• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Season III Videos Preview Animation, Theme Songs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I loved all of them, the animation was exciting and beautiful, and I thought the songs were great also.

In the previews of the episodes I saw, the voice acting for the Outers were impressive also; Junko Minagawa did a perfect imitation of Megumi Ogata's Haruka, so newcomers may never be able to tell the difference between the two.

New opening is better than Moon Pride IMO, which sadly ended up being a lie. Crying or Very sad

Loved the new attacks (especially the literal Spiral Heart Attack), and how the Inners' attacks WORKED and as a team they were able to take down the cat Daimon.

Can't wait until April 4th! Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I liked the animation (so far), and the opening and ending animations seemed well done. I'm just super not sold on the OP music. It's so...soft? It just feels like it clashes with the semi-exciting visuals really badly.

My issue with the ending theme is a little different, in that I feel like it's taking a lot of cues from the way the Classic version handled their relationship (especially the drawn out finger-flexing bit), whereas the manga didn't seem to highlight their interactions with each other as much as they did their interactions with others, like between Haruka and Usagi. As a piece of indulgent fanservice for a couple I really like, I don't mind it, it just feels a little misleading to me. :/

On a somewhat tangential note, is anyone else getting some soft Utena vibes with all the rose petals and flowers being used as frames? Anime hyper
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
All 3 videos are blocked in germany by GEMA...
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

On a somewhat tangential note, is anyone else getting some soft Utena vibes with all the rose petals and flowers being used as frames? Anime hyper

Absolutely! And Hotaru and Chibi-Usa's hand-holding bit as well (I can almost hear "In the Sunlit Garden" right now). I'm okay with that!

I don't like the OP, it sounds weirdly airless.. but the animation looks great and I'm enthusiastic about the new eps!
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
That makes no sense. Why would Toei confirm such vital information exclusively with ANN instead of publicly themselves? Also, how was ANN able to get a way to talk with Toei?

Most of our newsroom staff is at Anime Japan this weekend. Toei is also at Anime Japan. We walked up to them and asked them, that was it. Also it is public, at least to those who attended the Business Area of Anime Japan. It's listed on their English flyer for the series.
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Additionally, Toei Animation confirmed with ANN on Saturday that the third season will have 13 episodes.

Is that 13 eps in a single coeur, or are they going to air twice a month again?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
A single cour, since it's going to air in TV regularly. The biweekly schedule was because it was an ONA
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Additionally, Toei Animation confirmed with ANN on Saturday that the third season will have 13 episodes.

Cue Charlie-Brown-level "ARGH!" Fingers crossed we get some expansion of the storyline overall rather than a 1:1 adaptation. We already had a rushed story the last two seasons. :/

EDIT: Also, WOAH, Haruka's new voice is DEEP. It makes mistaking her for a guy more plausible, but I wonder if it's going to be like that all the time, or if it'll change as her actual sex is revealed. (I miss you already, Megumi Ogata! T^T)

Last edited by whiskeyii on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
I know that the show is meant more for existing fans, but holy spoilers in that opening!

(Also, I don't remember Venus ever using the sword outside of the first arc, but that looked cool)
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
Infinity is one of my favorite arcs in all Sailor Moon canons, so I was already looking forward to Crystal's adaptation. But I am more hyped than ever before! So many improvements have been made and I'm really thankful for that. I'm also loving the new opening and ending songs!

deathfromabove1993 wrote:
Yeah it kinda is. But I'm guessing that they're going by arcs. So that would make the Black Moon arc season 2 and the Dark Kingdom arc season 1.

Yup, Toei seems to be going by arcs. Viz hasn't used the term "season", but even they're planning to release boxsets by story arc (first is the Dark Kingdom set, then the Black Moon, etc.) rather than episode count. Seems that's the official divider for the episodes, so to speak.

Saturn wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

Absolutely! And Hotaru and Chibi-Usa's hand-holding bit as well (I can almost hear "In the Sunlit Garden" right now). I'm okay with that!

I'm loving all the Utena vibes myself. Very Happy I've heard the new director is a HUGE Ikuhara fan, and I'm inclined to believe it after seeing this. I mean the new opening is even done by the same lady who did the Penguindrum openings!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
The season III title is so misleading. Isn't it technically season II?

Yeah it kinda is. But I'm guessing that they're going by arcs. So that would make the Black Moon arc season 2 and the Dark Kingdom arc season 1.

if that is the case then that would mean the dead moon circus aka Super S would be season 4 and the final season would be the stars arc.though the bigger surprise is that they haven't given any of the chapters from the short stories manga their own OVA at least. especially one involving luna which was my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
though the bigger surprise is that they haven't given any of the chapters from the short stories manga their own OVA at least. especially one involving luna which was my favorite.

They may not bother re-adapting the Luna story since it was already done by the 90s anime in movie form.
lonelyboy901

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
It is all fine, but what happened to the new project that was supposed to be announced on March 26? Nobody even mention it anymore...
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
lonelyboy901 wrote:
It is all fine, but what happened to the new project that was supposed to be announced on March 26? Nobody even mention it anymore...

It turned out to be the Dream musicals. Laughing
lonelyboy901

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
lonelyboy901 wrote:

It turned out to be the Dream musicals. Laughing

Good sign, as long as musicals live so do Crystal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3