• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reveals NX, Smartphone Game Plans for 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Pretty interesting that the NX isn't going to be a successor to the Wii U. I was expecting that it would've been a successor console.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
It better be powerful because if it isn't, the third parties won't stay for long. They can easily lose SE if that thing cannot handle a console version of DQXI properly. Also, if the handheld gimmick sucks up too much power, then both players and third parties will shy away from it. Also, they need at least 1 Western AAA 3rd party title, 1 Japanese AAA 3rd party title (DQXI would be the best bet), and at least 1 household name 1st party AAA Title from Nintendo on launch with maybe 7-10 other titles for variety.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
lanierd2 wrote:
When i read that NX was not going to be a successor of the Wii and it was going to be its own "thing", i instantly stopped reading.

Why would it "not" being as successor to the Wii make you stop reading it especially given how notoriously divisive the Wii and WiiU are/were to start with?

Kurohei wrote:
All I have to say is Zelda Wii U HAS to be Zelda Wii U and not NX. I just got a Wii U for the soul purpose of Zelda,

Why do people still do this?
Henshinbeetle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJoM9R5VUAg
^Miyamoto and Aunoma playing Zelda Wii-U.

So I really doubt they will move Zelda Wii-u solely to the NX. The teaser is clearly being played on the Wii-U. Plus the Zelda fans are freaking rabid. You saw what the Metroid club did regarding Federation. The Zelda wave would be bigger. But yeah, I bought the Wii-U together with Smash and Hyrule Warriors. Gues who is in both of them =p
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It better be powerful because if it isn't, the third parties won't stay for long.

Power alone isn't enough. It needs to be very dev friendly. Devs hated working on PS3 games because it was a pain in the ass. Sony rectified that mistake this gen and is the more dev friendly platform. Nintendo can do it on the first shot, but they really need to put a lot of effort into it. So really it needs to not only run the same architecture but they need a complete, easy to use manual as well as a dev friendly online system. Apparently the XOne (at least initially, not sure if it changed) was a huge extra hassle because of that last part.

On the consumer side, they better have real online accounts (meaning at least somewhat equivalent to PSN and XBL) and voice chat.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
They need to start the marketing campaign like yesterday to not pull a Sega Saturn. A name would be nice too. The WiiU is a dead brick of a console as it sold half the amount the Gamecube did which is considered a failure. That one also pretended to have a stream of games as i had to dust off my WiiU when i retrieved it out of my cupboard for Xenoblade X. Even my Wii got more time in the field! Another console without 3rd party or games at launch (!) will be the last so i hope that BigN is having these conversation like yesterday too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kamagor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess it's time for a new console and yet the Wii U hasn't really been out that long. Not as long as the Wii had been. I almost feel like they're abandoning this console. Oh well. Let's see how things go with this new machine. They better get as much IP's as they can to kick off this console and keep going.

They have to abandon the Wii U if they are ever gonna get any real forward movement with the console games. They are back to profiting now I believe, but they still aren't pushing any really serious numbers and the Wii U isn't going to ever pick up speed, especially when both the Xbone and PS4 are doing WAY better.

It sucks, but I've got like a dozen games for the system, most exclusive, so I've gotten my money out of it. I'm a PC gamer also, so I know what it's about when it comes to having to upgrade every couple years, so this doesn't bother me compared to others who stick with the usual console cycle of 5+ years.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Kamagor wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess it's time for a new console and yet the Wii U hasn't really been out that long. Not as long as the Wii had been. I almost feel like they're abandoning this console. Oh well. Let's see how things go with this new machine. They better get as much IP's as they can to kick off this console and keep going.

They have to abandon the Wii U if they are ever gonna get any real forward movement with the console games. They are back to profiting now I believe, but they still aren't pushing any really serious numbers and the Wii U isn't going to ever pick up speed, especially when both the Xbone and PS4 are doing WAY better.

It sucks, but I've got like a dozen games for the system, most exclusive, so I've gotten my money out of it. I'm a PC gamer also, so I know what it's about when it comes to having to upgrade every couple years, so this doesn't bother me compared to others who stick with the usual console cycle of 5+ years.

Yeah. I'd been hearing this about them having to abandon it but I really didn't want to believe that it was true. But the proof is there. The only successful unit that Nintendo has is the NDS. I've hear that quite a bit from the gaming scene when they started talking about the NX.

And yes, the other consoles are doing great. Guess I'll be adding NX games to the list. But before that...gotta see where things go. But at least with the Xbox One and PS4, now that this has got started we got a little ways down the line.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Technically WiiU will be supported for a little while, and I suspect you'll see cross-gen games releasing for both the WiiU and NX.

We suspect Zelda may be one of them like Twilight Princess was for the Gamecube/Wii.

The 'different thing' about the console was also used as a 'third pillar' phrase when the DS was released. In that Nintendo tried to differentiate it from the Gameboy. Suggesting that they'd support both or as in reality when the DS took off the Gameboy was laid to rest. Or they were initially covering their bases whereas if the DS never took off, Nintendo would still have the strong Gameboy Brand.

By NX being it's own thing, this is just to separate itself from the now dead 'Wii' brand.

Suspicions are that the NX will be a concept that means a shared hardware spec for both a home console and a handheld. In that Nintendo will no longer divide itself between handheld/console divisions, but rather every game they make will work on both the NX console and the NX handheld. These may not necessarily launch at the same time, not necessarily have the same specs, but rather that the same game will run on both but be graphically adjusted according to the specs.

Somewhat see how games can work on both the PS3/PS4/Vita, though rather than having different versions to download on each, Nintendo may have figured out a method in that the game cartridge is the same and you can use it on either the console or the handheld. Though Nintendo may still allow other devs to make games that may only work on the NX console, in the case of 3rd parties making PS4/Xbone hardware dedicated games and don't want to cater to the scaled down handheld, though there's no reason anyone targeting the handheld specs can't have their game work on the home console.

I hope this is what NX is. It means more games for Nintendo that people can play on their console of choice (TV or handheld or both at home and on the go).

No doubt their mobile initiatives will also work on the NX, which may also indicate that a handheld makes sense.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
"The company is continuing licensing discussions so that other companies can use Nintendo's game characters in films and television anime."

This might be the best news that I have heard.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:25 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Pretty interesting that the NX isn't going to be a successor to the Wii U. I was expecting that it would've been a successor console.

As mentioned earlier, naming the following system the Wii U caused people to think that this was an updated Wii and not a new system. This sort of mistake comes with the territory when you're selling to people who have never previously played video games and don't follow video game news. Video games are the only modern entertainment medium that isn't standardized across hardware manufacturers and the only one where products can only be used on one or two specific devices and no others.

Nintendo's sheer resilience as a company (remember that it was founded in the 19th century) is not only because it can create industry standards, but because it learns well from its mistakes. Its hardcore audience got disillusioned with the Wii, and it lost its expanded audience with the Wii U. I suspect the people at Nintendo know exactly why that happened by now and will make sure it doesn't happen again.

That being said, something drastic has to be done--for the first time, their handheld market is under threat, from mobile gaming. The irony is that Nintendo helped create that monster: Everything mobile gaming does, from its handheld nature to its touch screen to its motion controls to the simplicity of its most popular games were things Nintendo popularized. (Well, microtransactions weren't one of them, admittedly.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Its hardcore audience got disillusioned with the Wii, and it lost its expanded audience with the Wii U.

I'd argue that disillusionment started with the Gamecube and got considerably worse with the Wii.

Unluck wrote:
Everything mobile gaming does, from its handheld nature to its touch screen to its motion controls to the simplicity of its most popular games were things Nintendo popularized.

Sans having devices with good controls and having niche games that are meant to be played in short bursts instead of long hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2