• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 particularly stood out to me, not because anything good though, but for how Jotaro gives a small speech about how not even most powerful stand can bring back the dead. Those lines could have been good if coming from someone who wasn't involved in the Stardust Crusader events, But because it coming from some who not only knows that's not true but did manage to use his stand to revive a dead guy, comes off as Jotaro being full of it.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
I don't necessarily live under a rock musically, but I actually haven't heard of any of them. I should have known the Pink Floyd one, but I've never heard of Asia or 'The Band'.

Darn, I was getting pretty much all of them in Part I and II.

Well, maybe The Band or Asia are not that famous, but most of the others used are certainly pretty famous. By the way, there are references in Part III, just not mainly in Stands.

I noticed some of them in Part III, just not anywhere near as much as Part I and II. It didn't help that many of the references moved away from the 60s and 70s, thus I no longer recognized them as much (ones like Abdul were completely lost to me). Also, some of them were hidden by CR subs completely removing them. "Captain Tennille" was called "Captain Dragon" in the CR sub.

vapwaazu wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Well, maybe The Band or Asia are not that famous, but most of the others used are certainly pretty famous. By the way, there are references in Part III, just not mainly in Stands.

The Band were pretty famous in the 60s and 70s.

Asia was popular 80s supergroup, most well known for their song Heat Of The Moment.

Right, most of the music references will now move onto stands rather than characters and that will be pretty consistent until part 7.

I'm a big fan of 60s and 70s music... I just looked up The Band on Spotify, and I do actually recognize a few of their songs. They never were my favorite, so I never looked into who sung them.

I also know that song by Asia. I wouldn't have known them because the 80s are not my thing.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Would have been nice if the review talked about the bow and arrow plot point, considering it's pretty darn important to the overall story.

I guess I'm just used to Jacob's reviews(who was the previous reviewer for this series) since he usually likes to get into the nitty-gritty of things, which I appreciate.
Hmph!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:24 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
I hear a lot of good things about Jojo on the net so I decided to watch the first episode of Diamond is Unbreakable to see what the fuss is all about.

After the first episode I absolutely did not feel impelled to watch another but on a whim I watched episode 2 anyways. The 2nd episode is better but I still don't see anything that would make me feel like watching the third episode.

Got no problem with the animation style or the animation quality and I can clearly see where the gimmicks are when they try to live up to the adjective "Bizarre" in the title which I suppose are the plus parts of the series because there's so far not a lot going for it otherwise.

I see people have supernatural powers and "spirit embodiments" which they use to fight other spirit embodiments which on paper sounds like a decent premise for an action series but the actual fights are bizarrely bland with the most used move being a simple punch followed by a typical "rapid-fire" punch combo. That's it. I've seen a lot of action series in my time so this doesn't even come across as average. The water guy in episode 2 only shook things up a little since his spirit embodiment is quite versatile, but in the end his real body was found and punched into a rock, the end.

I know Jojo has many independent sagas so I guess I can't speak for most of Jojo in general (unless most of it is similar in most respects to Diamond is Unbreakable) but as far as DiU is concerned, it's overhyped and I feel my expectations going in to my first encounter with Jojo to be a bit too high (not that if my expectations were low my opinion would have been any different).

Shhh! You should know already by now that this forum has turned into a JJBA's circle jerk. Its community score will never drop below 4.0 because no matter how bad or average an episode is, the community will rate it 4.5 and hype it up anyway 'cus its JoJo Very Happy
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Okuyasu went from annoying villain to gureito sidekick.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I always found Jotaro pretty boring to be honest, Josuke's character is much more up my alley and his power is intriguing. And while i can already see Okuyasu becoming a fave of mine, i really liked his evil brother's power. That toy soldier army was just too cute (and rather deadly)! Very Happy
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
JJBA circlejerk tho. Never thought I'd read that.

Anyway, regarding the confusion with Crazy Diamond, it comes from not explaining its power properly. Crazy D. is actually a chronokinetic Stand, that means his power is not "fixing" things, it's turning things to a previous state. That does not mean turning ice into water or paper into wood, it's somewhat restricted for not being able to go very far back in time.

It needs a lot of concencentration though, since sometimes Josuke wants to send something back to where it was like he does with Aqua Necklace and Angelo, or directly reverting things to their previous state on the spot like with Okuyasu and Koichi. Likewise, when he gets angry, he has no control of what he is reverting or where he is putting it, hence the mash up that became of Angelo.

EDIT: Forgot to explain why the missiles relaunched: he put them back to how they were when Keicho launched them, but with a different direction.

Last edited by Valhern on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:

First, Stardust crusaders didn't cut anything from the original source material except for the senator Philips scene in a way.

That scene wasn't really integral to anything though. Just a random scene of Dio forcing a guy to rundown a sidewalk full of pedestrians. But at the very least the results were kept in
I do believe they took out the scene of Dio killing the owner of the store Jotaro sent him crashing through though.

thepsychogamer wrote:
But because it coming from some who not only knows that's not true but did manage to use his stand to revive a dead guy, comes off as Jotaro being full of it.

If you're talking about him resuscitating Joseph he didn't use his stand for that.

BlueBeast33 wrote:
Would have been nice if the review talked about the bow and arrow plot point, considering it's pretty darn important to the overall story.

It's also a pretty darn stupid retcon on Araki's part.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I gotta admit, Tub 'o Soldiers is a pretty great stand. Very Happy

Not sure what's the point of changing Bad Co. to Worse, when it's written on his collar and is in the background of the OP.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
snip

You mean the scene in which she fetches him his leg? No, she is shown clearly dead and then thrown away.

And yeah, even if we think it's a bit overstretched, Jotaro saved Joseph because he was still alive. I don't remember if in the anime it's said, but in the manga Jotaro clearly says "It's only been three or four minutes, there is still time!" hinting that Joseph was still not brain dead, since it takes five minutes for the brain to die out of lack of oxygen, in this case, because his blood was drained and his heart stopped. Star Platinum only worked as a super defibrilator because it directly restarted a heart.

In the case of Josuke's granddad, he instadied, Angelo destroyed his head.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I gotta admit, Tub 'o Soldiers is a pretty great stand. Very Happy

Not sure what's the point of changing Bad Co. to Worse, when it's written on his collar and is in the background of the OP.

I've seen that a lot of people are butthurt over this. Although I do kinda agree that it is pretty bad. They could have changed it to Battle Company and caused a whole lot less grief.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to the reviews. Gonna be honest I'm kinda disappointed seeing Jacob's not the reviewer this time around, his reviews of Stardust Crusaders last year were pretty great. Ah well can't have everything and although I disagree with the reviews so far it never hurts to read a different perspective.

Since I'm a week late I need to bring up that I love The Hand, it's such a cool stand with such interesting abilities. Not my favorite part 4 stand but such a cool one that could potentially be so overpowered if not for...well...Okuyasu.

Bad Company is okay as well, but honestly it's always been one of my less liked stands in this part, and I feel the could have increased the pace of this episode a little to fit in spoiler[Leddo Hotto Chilli Peppa]. But overall I'm loving Part 4 so far, even more than the manga, although I guess duwang will do that to you.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

You mean the scene in which she fetches him his leg? No, she is shown clearly dead and then thrown away.

They did? must've been too much going on for me to notice that.

3ngag3 wrote:

I've seen that a lot of people are butthurt over this. Although I do kinda agree that it is pretty bad. They could have changed it to Battle Company and caused a whole lot less grief.

I can't wait til EA and Dice stop dragging their feet and get around to making
Battlefield: Worst Company 3 Razz
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:

thepsychogamer wrote:
But because it coming from some who not only knows that's not true but did manage to use his stand to revive a dead guy, comes off as Jotaro being full of it.

If you're talking about him resuscitating Joseph he didn't use his stand for that.

Ya might want to rewatch that episode, because yes Jotaro did uses his stand to resurrect Joseph, specifically to restart Joseph's heart.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
thepsychogamer wrote:

Ya might want to rewatch that episode, because yes Jotaro did uses his stand to resurrect Joseph, specifically to restart Joseph's heart.

Yes he used Star Platinum to artificially jump start/pump Joseph's heart but Joseph was ultimately saved by the emergency blood transfusion he under went (which should've been impossible). Which is what I should've clarified.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 28