids do a better job of reading a book aloud for their first time.

Going into ANY acting job - be it voice, or stage, or film, or television - without knowing who and what your character is, that's a great way to give a terrible performance. If even they would watch a few episodes of the original Japanese version, or read one or two of the manga books, they would understand the character better. It's not a big investment of time, but it would really show in the end product.

They may be counting on the ADR director to tell them how to say the lines, but the director may not have any idea either, or he may be too pressed for time to tell everyone how to do their jobs and keep re-recording it until they get it right. It's unrealistic to expect the director to have a thorough understanding of who and what each and every character is like. It's easy for a director in a theatre to see the flow of action on stage and make subtle changes. It's a lot harder for an ADR director to follow the action when it's only being read, often one actor at a time, and often very much out of sequence. They're actors... they should learn how to act.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6