• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do Animax Asia's English Dubs Come From?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
When I first heard that Card Capturer Sakura was getting released uncut I was excited until I found out that the release would have the Animax dub which is the very reason why I didn't get CCS. Evil or Very Mad
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
Before Sentai got the license to K-ON!, I watched the Animax dub of it. It wasn't great, but I actually liked the voice for Yui better in the Animax version. Stephine Sheh just never seemed right as Yui to me. Also the funny thing was that it was obvious they only had maybe 10 different voice actors to do ALL the voices. Plenty of background characters that had lines sounded exactly like the main voice cast. Not even a slight voice change, they sounded exactly the same.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Do they actually use all native speakers or expats? I checked out some animax TV rips out of curiosity and I could've sworn I heard some Filipino, Singlish, etc accents in some characters.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
Beefy wrote:
Back when DiC only had about 12 episodes of Sailor Moon on VHS, I imported 8 video CDs of Sailor Moon R that had the Malaysian English dub. I only made it through about two episodes before I couldn't take any more.

If anyone complains about the DiC or even the Viz dub, go watch that other dub. The North American dubs won't seem so bad after that.
I didn't know there was even a Malaysian English dub of Sailor Moon before this post. Now I'm very curious about it. What is this alternative English dub of it like?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Do they actually use all native speakers or expats? I checked out some animax TV rips out of curiosity and I could've sworn I heard some Filipino, Singlish, etc accents in some characters.

Animax Asia's Digimon dub was done in the Philippines, IIRC. The voice actors in that one usually do Tagalog dubs, though. From what I've heard the more recent Animax dubs done in the Philippines usually cast people who speak English (like FM radio DJs), but may not have any previous acting experience. Just going by ear, Animax's dubs of Fairy Tail and the more recent Hayate the Combat Butler series were done here. I think the people here who can actually act in English are busy with stage plays.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
Emma: A Victorian Romance has an Animax English dub as well. I wish I could hear some clips to see how it sounds and if they used any British accents.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Emma: A Victorian Romance has an Animax English dub as well. I wish I could hear some clips to see how it sounds and if they used any British accents.

About half the cast had British accents. Emma not included.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Their Cardcaptor Sakura dub is garbage.

I agree. I strongly believe that there will be a brand new English-language dub of Cardcaptor Sakura.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
What I meant was that Animax Asia dubs stick to the script of the JP versions. Not to say that NA dubs don't, but Animax dubs have always been focused on accuracy. Their FMA dub cannot hope in hell to compete with the Funi dub, but it has a tighter script.

The problem with Funi dubs is the liberalism. English dubs should be conservative to a point. Words matter.

Honestly, not even Animaze was as literal as Animax.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, people read a lot more into what I wrote than what I actually meant to say.

First, I don't think every Funimation dub is bad. I like quite a few of Funi's dubs. Fairy Tail I just find to be an extremely poor effort on Funi's part. So much so that as much as I like dubs I can't tolerate to even watch that one. Which to me is worse than some of those Odex dubs from Geneon and Bandai. With the exception of Dan-Doh, I would still prefer to watch those shows dubbed.

Second, what I meant by my last comment was that I don't have to miss shows that don't get dubbed anymore. It was never meant as a dub vs sub debate starter. I still prefer to watch dubs. It is just a shame that some people who can't or don't watch subs have to miss out on some quality anime that never gets dubbed. Sorry if it sounded like I meant something else.

Last edited by Taskforce on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote

No need to apologize; my main concern was that with those two piling on top of you that that the conversation would degenerate into a free-for-all with supporters and detractors coming out of the woodwork.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
As someone who has watched Animax Asia for years and seen some of their dubs, here are my views on the whole thing. There are 5 or 6 studios that does English dubs for Animax Asia and unfortunately i can't find these studio names for most of them so i'll just give them nicknames.

First, is the regular studio that does most of Animax Asia's english dub. This studio appears to based in Hong Kong and use American and British voice actors. Almost all of the english dub animes that Animax Asia shows (except some few from North America) comes from this studio which includes Card Captor Sakura, Maria Watches Over Us, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragonball, Gun x Sword, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Angel Links, Galaxy Angels(the 3rd and 4th season), SoltyRei, Black Cat and others that i can remember. Their dubs can be average to good with CCR being one of their good one. Despite this, the studio has done dubs that remains truthful to the original Japanese script(Sgt. Frog and Ghost Stories) and dub show that were never dubbed in the US(I'm Gonna Be An Angel!, Chibi Maruko-chan, Maria Watches Over Us, Monkey Typhoon, DT Eightron, Gakuen Alice).

While many complain about the quality of regular studio's dubs for Animax Asia, they also agree it's better than another studio who did dubs for Animax Asia which were much worse. This Worse studio(which i will nickname) had very bad dubbing with most of the actors being very monotone and little to no feeling in it compare to Animax's Asia regular studio whose actors did. Two animes that i know they did were Ninku, Fushigi Yugi and Flame of Recca.

And then there these two other studios that also did dubs for Animax Asia. One studio had a decent dub which dubbed Gokusen and Hungry Heart. And a newer studio dubbing B-Daman Crossfire i believe and Cardfight Vanguard.

But in my opinion, the better dubs that were aired on Animax Asia were done by this Hong Kong studio, Red Angel Media. Red Angel Media uses expats but their dubs were great with some of the animes they did includes Hayate the Combat Butler(which the talented Candice Moore voiced Maria), The Story of Saiunkoku, Darker than Black, Hellsing Ultimate, Fairy Tail, Black Butler, Tears To Tiara and Pretty Rhythm.

And finally there are Sony backed dubs, dubs owned by Sony and done by studios in the US. Two of these dubs were Nodame Cantabile (1st season only) and Blood+.

If you have any questions about these dubs, i'll try my best to answer them.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the Animax Cardfight Vanguard dub was from The Ocean Group in Canada, which has been around for quite a long time and dubbed many US releases.
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ah, English dubs produced in Asian countries. Animax is actually near the high tier believe it or not. I recall watching Macross: Do You Remember Love? with an English dub produced in Japan (the full movie, not Clash of the Bionoids) and oh my goodness even as a huge fan of DYRL I could not stop giggling and laughing at practically every line. Really wish I could find another copy/video.

DYRL was dubbed by Omni Productions, the (infamous) company also behind the English dubs of the Japanese 1980s Transformers series that followed on from the original U.S. show. Omni did a whole bunch of anime movie dubs back in the 1980s, including Techno Police, Locke the Superman, Gall Force: Eternal Story, Dallos (compilation version) and Leda.

I'm always impressed when dubs such as the Omni movie dubs are preserved, regardless of their quality. Discotek included the Omni dub on their Locke DVD, and before that CPM included the Omni dub of Gall Force as a bonus audio track on the second release of the movie, despite it already having another more then-recent and competent dub from CPM themselves!

Regarding Animax dubs, I've always thought it something of a shame that their unique English dubs of material which otherwise will never be dubbed tend to fall into obscurity and don't get preserved outside of TV broadcasts. Cardcaptor Sakura aside, I'm particularly interested in the dubs to older series such as Future Boy Conan, Gundam ZZ, Urusei Yatsura, and several World Masterpiece productions.

That a famous Miyazaki series such as Conan has a complete English dub available for it, but still no U.S. distribution of any kind of date is kind of astonishing. And the Gundam ZZ's omission from Right Stuf's recent release of the series is quite interesting too, especially since their release of Build Fighters does include an Animax dub. Have the ZZ dub materials been lost, was it too much trouble to include them on a technical basis, were Right Stuf instructed not to include them (this happened on the U.S. DVD release of the Japanese Transformers series), or was there simply not enough awareness of the dubs from any party involved in the release?

I think aside from ZZ, my personal holy grail of these obscure dubs to be preserved would be Urusei Yatsura. The very idea that someone was tasked to dub this particular series into English has always fascinated me. It really shouldn't work at all, but then again "Ramu" managed to be pretty popular in Italy. No one even knows for certain, but I really doubt they ever managed to dub the entire series; probably some multiple of 13, such as 52 episodes.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Taskforce wrote:
Everyone remember the Karin dub from Geneon. That was one of those great Odex jobs from the time period close to Geneon closing their doors. Shounen Onmyouji and Zipang as well. And as bad as those dubs were, they sound wonderful compared to Dan-doh (also by Odex.)

At least there were some tolerable performances in Karin and Zipang. Their dubs are still a mile above the ear-bleeding awfulness that are the Fantastic Children and Green Green dubs.

Ah Arvintel, for all the crap that we give Media Blasters (for good reasons), thankfully they're not using THAT studio anymore for their current dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6