• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KonoSuba – God's blessing on this wonderful world!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Great episode again, nice to see Aqua using some cool magic.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
for some reaon when megumin appears I keep on hearing:

Tasogare yori mo kuraki mono
Chi no nagare yori akaki mono
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
for some reaon when megumin appears I keep on hearing:

Tasogare yori mo kuraki mono
Chi no nagare yori akaki mono

I'm pretty sure it is intentionally similar.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Ep 7. Good review nothing to quibble.

It does raise the question as to why the "rules" allow Kazuma to be reborn in Japan but not Eris's world. He's lived in both before.

I also think the story would be much better if Kazuma found some synergy with his girls rather than just deriding them all the time. I don't know about the rest of y'all but to me that's getting old.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It does raise the question as to why the "rules" allow Kazuma to be reborn in Japan but not Eris's world. He's lived in both before.

The key part was, I think, about him being reborn/reincarnated. He had already done that in Eris's world (when he wound up there with Aqua) but had not done that yet in Japan.

Quote:
I also think the story would be much better if Kazuma found some synergy with his girls rather than just deriding them all the time. I don't know about the rest of y'all but to me that's getting old.

While I can understand where you're coming from, I don't see this as a problem yet. I see him as this series' equivalent to Kyon in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that's a good comparison.

Besides, someone has to be the straight man here, and it certainly isn't going to be Darkness, Megumin, or Aqua.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Besides, someone has to be the straight man here, and it certainly isn't going to be Darkness, Megumin, or Aqua.

We did have Verdia for a little bit, but he's sadly departed, so we're out of luck there.

Though, Megumin has shown that she does have her moments of clarity.
martinic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
Did anyone notice the remixed Imperial March theme being played in the background when they were talking about the Destroyer?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Ep 7.

The rules disallow resurrection, ie return back to life as yourself. What Eris offer Kazuma is rebirth into a better situation, like starting as a baby.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote
"Winter shogun" is kind of a weird translation choice, if you ask me. While the creature's design is modeled after a classical Japanese shogun, the idiom fuyu shōgun is clearly just the Japanese equivalent to the English General Winter/Frost. Looking at the Japanese Wikipedia, it does seem like the metaphor is used a bit more broadly in Japan then it it in the West (aside from the Russian historical context it also refers to a Siberian cold front that reaches Japan's northern and northwestern coasts in winter), but apparently its origin is the same so there was no need to invent a new mythical creature here. Or is the "General Winter" metaphor in English only known to those obsessed with European military history?

Aside from that, the episode was mostly okay, though noticeably less funny than most of the preceding ones. "I'm Kazuma" didn't even feel like a joke this time around, since he wasn't exasperated when he said it this time, while also not really being dickish enough about it to sell it as an "asshole comedic protagonist" routine. It just felt like the show saying "remember that joke from a couple of episodes ago? It was a good joke, wasn't it?" Plus, the action scenes weren't quite as well done as those in the last episode. Now from Kazuma's musings at the end of the episode I think it's safe to say that this wasn't the last we've seen of Eris, but I'm not sure what to expect of that outside of boob jokes (ehh...) and her rivalry with Aqua (could be interesting to see if they really play it up).
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I miss his partnership with Megumin. Having him actually enjoy their company once in a while would add a lot to the show, imo.

vonPeterhof wrote:
Aside from that, the episode was mostly okay, though noticeably less funny than most of the preceding ones. "I'm Kazuma" didn't even feel like a joke this time around, since he wasn't exasperated when he said it this time, while also not really being dickish enough about it to sell it as an "asshole comedic protagonist" routine. It just felt like the show saying "remember that joke from a couple of episodes ago? It was a good joke, wasn't it?"

And it was still the only part about the episode I found funny. It's probably on the VA for this one, but every time he speaks out of turn just gets me giggling.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Or is the "General Winter" metaphor in English only known to those obsessed with European military history?

Probably. I think I have heard it before in my studies of European history (I am a history major, after all), but it's definitely not a commonly-known reference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
natchu96

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Something about Eris seems familiar, but I can't figure out what . . .
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:

it's the studio cheaping it out by recycling the same VA as chris to voice eris.

seriously how much are they lining their pockets with the sub par grafics and recycled VA Rolling Eyes
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:
natchu96 wrote:

it's the studio cheaping it out by recycling the same VA as chris to voice eris.

seriously how much are they lining their pockets with the sub par grafics and recycled VA Rolling Eyes

If Shirobako and articles on compensation of various positions involved in anime production are any indication, not much. If anything they are getting as much bang for their buck as they can. They are also probably saving as much money as they can for their headliner, Shouwa Rakugo Shinju
natchu96

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:
natchu96 wrote:

Chris, huh . . .

Actually now that I look closer Chris and Eris have the same hair style (length and color aside). This seems suspicious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9