• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Highly Questionable Videogame Adaptations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
@Mr. Oshawott: Thank you for reminding me of that trash. There aren't very many anime that I've dropped quicker than VG Neo.

I pretty much agree with Themaster on Disgaea. The voice cast is enjoyable as always (and I can never get enough of Barbara Goodson doing Laharl's evil laugh), but good grief is the animation ever terrible.

For more bad video game adaptations...Gunslinger Stratos, maybe? I dropped it after four episodes, so I don't know if it ever did anything to redeem itself.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
FF Unlimited remains one of the very few series I dropped and never finished. Even when I flat out do not like a series I make myself finish most of them. I like to be a completionist. That series however is one of the few I could not make myself sit through to the end.

As for Tekken....dear god that movie was horrible lol. The newer live action ones are not that much better either. If we're going to mention shitty video game anime adaptations I think all of you need to go watch the masterpiece that is Battle Arena Toshinden. Enjoy.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
As one who unironically liked Shining Hearts, I'm kinda glad Tears x Wind was chosen over it.

And I always pictured the Devil May Cry anime as being about Dante on his downtime. Totally agree with Vaisaga, though.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The only anime based on a videogame I've honestly liked was the Super Street Fighter II Movie. It's actually kind of sad that Senran Kagura comes a... marginally within speaking distance second place.

Of course, I've missed out on a lot of these shows, though I did consider the Atelier anime at some point. I guess I should be glad I never got around to that, huh?

I did buy the Tekken and Toshinden anime once upon a time, since I was playing the games. Neither of them even remotely lived up to the games they were based on, and I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of either of the games to begin with.

Well... all this not counting anime based on VN games -- AIR, Kanon and the likes.
terminus24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy Unlimited was among the very first anime series I watched, the only memorable thing besides how awful it was, especially with not-Tifa and not-Vincent Valentine, was that there were trailers for other series on the DVDs, and that's how I became a huge fan of Full Metal Panic. Fortunately the FF7 movie and OVAs later were good, and those are the only anime FFF adaptations that exist to me now.

I'm also surprised BlazBlue isn't here, they had a perfect chance to make the story easier to follow with an anime adaptation, and not only did they screw that up, it also looked even worse than the game's anime cutscenes.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
As an avid fighting game fan, I find it particularly disappointing that anime adaptations of popular fighters almost invariably suck. Tekken's probably the worst, but Art of Fighting, Toshinden and Virtua Fighter are definitely up there. Since they're largely responsible for getting me into anime, I have a soft spot for the Fatal Fury TV specials and feature film, but I'd probably find them lacking if I revisited them as an adult.

terminus24 wrote:
I'm also surprised BlazBlue isn't here, they had a perfect chance to make the story easier to follow with an anime adaptation, and not only did they screw that up, it also looked even worse than the game's anime cutscenes.

My sentiments exactly. As much as I love the BlazBlue series, I've never been able to follow the plot, and the anime adaptation left me even more confused. Maybe it's a good thing we haven't gotten a Guilty Gear anime.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Listing Shining Tears x Wind without mentioning Shining Hearts is... uhmmmm... Confused
Poor Tony Taka. Adaptations of his gorgeous (art)works are either H-OVA or shitty TV shows.

Yeah, I was looking for that one on the List, although I only watched the first episode. Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan, so the shortened title for me is Shining Bread- but really happy bread? I don't know about that.

I like Ragnorok but I admit it's not a great show. Or good looking. Honestly, I think I paid a total of 12 dollars for it and probably overpaid for it. But as an adaptation of what sounds like a WoW/D2 proto version, it has... Baphomet, that guy was awesome. Probably deserved a better series or adventuring group. Also, steampunk shield! That's good, right?

If you want "highly questionable adaptations" then where's Tower of Druaga? The image of the final boss still haunts me to this day and not in the good way. Gonzo must have been proud; "We've ruined cars and mechs with CGI but Druaga is our masterwork!". Also, what else can be said about a series where you can just watch the first episode and get the best entertainment out of the series?

I was disappointed by the Tekken movie because my favorite character from the fighting game- well T2 anyway- was Roger. Yes, the boxing kangaroo. Too bad they felt they had to go the "This is a serious situation!" route, it should have been fun. I mean, they had Yoshimitsu the space pirate ninja... wait, did they? Kuma, was he there? Ganryu? Lei Wulong, the "I'm not Jackie Chan" Jackie Chan character from Police Story...

Come to think on it, Jack was the Terminator, Kazuya was Vegeta and Martial Law was Bruce Lee so "anime based on original video game characters" this was not.

Favorite Yuri series? Maria+ Holic. It's at least twice more yuri than Maria Watches over us all.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Shining Tears x Wind: I didn't particularly dislike this since it is an adaptation that utilizes both games' characters (well most of Tears's cast anyway) and Wind's gameplay feature of soul blades (and since we never got Wind, it's about the only thing related to the game that we can see here). For the record, it uses essentially the same plot, so I'm not sure why it qualifies as highly questionable. I think Bread of Happiness (even the title is stupid) deserved to be on this list more as it takes the most boring aspect of Shining Hearts and makes it even more boring.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky: The Atelier series, save for the Iris trilogy and Khemia duology, has never been about combat or high stakes action, so I don't understand putting this one on the list either. Considering you spend more time crafting items and watching character interactions, it's not like it's a particularly poor adaptation at all. It fits the bill of what you do daily in essentially every Atelier title, even going back to the very first game with Marie. I think the reason they chose Escha & Logy over Ayesha is because the former was more hyped for release in Japan and did pretty well in sales (despite many male Japanese gamers saying they wanted Logy dead or that he was a pointless character, but that's more a case of otaku hormones if anything).

Ragnarok: It's more amusing to know that the most interesting character in this whole thing was Baphomet (his son is adorable too). XD

Final Fantasy Unlimited: I think a lot of people can agree that this shouldn't have existed at all. It's still a mystery why they ever thought it would be any good. It's a classic example of slapping a famous name brand onto something and thinking it would do well from that alone.

I know Tekken was included, but Virtua Fighter definitely qualifies too. It turns poor Akira into an utter food-obsessed dipstick, so out of character from how he's supposed to be.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Cybuster anime didn't make the cut I see.

As a long time Masoukishin fan, the Cybuster anime was absolutely horrid even if you think of it as standalone. If you compare it with the source material, however, it's really bad.

The only machine that bears any similarity to its original design is Cybuster although its a bit different. Everything else got hit with the ugly beat stick, especially Granzon. Oh my god, Shu. What did they do to you?

The only character I could even stand in the show was "Sapphine" and she's really nowhere close to her original counterpart. Ken was a really bad main character. The only thing I outright enjoyed about the show was how they made the DC essentially garbage collectors (More source material accurate than you'd believe!) and the amazing opening theme. I can't even remember the ending theme.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I think it was clear from the beginning that it was doing it's own thing, so there's little point in comparing it to the source material. It's so far removed that I'd hesitate to classify it as a video game adaptation.

On its own it was pretty meh, but certainly not the worse thing I've seen. Some of the real robot style re-designs were kinda cool and it did do some interesting things story-wise. It's more fun to watch in English, though, as the Japanese actors don't sound particularly excited about their roles.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Shining Tears x Wind and Atelier Escha aren't really shows I dislike, they're nothing special but I can kill time with them. Now that Happy Bread show, that was a tragedy.

I guess Tekken represents all fighting game adaptations in general because how Blazblue wasn't on the list is beyond me. Even Ragna breaks the 4th wall commenting how bad video game anime are in the first episode. Sakura War was pretty sucky too.

If you want a really good video game anime adaptation then Gungrave is your answer; for recent shows, Rage of Bahamut, for something was based on a card game, it was done greatly, Valkyria Chronicles is pretty good I guess.

Favorite yuri? Torn between Marimite and Strawberry Panic!

Last edited by Takamachi Ryoko on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I remember renting Samurai ShoDown: The Motion Picture from Blockbuster once and thinking to myself, how do you make an anime about a fighting game and have literally no fighting. Also bonus points for misgendering the main villain (male in the game, female in the anime).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Cybuster anime didn't make the cut I see.

As a long time Masoukishin fan, the Cybuster anime was absolutely horrid even if you think of it as standalone. If you compare it with the source material, however, it's really bad.

The only machine that bears any similarity to its original design is Cybuster although its a bit different. Everything else got hit with the ugly beat stick, especially Granzon. Oh my god, Shu. What did they do to you?

The only character I could even stand in the show was "Sapphine" and she's really nowhere close to her original counterpart. Ken was a really bad main character. The only thing I outright enjoyed about the show was how they made the DC essentially garbage collectors (More source material accurate than you'd believe!) and the amazing opening theme. I can't even remember the ending theme.

Yes I was thinking the same. I had to force myself to finish it.

I enjoyed FFU. I still have the DVD box.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing FU on TV on the Sci-Fi channel over a decade ago and I didn't like it. I'm surprise that the Shin Megami Tensei anime OVAs from the 80's and 90's didn't make it on the list. Digital Devil Story was pretty bad if you ask me.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I liked Atelier. Nothing memorable or on the top of my re-watch list, but good nonetheless. And I suppose I'd give Disgaea the benefit of the doubt as it seemed the anime was meant to encapsulate more of the comedy aspect of the series than be an anime retelling, so I don't think being wholly accurate was ever part of the plan. The rest though... yesh...

I will say that I also defend Blazblue's anime mentioned in the comments a bit. For what it tried to do it did better than most, but what it tried to do was tell a cohesive story in 13 episodes involving a cast of some dozen plus characters, including events that in some cases spanned multiple games, and multiple routes within one game. They definitely could've done better by picking a game route and sticking to it, but the end product of the anime I wouldn't say was wholly terrible.

Favorite Yuri series... as someone who generally doesn't pick series by genre, I'd just go with my favorite series in general from that list, which would be Yamibou, Strawberry Panic, and Destiny of the Shrine Maiden, probably in about that order.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8