• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kiss Him, Not Me Anime's Visual Previews Character Designs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
I kinda figured Russia's ideal to be 170.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Also, I can understand why people can get offended by the premise, but being attracted to those who are in better shape has been programmed into all of us by evolution and is just part and parcel of being human. Sure, personality is just as important, if not more so, than looks. But before you can get to know someone, you only have their appearance to go off of.

I totally agree with you. I can understand why people don't like the premise. But being "disgusted"? Such moral panic?

Liking good looks is part of human nature (of box sexes). Both sexes are "guilty" of that. You may not like it and you may not do that yourself. But that's part of undenied human nature. It's to what extent you want to suppress this nature to make yourself sound "right". I don't think it's good that the guy likes her when she's thin. But at the same time I persoanlly don't think it's bad either since it's just human nature. So the premise is just... normal and real?

Usually guys in shoujo like the main girl just because she's the main character and the author makes it that way. Or you are only fooling yourself that he likes her because of her personality so that you can indentify with the main girl. I personally think most shoujo plotlines are bullshit (it's the demographic I read or watch the least often). They are so fake that I find it hard to keep my attention. Maybe a guy who likes a girl because of her looks will make him sound more believable as a character among the usual shoujo characters.

I know in some cultures, a curvy body shape is preferred. But in a lot of Asian cultures (including Japan), being thin is preferred, because being thin usually makes an Asian girl look younger and more feminine (that may not apply to women of other races due to their physical differences), therefore more attractive? I can totally understand why. I also know that beauty standards can be culturally shaped that's why a lot of people blame society to put unrealistic expectations on women. But do not forget that there's something essential and totally natural (not shaped) in the view of beauty - that is wanting the young and the feminine.

There are male characters who change themselves to attract love interest - remember Densha Otoko?

Society also puts a lot unrealistic expectations on men. And they are not just looks. Society may make women work on their looks to "fit in" or to attract men. But society wants men to work on far more things to fit in.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, this comments section is a dumpster fire...

Anyway, they did a good job adapting Junko's style! Smile Although it just makes me wish more and more they would adapt one of her BL series instead of her trashy shoujo outing lol.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Here's what I want from those who have read far more manga that I - Why isn't there a "Man changes self to become sexually appealing to opposite gender & suitors follow".

there are, that's prety much teh premise for a bunch of shounen where nobody notices tghe mc until he becomes strong, etc... it even happens in some romance comedies like lilim kiss
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Here's what I want from those who have read far more manga that I - Why isn't there a "Man changes self to become sexually appealing to opposite gender & suitors follow". I can think of a couple BL books where the guy does something to make his male crush fall for him, but I can't think of any where the guy loses weight or gets plastic surgery...

That's actually an extremely common trope as well. Like maximilianjenus noted, getting the girl by becoming more physically attractive is quite often a huge motivation is shonen, and it appears in romance films, anime and other entertainment all the time.
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
*looks at all the comments*
....anyways, i'm glad junko's work is getting animated and it looks pretty rad, but i'm surprised that serinuma has green eyes?
(while you're at it, please animate konbini kun as well)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Firstly, you do know that there's a difference between "curvy" and "obese", right? Not to mention, those standards of beauty still revolve around health. Curvy is considered healthy in some cultures (West Africa/South Pacific) because of food shortages or malnutrition being a more prevalent thing.

Depends. Some cultures, like feudal China, liked their women quite fat. There are still some remote tribes today largely untouched by other cultures that are like that.

rheiders wrote:
Wow, this comments section is a dumpster fire...

Anyway, they did a good job adapting Junko's style! Smile Although it just makes me wish more and more they would adapt one of her BL series instead of her trashy shoujo outing lol.

I find it a bit of a bummer that that whole rough sketchiness was lost, at least looking at the covers. I haven't read any of the manga, but I do like that sketchy rough style for the color artwork.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cutiebunny"]
Actar wrote:

Some people are ok with anime and manga stories as fantasies while others feel that they're representative of real life. If you're the latter and are easily perturbed by this double standard, this is not the anime/manga for you.

The actual truth is that there is a line in the sand that becomes blurry, shifted, or erased altogether in everything, including manga and anime. I was just reading the First Love Monster article and switched to this one. Worrying about the principles of humanity sounds a lot easier on paper than it does to focus on your own personal morals and standards. What you find pleasing or exciting does not define you or the rest of your peers, and if you are applying this to an entertainment medium, your thoughts are wasted on forum posts like these. Neither does it validate those standards or ethics by standing either in or out of a crowd. I think we are all smart enough to figure out that beauty and identity are more largely concentrated from our own perceptions, and society just serves to highlight those examples in various degrees of success. It has no bearing on you, who you are, and you should not worry how it makes other people with their own morals and standards, think. Don't be an island, unless you want to be an island, and instead focus on the sunset or the trees or whatever.

Besides, these are animated drawings, right? It's not real, including its characters and intentions. Not at all. Cool
Dextres

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
The male characters are alright for the most part.
honaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:54 am Reply with quote
Okay so most of you guys are totally wrong. Maybe you haven't even read the manga I don't know. First of all, she doesn't change herself for the sake of getting the guys to like her. Second, at least two of the guys show that they still loved her when she was chubby just as much. The whole point of this manga is that she doesn't have to try to fit in societies norms to be likeable, she's just always being herself and that's enough. Even when she tries to conform at first, the others let her know that if she isn't being her real self and isn't having fun then that's no good. Eventually all the love interests realize that what they like about her doesnt have anything to do with the way she looks. All I'm saying is before you go ranting about this and that make sure you actually read it all first. If you have and you still have the same opinion, then that's perfectly fine. While this may not be the best manga in the whole world, it's worth a read and definitely worth more than you guys are giving it credit for.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:

well u should really know in the manga there's this guy who did'nt fall for her because she "transformed into something that is not obese" and yes everyone is actually rooting for him
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
honaki wrote:
Second, at least two of the guys show that they still loved her when she was chubby just as much.

Slash the other guy, the other guy was actually a girl yep there's yuri
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2