• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Zestira the X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, the climax of this episode was amazing. On the other, I'm really bummed that we missed out on some of my favorite character development between Sorey and Mikleo in the game. For reference, the "altercation" in the episode preview a few weeks ago was the start of this mini-arc (which is resolved right away, unlike the anime).

In the game spoiler[Mikleo asks Lailah right off about becoming a Sub-Lord, to get the power to purify. Sorey doesn't want him to, though, because that would tie him permanently to Sorey and his quest, and Sorey wants Mikleo to be able to choose his own destiny. He is ignoring, of course, the fact that this is what Mikleo wants, but, at the same time, Sorey doesn't want Mikleo to make a spur-of-the-moment decision that will affect the rest of his life.] This argument is why Mikleo leaves.

Ultimately, the resolution is fairly similar, and I'm glad they kept the scene where Sorey already knows Mikleo's True Name, because it illustrates how close they are. It always reminded me a lot of the relationship between Cutter and Skywise in ElfQuest. The two are "brothers in all but blood," and when Leetah, Cutter's lifemate, accidentally mutters Cutter's soul name (similar idea to True Name, but supposed to be secret) in front of Skywise, Cutter just laughs and says that Skywise has always known it.

Also, FYI, Luzrov Rulay means spoiler[Mikleo the Enforcer].

Atakk was fun, like I expected, and I'm glad he wasn't cut. And was that Kansai-ben he was using?

At this point, we have 3 episodes left this cour, and 12 in winter, with a LOT of game left to cover (for those that remember the "false advertising" complaints from the game, the preview seems to imply that that will be next week's episode). Plus, we have to get to a suitable cliffhanger and/or breaking spot. Given that next week's, by the title, will finish up stuff in Marlind with Alisha, that would mean that the final two episodes of the cour would be spoiler[the events at Glaivend Basin], most likely going through spoiler[Rose rescuing Sorey], setting us up with a cliffhanger, as well as a good starting point for the second cour.

That also gives us a HUGE amount of territory to cover in the second cour, in addition to presumably another crossover with Berseria. My guess is that both spoiler[the Trials] and spoiler[Mayvin's entire storyline] will be skipped. The overall importance of both, however, can, and likely will, be presented to us in different ways. Plus, if spoiler[Mayvin, and the majority of the Iris Orbs with him] are skipped, that also cuts out any reason for spoiler[anything on the other side of the Great Camelot Bridge] to be included, letting us skip straight from spoiler[the events in Pendrago] to spoiler[the events back in the Basin]. Heck, we could probably skip spoiler[the entire thing with Gododdin and the missing Pope], too, and not miss out on much.

Thinking on this, I'm not as worried as I was about timing for the second cour, although they will have to tighten up a bit, still. I'm actually curious if they'll find a way to include spoiler[the bad ending's path], because that could be a way to give us more exposition.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Solid episode. Animation remains strong as expected while we got Sorey and Mikelo in action against that powerful Hellion.

That Attak guy introduced seems to have the ability to power up other characters' abilities? Seems quite useful given the right circumstances. I do like Sorey's new transformation as well.The chemistry between Attak and Mikelo is also fun to watch.

Also I guess Edna isn't very impressed by Alisha yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty solid episode. I like that they kinda foreshadowed that Mikleo would show up at the right time by constantly showing us how he was getting closer to the rest of the group. And this episode worked pretty well as a mini-arc.

Now I'm not really sure why Mikleo had to sign up the contract (or whatever they did) with Lailah. What was up with that? And I'm assuming that they did all that same stuff with Edna behind the scenes.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Now I'm not really sure why Mikleo had to sign up the contract (or whatever they did) with Lailah. What was up with that? And I'm assuming that they did all that same stuff with Edna behind the scenes.

Only Lailah, through her Pact (the same as they talked about in the Berseria episodes) and as Prime Lord, and the Shepherd (through her) have the power to Purify. Without the power to purify, the best you can do is drive back Hellions if you're powerful enough (like was seen with Mikleo and Atakk). To be able to purify themselves, other Seraph have to become Sub-Lords to the Prime Lord (humans would have to become Squires to the Shepherd, which is what Alisha did in the game). Edna asked Lailah for the Sub-Lord pact in last week's episode, but they didn't show the actual ceremony like they did this week.

It was vaguely brought up before (I know in Lailah and Mikleo's scene before he left, and I think earlier as well), but I didn't notice it wasn't very clear since I already understood how it worked ^^;
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Ok, I was thinking something along those lines but that clears it up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
Man, the team up with Sorey and Mikleo was awesome, a really cool super attack.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Well that was obvious who the character was under the mask.

I like how Alisha took on a leadership-like role again for the group to show what she's capable of. Plus, I think the episode did a decent job at portraying Lilah's role as well up to this point. The town seems to be still recovering from the Hellion attacks..

Sorey becoming more well known for his Shepherd status doesn't surprise me. I think the idea of purifying humans is something he'll have to get used to and the fact that malevolence will exist because human lives are too fragile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
I think Alisha just proved she's the character with the biggest balls in the show.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
This episode was primarily anime-original, but I felt it did a good job of exposition on things that needed to be explained/touched on, without making us bored. Also, it serves well as a calm before the storm.

I am looking forward to the next (probably 2) episode(s). Soldiers have been sent to the buffer zone, it's not looking good, and Sorey is going as well.

The events in the Basin are some of my favorites in the game. I know some people, in either this or the other thread were commenting on how easy the fights have been. In the game, while they weren't a walk in the park, they were still fairly easy. Now, though, we get to the Basin, and spoiler[Sorey learns that he's NOT all-powerful, and barely makes it out alive]. I'm still expecting the cour to end here.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking that despite initially liking Alisha, she was starting to bore me with her overly kind, polite and honourable attitude. She was pretty badass this episode though so that bumped her up for me a bit. I do think that Edna's snarkiness is more fun. And Rose is easygoing and a bit of a teaser, she reminds me of Erika from Mahouka (I apologize to everyone for making that comparison Razz) so I like her.

This episode's preview short/skit thingy was the best so far in my opinion.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

That was pretty thrilling, episode felt like it went really fast.

The mass purification was quite a battle although I think Sorey struggled a bit himself. Alisha and Rose's new alliance is noticeable this episode. So yeah...I think this sets up for the season 1 finale well. Expecting a big battle against that "human hellion" or whatever.

Oh poor Alisha...

Btw, they confirmed season 2 today.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
The focus put on developing random of Alisha's knights is wearing thin. All of that time wasted, that they could have used for other things.

That being said, the episode primarily went where I expected. Meeting Sergei early was a nice touch, and integrating the skipped encounter with Rose from Marlind into the new storyline with Alisha was a nice touch. spoiler[Originally we first got glimpse of Dezel when Rose attacked Sorey in Marlind.]

I dunno where they are going with the Rose/Alisha storyline, but they seemed to have set up perfectly for a good breaking point/cliffhanger for next week. Can't wait until January.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well... that was quite a spectacle. I would agree that they spent a bit too much time with those Alisha's two knights. Oh, they are childhood friends and had a crush on the same guy? Great. Do I care? No. That being said the worthless banter didn't really bother me all that much. The episode was otherwise great so it didn't really affect the overall experience.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the scene with the knights did drag on and assumedly is only there to make us feel bad when they get killed off. Surprised they didn't die in this episode, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
Sorey was able to do some pretty cool combinations to subdue that warzone, only to see that it was only one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 18