• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Go No Longer Top-Grossing App in U.S. iPhone Store

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

From business view, this is really a bad news. Normally company want their products to stay top and steady all of time. Not keep losing more players every day. And your thinking is lack of common sense. Its like saying Sony is still doing well(cough Vita cough) while the video game console interest is slowly dropping.

"Hey, lets stop trying hard since we sold PS4s more than 40 millions unit and lets make an updated PS4 with minor changes."

Oh wait. Sony actually did this. And seems like Niantic is a new Sony. Not trying hard with major updates to gain back players to play Pokemon Go.

Not comparable at all.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
How about everyone and their PhD in business and finance keep it civil please. Thanks.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
While Pokemon Go is by all measures quite successful, I still think it could have done even better if Niantic wasn't fumbling with it, removing features, failing to fix bugs. 74 days as a top grosser is pretty good, but with the ridiculous number of people playing and paying initially, it should have kept going as number one for much longer. Or maybe they don't really care, because they're already rolling in cash.

There's also how Pokémon GO is incredibly incomplete, to the extent that even someone who's never played a Pokémon game before can tell. It's also nothing but grinding. Together, they create a level of accessibility that can create big peaks like this game did, but at the same time, people won't be playing it for long.

It's also the nature of the mobile market to move at breakneck speeds. Games are either free or cost no more than US$5, and most don't really offer much depth. There are exceptions, of course, like Skullgirls Mobile, but those aren't aimed at the normal mobile audiences. In addition, the ease of which someone can create a mobile game means hundreds, if not thousands, of new games pop up every day. I'd say 74 days at the top is incredible for such a competitive field.

As long as Pokémon GO remains on the app stores though, it will continue to sell. The Pokémon brand name is very powerful, and even if people nostalgic for the early days of Pokémon are dropping off, it will still get lots of kids. (Even though I personally believe that mobile games using a microtransaction model should have precautions if lots of little kids are playing it, because little kids, not having developed a sense of money, can become the biggest whales because they don't understand that their parents' money isn't infinite.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2