• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Trigger Animator Takafumi Hori Works on Latest Episode of Steven Universe Animated Seri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Quote:
Oooo, we got another guest Japanese animator on an American cartoon. I wonder how long we're going to see a Cartoon Network regular animator or staff work on something on a Japanese title

I would say extremely unlikely given the circumstance. Usually the reason western cartoons get Japanese guest animators or have Japanese company to animate their show is because they're huge anime fans or they're trying to get some kind of street cred. Shows like Korra, Boondocks, and Steven Universe try to build themselves as anime or at least try to insert themselves into the anime community so it makes sense why they would do these kinds of things to be more 'authentic'. Given how strong the anime industry is I don't see why any of them would need or want animators of Cartoon Network to animate a season or do a guest spot for their shows. There's no real street cred to be gained from doing so with Japanese audiences who couldn't care less about American animation, and while people often complain about anime going off model, the episodes of Steven Universe I've watched they go off model all the time and there doesn't seem to be very much 'on model' going on so it's not exactly skill they would be looking for. I would say the closest you'll get is Westerners working at Japanese studios, but most of them are French, not American. I think Japan recruits from Gobelins usually, not Calarts or other American schools.

-Stuart Smith
That's kind of harsh don't you think? American animators do have talent.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going off what I've heard. Japanese companies seem to reach out towards Gobelins alumni more than any other school. Thomas Romain is probably the most well known. He's the guy who made Code Lyoko then moved on to work in the anime industry in Japan. France and Japan seem to have a closer relationship than America and Japan does.

-Stuart Smith
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I'm just going off what I've heard. Japanese companies seem to reach out towards Gobelins alumni more than any other school. Thomas Romain is probably the most well known. He's the guy who made Code Lyoko then moved on to work in the anime industry in Japan. France and Japan seem to have a closer relationship than America and Japan does.

-Stuart Smith
I'm not so sure about that, America gets more anime than Europe does, I hear that is quite a complaint I hear from non american anime fans saying how the anime available to them is not very good.

America and Japan have a closer one than with France. but I could be wrong.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
SU is atypical in that the offmodel is what the staff's described as "consistently inconsistent". That's to say, it's a deliberate choice to let storyboard artists work within their favored styles where they're at their best. Every animated projects have some slipups, but it's mostly consistent within the episodes individually. The core design traits are strictly followed to keep the characters distinct with unique character designs, and the actual animation is fairly smooth and detailed, especially after season 1. The art of LL's water tower reaching into space, the big fusion fight scenes, the dances themselves, the surreal horror sequence with the Cluster, and Pearl's musical number in "Mr. Greg" are jaw-dropping. Not to mention the stunning backgrounds of outer space in "Bubbled".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I think the first ep of Avatar the Last Airbender I saw was one of the weaker first season eps, and it turned me off the show for years. It was when I happened to catch The Boiling Rock third season 2 parter during one of NickToons marathons that made me want to watch more. AtLA is now one of my favorite animated shows of all time. Same with Adventure Time, I didn't "get" it until I saw all the hype around that first big Marcy & Simon ep, and then I started watching all the plot focused eps. Good stuff. It's a good strategy to use for long running, filler filled shonen manga based anime, too--there you can literally pick & choose whatever arcs you want to watch & skip most everything else. Life's too short to watch bad filler!

The only problem is that it's hard to recommend a good starting point for Steven Universe in particular, because the first season is very hit-or-miss, and while many episodes contain important info towards the ongoing plot, it doesn't really get going until the finale (not that there's anything wrong with watching the finale first and going backwards). If you're not too averse to spoilers, I'd recommend picking episodes from Wikipedia's plot summaries in the episode guide based on what sounds interesting and the aspects and characters of the show you enjoy the most. A good plot heavy ep that showcases how *dark* and character-focused the series can get is the season 1 two-parter Mirror Gem (eps 25 & 26) which introduces Lapis Lazuli.
Have fun!

I really have the worst luck with picking the shows to get started on that you get more out of by watching in order. I passed on Avatar: The Last Airbender because initially, it looked like Totally Spies! Then I passed on Steven Universe because the early commercials made it look like a YouTube Poop kind of show, akin to Uncle Grandpa, with the premise appearing to be a SpongeBob-like character getting dropped into a Jem and the Holograms type show.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Then I passed on Steven Universe because the early commercials made it look like a YouTube Poop kind of show, akin to Uncle Grandpa, with the premise appearing to be a SpongeBob-like character getting dropped into a Jem and the Holograms type show.

Same. I don't think I got into Steven Universe until we had that feature Jacob did about all the anime homages SU had done. Even then, I wasn't sure I wanted to keep watching, but since it was only 11 minutes a pop, it was do-able to just marathon three or four at a time. It wasn't til the body-horror of the Cat Fingers episode that I started realizing maybe Steven Universe had some hidden depth to it after all. Very glad I stuck with it. Very Happy
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
And a lot of my students had heard of it, but not a single one was a fan. They liked other cartoons more.

People really like to overblow the popularity of American cartoons in Japan. People to this day still like to say My Little Pony is popular in Japan despite the fact the show was cancelled years ago and was very small to begin with and limited to the kemono demograph. They might just hear the fact that a show airs in Japan and presume it to be popular, unaware that most American cartoons air in Japan by default. This thread is the first time I've ever seen people claiming Steven Universe was popular in Japan.

Do you have any evidence that American cartoons aren't popular in Japan? Besides, people do the same for anime in the West, especially America. Anime is probably less popular in the US than American cartoons in Japan. IBO has some of the highest ratings of any anime at the moment. It has less viewers than Spongebob in Japan.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Do you have any evidence that American cartoons aren't popular in Japan? Besides, people do the same for anime in the West, especially America. Anime is probably less popular in the US than American cartoons in Japan. IBO has some of the highest ratings of any anime at the moment. It has less viewers than Spongebob in Japan.
IBO? Don't forget Frozen broke the Japanese box office.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

IBO? Don't forget Frozen broke the Japanese box office.

LOL Spirited Away still had more viewers, yen was stronger back then. Where's the source for the spongebob stuff?
Has more viewers than Shin chan and stuff like that? doubt it

Yoh Yoshinari is a big fan of cartoons and he has an influence in Hori animation, I bet he made him a fan. There are some anime fans in the staff of this show also, they already did a homage to Utena in one episode.

A Disney animator did a test for an anime studio and failed because couldn't do layouts or clean his own animation to save his life. CalArts guys are too snob for anime and brainwashed to a process that doesn't work in the real world for tv, so they are still waiting for a miracle to happen and someday be able to animate their own shows.

Poor guys will be waiting for ever. I guess schools in France are more open minded when they even had people like Yasuo Otsuka giving a Masterclass.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Scarlet_Scapegrace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Then I passed on Steven Universe because the early commercials made it look like a YouTube Poop kind of show, akin to Uncle Grandpa, with the premise appearing to be a SpongeBob-like character getting dropped into a Jem and the Holograms type show.

Same. I don't think I got into Steven Universe until we had that feature Jacob did about all the anime homages SU had done. Even then, I wasn't sure I wanted to keep watching, but since it was only 11 minutes a pop, it was do-able to just marathon three or four at a time. It wasn't til the body-horror of the Cat Fingers episode that I started realizing maybe Steven Universe had some hidden depth to it after all. Very glad I stuck with it. Very Happy

I still remember when I saw show's first episode set when it came out (not its pilot one) I figured this would be a nice and sweet Sailor-Moon-styled cartoon that I'd be alright with catching up on every few weeks, but nothing really bigger than that.

When the "Frybo" episode hit air, it took me by surprise how creepy the show could get and I was/am definitely on board with shows that dabble with creepy/body horror every now and then. Then I thought the show would go back to that "sweet and cute" tone with "Cat Fingers". With an adorable sounding title, how could it not be? Yeah, that was when I started to sit up and pay attention to the show.

It wasn't until "Tiger Millionaire" and "Giant Woman" that I knew I'd be with this show for the long haul and I'm so glad the show has been continually stellar this far into its run (and with the latest episode in particular).
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:

LOL Spirited Away still had more viewers, yen was stronger back then. Where's the source for the spongebob stuff?
Has more viewers than Shin chan and stuff like that? doubt it

Yoh Yoshinari is a big fan of cartoons and he has an influence in Hori animation, I bet he made him a fan. There are some anime fans in the staff of this show also, they already did a homage to Utena in one episode.

A Disney animator did a test for an anime studio and failed because couldn't do layouts or clean his own animation to save his life. CalArts guys are too snob for anime and brainwashed to a process that doesn't work in the real world for tv, so they are still waiting for a miracle to happen and someday be able to animate their own shows.

Poor guys will be waiting for ever. I guess schools in France are more open minded when they even had people like Yasuo Otsuka giving a Masterclass.

Shin-chan has way more than 1.9 million viewers or households watching.

But as for Spongebob
https://web.archive.org/web/20090405192838/http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/01/24/entertainment/e091755S47.DTL

As for the animation thing, of course Disney animators can't do TV animation. That's pretty obvious.

Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
[

Usually the reason western cartoons get Japanese guest animators or have Japanese company to animate their show is because they're huge anime fans or they're trying to get some kind of street cred. Shows like Korra, Boondocks, and Steven Universe try to build themselves as anime or at least try to insert themselves into the anime community so it makes sense why they would do these kinds of things to be more 'authentic'.

-Stuart Smith

The part about a lot of these creators getting Japanese guest animators for their shows because their anime fans is certainly true, but I have no idea where on earth you're getting this "street cred" thing from and it just sounds like biased nonsense to me. First off the shows you mentioned are far from the only "anime-imitators" to exist, and there have been more than a few others that dropped off by the wayside over the years. The those shows stuck out is, *shock* they were the best written/ambitious of the bunch(well in Korra's case it was the sequel to a well written show but I digress) and caught traction for that reason rather than simply because "they looked like anime" (which is particularly ridiculous in SU's case as the show didn't even adopt a more "anime-esque" artstyle until it's second season, and even then it still looks more like Western animation than the usual homage shows you're comparing it to. Not to mention that some of the cases where these guest animators were used were for shows that weren't trying to appeal to the "anime" crowd to begin with, so the idea that they'd suddenly try to lure anime fans into watching them is frankly, silly.

Secondly it implies that these animators are doing guest work in these shows solely to get a paycheck or whatever, and that they otherwise have no interest in these shows , which by this example alone is already proven false considering Takafumi Hori has long since shown himself to be a fan of the show. It's certainly true that there isn't a giant sub-culture for western animation in Japan the same way there's one for anime in the west, but it doesn't mean that Japanese creatives aren't paying attention to these works at all or have no respect for them (they certainly still pay a lot of attention to Disney after all). You're free to dislike this stuff if you want but you don't need to make up false ideas about creators on either side of the ocean to prove your point
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Alright folks, let's keep it civil and watch all the massive excessive quoting please. Thank you.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
I'm not so sure about that, America gets more anime than Europe does, I hear that is quite a complaint I hear from non american anime fans saying how the anime available to them is not very good. .

Anime and manga have been a part of French culture a lot longer than it has been a part of American culture. And while I don't have anime sales numbers, France is the second biggest market for manga after Japan, despite being only 20% of the population of America. Comic books and manga just don't do well here. You can look up sales numbers on http://www.acbd.fr/category/les-bilans-de-l-acbd/

Divineking wrote:

The part about a lot of these creators getting Japanese guest animators for their shows because their anime fans is certainly true, but I have no idea where on earth you're getting this "street cred" thing from and it just sounds like biased nonsense to me. First off the shows you mentioned are far from the only "anime-imitators" to exist, and there have been more than a few others that dropped off by the wayside over the years. The those shows stuck out is, *shock* they were the best written/ambitious of the bunch(well in Korra's case it was the sequel to a well written show but I digress) and caught traction for that reason rather than simply because "they looked like anime"

I didn't say anything about the shows sticking out, I was talking about shows which hired Japanese studios to work on them. Those just happen to be the ones. Perhaps street cred wasn't the best phrase to use, but I'm not sure what else you can make of it if you specifically aim for Japanese studios to work on your show rather than domestic ones. Either you find them to be better or you specifically want a Japanese hand in production. Some creators are forward enough to call their works anime/manga so it's hard to misinterprete that. Steven Universe does not look like anime, but it is still filled to the brim with references and rip offs. So it shouldn't be surprising they would get a Japanese artist to work on the segment.

Quote:
Secondly it implies that these animators are doing guest work in these shows solely to get a paycheck or whatever, and that they otherwise have no interest in these shows , which by this example alone is already proven false considering Takafumi Hori has long since shown himself to be a fan of the show. It's certainly true that there isn't a giant sub-culture for western animation in Japan the same way there's one for anime in the west, but it doesn't mean that Japanese creatives aren't paying attention to these works at all or have no respect for them (they certainly still pay a lot of attention to Disney after all). You're free to dislike this stuff if you want but you don't need to make up false ideas about creators on either side of the ocean to prove your point
In this specific case it may not be entirely true, but in most cases it is. Especially when you're talking about shows which haven't even aired yet and had a chance to gain fans anywhere. Studio Pierrot putting their C team on Korra doesn't exactly suggust fondness of the title. It's worth keeping in mind most of these creators are from the same Studio Trigger/Gainax alumni, so it's A pretty focused group of people we're talking about here.

-Stuart Smith
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
SU isn't ripping off anime its paying homage to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4