• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
EDIT: Oh I see everyone else has beat me to it already. Laughing

I suppose I should say that this really was planned in advance, and there's been enough foreshadowing to really make wonder how no one picked up on it.

First off, there's her similarities to Koro-sensei and Itona, other tentacle users. Like them, she has a sweet tooth, is weak to water (although Kayano played it off as an inability to swim) and she has some sort of fixation towards big breasts, though in her case it's envy and hate rather than love like the other two.

There's also the fact that the Reaper immediately takes her out when he first encounters the students. Because she was actually the most dangerous.

Shiro was aware of her danger. When he first entered the classroom, he looks in Nagisa's direction, and most assume he's looking at Nagisa, but he's actually looking at Kayano (this is indicated by her averting her eyes, unlike Nagisa who doesn't).

Not only that, but she also somehow had no idea who Karma was despite his infamous reputation, indicating that she only recently started attending the school.

She was also noted by one of the other students to be a good actor, although I don't remember exactly when.

There's also this scene.

Not just the line, but look very closely behind her hair, near the bottom-right.

Also, most of all, she's always been billed as a main character, despite her not being as prominent as Nagisa or Karma.

DmonHiro wrote:
The fact that she got thrown in class E on purpose by breaking Asano's stuff

To be fair, that was skipped in the anime. In the manga it was mentioned earlier that someone was transferred to E-class by breaking the principal's belongings, though they aren't mentioned by name.

TheTsunami wrote:
http://microlm.tumblr.com/post/111593001543/regarding-chapter-128

Foreshadowing was there, but a lot of it was subtle.

It should be noted that that last part at least was a then unconfirmed theory that turned out to be false.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
As early as chapter 5 of the manga Kayano directly states that she only recently transferred in and got put in class E (while that particular line is omitted in the anime, it's still indicated indirectly). It's pretty much cast aside as irrelevant, but considering how the Class E system works, that should actually be pretty much impossible.

I think Matsui was going for a subversion of WSJ's usual "tagalong love-interest with minimal personality or plot impact" stereotype. It took a really long time for him to play that card, but there is actually a pretty sizeable basket of Easter eggs throughout the series that take on a double meaning after the reveal.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
She was also noted by one of the other students to be a good actor, although I don't remember exactly when.

That would be in the orphanage episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I really am surprised that I did not pick up on many of possible foreshadowing, like the water thing if her lack of ability is related. Plus the show had been kind of selling the theme that the most dangerous assassin would be the one right in the middle of everything that no one would suspect being much more than harmless, and more than Nagisa that would have described Kayano. The fact she was so not suspicious really should have been.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
In hindsight it makes sense but when it happened I didn't know what to feel. Wasn't really invested in the character enough for it to be shocking I was just confused when it happened. I just wasn't sure what to think in that moment.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I suppose I should say that this really was planned in advance, and there's been enough foreshadowing to really make wonder how no one picked up on it.

First off, there's her similarities to Koro-sensei and Itona, other tentacle users. Like them, ... she has some sort of fixation towards big breasts, though in her case it's envy and hate rather than love like the other two.

::smacks head:: D'oh! That explains why no one else in this anime shows the slightest interest in Irina's rack. /sarcasm
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll give the series the benefit of the doubt here, but the last thing Assassination Classroom needs to do is to start making up plot twists as it goes along.

Just going to add my voice in. There's plenty of foreshadowing, up to and including a tentacle being visible as Kayno talking about hiding your true blade from your closest friends. Granted, some foreshadowing got cut between the manga and anime such as this bit from chapter 31. Still, there was plenty, such as Shiro talking about there being an incredible assassin who averted their eyes when he showed up. It shows Nagisa and Kayano there, and guess which one looks more like they're averting their eyes. And of course the sweet tooth, learning that Kayano can't swim at the same time we find it's a weakness for Korosensei, her acting skills coming up a time or two, her being one of the first ones targeted by the Reaper in her group despite being at the back of her group, and not actively trying to attack him like the only ones he hit first. And so on, and so forth.

I don't recall if her being a transfer student was directly mentioned, but there was certainly evidence of it. Not knowing anything about Karma, not knowing that Masayoshi's name was really Justice in spite of it being read at the entrance ceremony.

So perhaps before you go accusing a series of making up plot twists as it goes along, you should go back and see if there was any subtle foreshadowing you missed.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
there was absolutely no hiding of it at the end of the live action movie either. Her tentacles were flapping around while she was standing in the background of the final scene.

I only mention this here because everything else I wanted to bring up was already mentioned.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ep 15 review wrote:
Koro Sensei's past since early in the first season, but it's still unsettling to see him as a relatively normal human

Maybe unsettling but I think it is more important to understand how he transitioned from a bloodless assassin who killed a thousand to the jovial, gregarious dedicated slimy octopus teacher. There's the part where he turns into an anti-matter-powered octopus which is almost easier to believe than the personality change. At least so far.

All I have to go on is he took offense at his observer being abused but the comically insane scientist. How did he suddenly cultivate such a devoted empathy to her and not any of his thousand victims. (No doubt the story would have all 1,000 as deserving of him killing them.)

This isn't the fist time this story has done this. I was never satisfied with the change in Principal Asano from a dedicated, nurturing and positively encouraging teacher to the dedicated, bullying educational amoral psychopath we have seen.

Come to think of it those two changes seem to be fully reciprocal. Are they related more than just casually?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, Assassin Sensei seemed to be a rather easy-going fellow from the start. He's always got a pleasant smile on his face and seems to bear them no ill-will for what they're doing to him. If that's as much an act as Kayano's was, we got no internal dialog to suggest that, even while he's plotting how he might escape.

The thing that I thought was lacking in explanation was why Kayano's sister was marrying Dr. McEvil and happily going along with his ghoulish experiments. Either she was already severely broken (which seems at odds with Kayano's memory of her), or she's more of a psychopath than he is, completely unaffected by the suffering before her.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, Assassin Sensei seemed to be a rather easy-going fellow from the start. He's always got a pleasant smile on his face and seems to bear them no ill-will for what they're doing to him. If that's as much an act as Kayano's was, we got no internal dialog to suggest that, even while he's plotting how he might escape.

The thing that I thought was lacking in explanation was why Kayano's sister was marrying Dr. McEvil and happily going along with his ghoulish experiments. Either she was already severely broken (which seems at odds with Kayano's memory of her), or she's more of a psychopath than he is, completely unaffected by the suffering before her.

I don't recall if it's mentioned later on in the flashback or not, but spoiler[Yanagisawa's filthy stinking rich and pressured her family into it because she had the circumstances he needed - smart enough to be of use and unimportant enough to be disposable.][/spoiler]
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
There's no doubt in my mind that the gang will find a way to save the Earth without killing Sensei. I just hope it doesn't involve turning him back into a human.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

As cartoonish as he was, it was still gratifying to see Dr. Whiplash get a spike to the eye. But we still got no satisfying explanation of why sister Nell was a willing participant in his dastardly deeds.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but is there a reason that Koro-sensei can't just zip off into the far reaches of space at super speed to explode harmlessly in the void?
Zeres

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
I think the thing that touched me most about this episode (16) was Koro-sensei's realization about weakness in strength. How he wished he could have that. All throughout the show, Nagisa has been compiling a list of exactly that. And that realization just did it for me.
I never expected the show to be able to touch me like this, but It did.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but is there a reason that Koro-sensei can't just zip off into the far reaches of space at super speed to explode harmlessly in the void?

Based on some of his dialogue in this week's episode, I get the impression that Sensei is partially cool with the Earth being destroyed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a change of heart toward the end. Otherwise, he could do himself in with - or allow himself to be done in by - one of the many anti-him weapons. I suppose his evasion of previous assassination attempts may have been involuntary self-preservation on the part of his super-powered body, though I personally never interpreted it as such. When he's up against Kayano, for example, he's actively trying to stay alive.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10