• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Time Travel: Who Got It Right?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Pardon my salt, but PMMM's entire time-travel "twist" was lifted pretty much in its entirety from Higurashi - When They Cry, with Madoka's extra "twist" being that it was all about convincing preteen girls that their lot in life was to suffer, and any attempt to change that was arrogance to be punished with even greater suffering. Higurashi, meanwhile, was about rejecting cynicism to prove that an optimal solution exists only for those who continue to believe in it.

Rika's one of my childhood heroes, alright? Embarassed

Coming from someone who's a huge fan of Higurashi and not at all a fan of Madoka, you're pretty much wrong on that front. First off, what Higurashi does isn't even time travel. It's more along the lines of traveling to parallel worlds, in hopes of finding one that doesn't end in tragedy. What Madoka does is more akin to actual time travel.

Second, unless you somehow missed that final episode, I fail to see how you came to the conclusion that Madoka's message was something as soul-crushingly nihilistic (and might I add stupidly misogynistic; I won't argue that Madoka is a feminist anime or anything like that, but come on) as that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
@EmperorBrandon

You might want to use spoiler tags. Some of us are waiting for the legal stream of Kuromukuro.
unready

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
3. Visitors From Tomorrow
Other Examples: Noein, ...

Noein doesn't really involve time travel. It involves the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, in which some worlds may have evolved more quickly or more slowly than others. So the visitors aren't from the future. They're from a closely-related parallel world that evolved independently and more quickly, so our world looks like the past to them, but isn't their past. The fact that it's not the past is mentioned several times as the characters debate among themselves the significance of various events.

The conceit that it's possible to travel between worlds makes it extremely implausible. Noein tries to get around that by having the bodies of the world-hoppers replaced with bodies identical to their original ones, but composed of a different type of subatomic particles. Unfortunately, Noein proceeds to blow its own basis when spoiler[Haruka, Yuu, and eventually their friends and Haruka's house get transported between worlds, despite all being composed of conventional matter].

For anyone who knows something about quantum collapse and branes, it's cool that Noein is science fiction that's actually based on science (unlike, say, everything in Star Trek from The Next Generation onward, where the writers would just insert "[technobabble]" in the scripts any time they wanted to invoke "science" and make up the words for "[technobabble]" later).

Last edited by unready on Fri May 13, 2016 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
Pardon my salt, but PMMM's entire time-travel "twist" was lifted pretty much in its entirety from Higurashi - When They Cry, with Madoka's extra "twist" being that it was all about convincing preteen girls that their lot in life was to suffer, and any attempt to change that was arrogance to be punished with even greater suffering. Higurashi, meanwhile, was about rejecting cynicism to prove that an optimal solution exists only for those who continue to believe in it.

Rika's one of my childhood heroes, alright? Embarassed

Coming from someone who's a huge fan of Higurashi and not at all a fan of Madoka, you're pretty much wrong on that front. First off, what Higurashi does isn't even time travel. It's more along the lines of traveling to parallel worlds, in hopes of finding one that doesn't end in tragedy. What Madoka does is more akin to actual time travel.

Second, unless you somehow missed that final episode, I fail to see how you came to the conclusion that Madoka's message was something as soul-crushingly nihilistic (and might I add stupidly misogynistic; I won't argue that Madoka is a feminist anime or anything like that, but come on) as that.
Was about to say pretty much this. Besides, Higurashi can be given a very similarly grim interpretation if you take into account Umineko's implication that spoiler[Rika's accumulated suffering and despair gave birth to the horrible witch Bernkastel]. Admittedly the final game in the Umineko series casts major doubt on this interpretation, but hey, as long as we're ignoring finales here anything's fair game Very Happy

Speaking of time travel methods, I wonder if there's an anime/manga/LN/VN that featured something similar to the one from Primer. I mean, there's gotta be at least one LN writer geeky enough to find it interesting Smile
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Now and Then,Here and There should have been in this list too,shouldn't it?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
I'll laugh when people realise that spoiler[Re:Zero isn't about time-travel but "dimension" hopping.]

Somehow, this is even more sad. But if you really take a moment to sit back and think about the name, it gives it away. It's easy to misunderstand though, because of how the show started, you'd think it's the same every time. That's some clever use of diction right there.

Just noticed the thing about the name!! spoiler[ aka "No turning back" or something like this]

PS:spoiler[everyone here is talking about parallel world xD]

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Fri May 13, 2016 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote

There are a few other series the article mentioned that actually use the "parallel world" conceit as well, so I don't think Higurashi's use disqualifies it from that classification.

The time travel itself was pretty much a nihilistic exercise in futility, and the rest of that ending was, well... Just imagine someone deciding that they can make all their friends happy by removing themselves entirely from their lives, and that's why I can't really see that ending as "beautiful" and "hopeful" like I'm supposed to.

But it sounds to me like you objected more to the idea that a comparison could be made, so please put the axe down. We don't need to argue about this, I was just stating my own impression.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
Videogamep wrote:
The best time travel story I've seen is Steins;Gate, since it's the only one that actively works to avoid the usual paradoxes and plot holes that come with time travel. The science behind it is also based on real physics and, from what I've heard, at least works theoretically.

-Steins Gate has plot holes.
-The reason that created the time machine is the spoiler[death of Cristina. But if she does not die, as they will create a time machine ?]
-One could argue that there are parallel universes. But in the anime it was established that there are no parallel universes.

Firstly, you should use spoiler tags for that. As for the actual issue spoiler[her death itself isn't what caused them to create the time machine. Okabe thinking she was dead and sending the first D-mail was what caused it. All that was important was that Okabe saw her lying on the floor there in what looked like blood so he would assume she was dead and send the D-mail. That's why Okabe had to do that in order to save her in the last episode. Anything else would have created the contradiction you just described.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised this hasn't been mentioned. While the Servants in Fate are generally based on historical/mythological figures spoiler[Archer from Stay Night is actually from the future so it has 3 and in UBW has 4, what with Future Emiya wanting to change his past so he doesn't become Counter Force, which is kinda 5 in that he had to change world historic events. Or make sure they went the right way depending on your perspective]
I can see why that passage was worded that way as any other wording indicating otherwise could be considered a spoiler

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Fri May 13, 2016 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I think explaining the nuances of Servants as they relate to time would have taken over the entire article. spoiler[Archer] is a capital S Spoiler, though.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I say don't judge time travel unless the impact it creates is VERY heavy.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I think explaining the nuances of Servants as they relate to time would have taken over the entire article. spoiler[Archer] is a capital S Spoiler, though.
It was more that it wasn't mentioned here that surprised me not the article itself
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'ma throw this one out there, because I've no idea which numbers it corresponds to...
Natsu no Arashi
you've got your movements through time for various reason, but also the supernatural... huh, wonder if spoilertags are required for a 7 year old show, that seems unremebered... but.
spoiler[
Immediately struck me funny how the time travel tropes, like meeting yourself coming the other way, were woven in seamlessly, and amusingly... but also how the jumps require a ghost, and a modern person to connect to...

But the heart of the matter, were the relationships between people whose times are moving at different speeds. And the children of those people...
]

It's interesting to think of time travel as a device to split people apart... no matter the time stream, if it's actual time or multiverse/multidimension, or any of the other reasons, it is another thing that speaks to falling out of other people's lives... or the transitory nature of lives within time.

I guess for all that, Natsu no Arashi fits 4. Do Over Button, and 2. Waking up in the future.

A fave that is not listed would be RahXephon. Another one about people living lives at different speeds, and trying to resolve that dilemma.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The best use of time travel in cartoons was Fry becoming his own grandpa in Futurama. What's the point of time travel if you can't get up to hilarious, incest-y shenanigans? Smile (See also: Back to the Future). Come to think of it, has anyone managed to become their own ancestor in anime yet?

Really enjoyed the article, and I'm very glad it had no spoilers, because I'm one of the few people who is still planning to watch Stiens:Gate...someday, probably.

On a more serous note, Voices of a Distant Star is fantastic, and the manga is even better (or at least easier to understand) than the anime.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster. It's the only Anime that does it right. It's older.. a classic. Without a doubt.. worth the watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4