• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KyoAni Award-Winning Novel Violet Evergarden Gets Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
^I was going to comment about that too and forgot about it. Makes me wonder how terrible the ones in the other languages are Laughing
oOJonnyOo

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ohh that animation is gorgeous
grooven

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap that looks amazing, just wow.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Like the synopsis for the series, as I was drawn to Plastic Memories (which I enjoyed, but it wasn't great) for the whole emotional aspect of the series. PV looks great, would be nice if those that worked on it return for the TV series.

And, I'm hoping that the 2nd (and final, if the note in the article about the kanji is correct) comes out before the anime starts. Would like for the anime to adapt the complete story.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

So...camera angles tell you about the story, but character acting doesn't because it's just animation that doesn't involve directing and animation is not an advantage of the medium? Alright.

I believe it's just your personal bias with KyoAni, or with this anime, since you're just basing it on comparison with other show you did like (I didn't even finish Hyouka because it bored me, and I don't draw any comparison to it), and setting a bar it was never supposed to meet..

Look at what you wrote, you say that if it's competent, it's not good? What? You might say it's not among the greatest things you saw (and by the way, it's not mine, my favourite in Eupho is not in webm to link it and it doesn't have particularly excellent animation), but you can't say that competent is not good, because you are literally saying that it does what it's supposed to do, convey feelings of the characters. It's not meeting your standars, which is something different.

And even more, you focused on a particularly acclaimed scene to point out that it's super generic, instead of the other examples I put. You're clearly saying that they're giving Euphonium unneeded praise, therefore you're harsh on it.

You failed to answer my main issue with Hibikie - why not use live action if you want something to simply be realistic like that? The advantages of animation are in exaggeration and creating a scene to be exactly what you want using certain choices in colour palette and, as you say, animation. But Hibike seems to focus all its attention on the animation specifically which makes it technically impressive but that doesn't make it stand out as an animation to me.

We are talking about KyoAni as a whole as well as HIbike Euponium, so it's perfectly reasonable for me to judge it against a work by the studio which I actually felt was worth talking about. Especially since this is all related to how good their newest work will be...so you SHOULD be drawing comparisons to their other series, especially their other adaptions.

No. Competent doesn't mean good, you are misunderstanding the words. Competent means that it does what it should be doing, that doesn't make it good. But that's beside the point, I have previously said in this post the show as a whole was good - but that doesn't mean all aspects of it are good nor does it make the show amazing like you would argue. That scene doesn't blow me away, it doesn't impress me, it doesn't deepen the emotional impact of that character particularly - this is why it's competant. Yes, because I have high standards for KyoAni and for any animation studio that has shown they can produce an genuinely great series. I want them to keep making them.

They are? Why should I need to give extra examples, 'running crying anime' in google gives me at least 5, it's not a new concept.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Like the synopsis for the series, as I was drawn to Plastic Memories (which I enjoyed, but it wasn't great) for the whole emotional aspect of the series. PV looks great, would be nice if those that worked on it return for the TV series.

And, I'm hoping that the 2nd (and final, if the note in the article about the kanji is correct) comes out before the anime starts. Would like for the anime to adapt the complete story.

The KA Esuma staff (who also work under the "Literature" label of animation production) have the entire manuscript along with any changes made by Akatsuki. It's highly probable that the series composition will use both novels (or possibly all 3 if there's a 中 volume).

Given that there were two commercials made to promote books and both commercials had the director continue onto the TV series, it's very likely that Taichi Ishidate will be the director of the series. I doubt the animation director will be chief AD as she's a newer key animator and not very experienced in that realm (plus Ishidate likes Kadowaki and instantly requested her once joining Kyoukai). The rest of the staff are likely to continue on (and Kigami will direct a couple episodes).
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
snip.

Are you kidding me? It's an anime studio, they do anime, if they want to do anime they just do it. It's as if you're asking me why don't they make it a live action the answer is I have no damn idea, it's like asking me why did they make Rurouni Kenshin live action movies instead of a reboot anime, they just wanted to and did it. And I still don't get how it's focused on animation but it doesn't impress you on animation. And by the way, almost all KyoAni shows (except for Phantom World) follow a certain color palette, and in Euphonium they are particularly used in backgrounds such as the sun setting or night time city. I guess we'll have to disagree on this point.

The one misinterpreting things here is you. I didn't say you set a high bar for KyoAni, you set a high bar since you liked Hyouka. The first anime I watched from KyoAni was K-ON! and it interested me in what other series the same studio would make, thus checking out Hyouka, Kyoukai no Kanata, or Chu2Koi. I thoroughly disliked all of these, but they're all completely different from each other, with different purposes and objectives, so I can't consider them as "bad shows for KyoAni or compared to K-ON!". If I have to compare them to state on my overall opinion on KyoAni is one thing, a different thing is saying whether, by themselves, are good anime or not compared to everything you've watched. By the way, you're the only one talking about KyoAni overall, at least, I'm not.

Otherwise, I'd have to say that Mahou Sensou and Mahouka are bad because Madhouse did better shows like Hunter x Hunter or Casshern Sins. Why should I care what the studio did before if I'm watching what they are doing now? I don't have to expect them to make an anime as good as the one I watched before, because it's very likely it's not the same people working, and even if they are the same people, it's not guaranteed they'll be doing a job as good.

And you're also contradicting yourself because you're literally avoiding the implication of competence. When something is competent, it means that, in comparison, does well what others do wrong, therefore it did it well. Good doesn't have to be stellar, excellent, or that blows your mind away. If you don't want to say it's a good job, just say it was bad, it's easy as that.
aiem

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

The KA Esuma staff (who also work under the "Literature" label of animation production) have the entire manuscript along with any changes made by Akatsuki. It's highly probable that the series composition will use both novels (or possibly all 3 if there's a 中 volume).

Given that there were two commercials made to promote books and both commercials had the director continue onto the TV series, it's very likely that Taichi Ishidate will be the director of the series. I doubt the animation director will be chief AD as she's a newer key animator and not very experienced in that realm (plus Ishidate likes Kadowaki and instantly requested her once joining Kyoukai). The rest of the staff are likely to continue on (and Kigami will direct a couple episodes).

I hope she at least gets a hand in keeping the designs close to the novels. Kamoi did pretty good with the designs and then they decided to alter it a bit which annoyed me a little bit.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
I can't blame KyoAni for not taking any risks, but i would love to see them step out of the comfort zone and do something more creative. So far the only thing that stands out is animation (as always).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:
I can't blame KyoAni for not taking any risks, but i would love to see them step out of the comfort zone and do something more creative. So far the only thing that stands out is animation (as always).

If it makes you feel at ease, this is the first time KyoAni is doing a setting that is NOT in a Japanese high school, and the cast are pretty much adults. And if the premise is what it is, the episodic structure would allow them to be creative to varying degrees.
aiem

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:

People tend to throw this a lot. If by risks you mean like Gonzo throwing themselves under the bus by making too many original IPs and failing financially then no. You won't see that here.

The thing is we just generally say that KyoAni doesn't like taking risks. When in the business side, they're taking a huge risk by animating their own material and having a bigger role on the production committee. That means they'll be spending more than the usual contractual projects. Of course, this equates to a much more wider aspect of revenue on their side but could also spell their doom if things took a wrong turn. This is how some animation studio like Bones or Madhouse stay afloat. They don't shoulder much of the burden with contractual works.

Oh and another thing, KyoAni is relatively small compared to big time studios. You cannot compare them to the likes of Bones, Production IG, Sunrise. etc. Those companies have multiple studios under them, hence the reason why they can sometimes manage to produce more shows regularly. So for KyoAni, if they fail hard one season, they would certainly feel the repercussions more.

Food for thought.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Thanks for that info, especially on the staff side of things. Personally, staff isn't something that catches my eye, nor is it something I pay any attention to. I just liked the look of the video in the article.

And, on the story side of things, I'm always after anime that will cover the entirety of the source material. I know that it is something rare (or maybe it seems that way to me), and I do feel like a lot of my appreciation for some anime series wanes when the ending isn't to my liking (due to it having to be open ended due to the source being an ongoing series).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4