• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cobra The Animation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(You may notice that this is lifted from the film Total Recall.)

By which you mean, "you may notice that this is just like Total Recall, and thus lifted from Phillip K. Dick's We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, on which Total Recall was based." Cobra came before Total Recall.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Sword of the Stranger getting a re-release.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Shit, why is this the first I'm hearing Strike the Blood getting a disc release? I knew it was licensed for it but no other news.

Thank God for this column.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Shit, why is this the first I'm hearing Strike the Blood getting a disc release? I knew it was licensed for it but no other news.

I only knew about it because I was scrolling through titles for pre-order on Right Stuf. My reaction was pretty similar in that it seemed like the release was coming out of nowhere.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Aww I want dat Doraemon. Impressive shelves.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Nice to see Sword of the Stranger getting a re-release.

I have been waiting for this. I bought the dvd version back in 2009 when Bandai originally released it. Of course this was before I could afford a blu-ray player and with the old blu-ray out of print(Obviously) and expensive I am more than happy to buy this version.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And do I spy the Anime News Nina book in one of those photos? Awesome!

I must have forgotten that Robin released a print version of the Anime News Nina strips! It can only be wondered how many copies exist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I must have forgotten that Robin released a print version of the Anime News Nina strips! It can only be wondered how many copies exist.

Acording to the kickstarter page the original objective was to print 500 copies at least. So I think the number is close to that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

I only knew about it because I was scrolling through titles for pre-order on Right Stuf. My reaction was pretty similar in that it seemed like the release was coming out of nowhere.

I was very aware of this release because of the other anime sites I frequent. IIRC Discotek was originally only releasing Strike the Blood on DVD, but fans' demand made them add BD as well. I have noticed that ANN mews is usually not on top of releases of not high profile shows.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Bad place to store all that anime. Even with that stove fan, all your anime is going to be covered in hard to clean kitchen grime and grease. Just finished cleaning my kitchen clock after the 'fall back' time change. Clock wasn't even above the stove. If you have no choice in your storage options, cover it all in a plastic covering.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
This week's shelves were really impressive! Can't wait to move into my own place and display everything proudly like that~
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Overlord: Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Looking forward to the English dub. :D

Shining Tears X Wind:

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be available from any of the usual streaming sites but hey, at least now it's out on disc.

It used to be available to watch online years ago, but of course fansubbed at the time. Disappointed that they didn't dub this one since we did get Shining Tears in English...and yet they dubbed Shining Hearts: Bread of Happiness, which comes from a game we didn't even get. At least we could have heard the Shining Wind cast with English voices for the first time since we didn't get that game either, but I guess they thought it was easier to just slap some subs on and send it out. Just further proves the series as dead as a graveyard here (and Japan keeps burying it further with their "choose your waifu" nonsense they keep injecting into further entries; they don't even seem to know what Shining was originally about anymore).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
@belvadeer

The Shining series is all about selling some really well done figures and beautiful art books. All else is secondary. Wink
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
It used to be available to watch online years ago, but of course fansubbed at the time. Disappointed that they didn't dub this one since we did get Shining Tears in English...and yet they dubbed Shining Hearts: Bread of Happiness, which comes from a game we didn't even get. At least we could have heard the Shining Wind cast with English voices for the first time since we didn't get that game either, but I guess they thought it was easier to just slap some subs on and send it out. Just further proves the series as dead as a graveyard here (and Japan keeps burying it further with their "choose your waifu" nonsense they keep injecting into further entries; they don't even seem to know what Shining was originally about anymore).

Here is where using a collective "they" completely ruins any argument someone tries to have.

Shining Wind X Tears is released by Discotek Media's Eastern Star label, a company that (aside from Lupin: Jigen's Gravestone [& some slight money towards Lupin Part IV]) has never produced an original dub for its own releases. Shining Hearts: Bread of Happiness, on the other hand, was released by Sentai FIlmworks, a company that (more often than not) produces original dubs for its own releases.

"They" doesn't exist, so to blame "they" for doing one thing for [A] but then not doing it again for [B] makes no sense whatsoever, because "they" is in reality two completely different companies with two [mostly] completely different business directions. The only "they" that works is the last use of it, since that one was relating to Sega as a group of divisions. It's especially silly, though, to go with "they" here, because Shelf Life even lists which company is releasing which product for each week, so the info's there.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Here is where using a collective "they" completely ruins any argument someone tries to have.

Shining Wind X Tears is released by Discotek Media's Eastern Star label, a company that (aside from Lupin: Jigen's Gravestone [& some slight money towards Lupin Part IV]) has never produced an original dub for its own releases. Shining Hearts: Bread of Happiness, on the other hand, was released by Sentai FIlmworks, a company that (more often than not) produces original dubs for its own releases.

"They" doesn't exist, so to blame "they" for doing one thing for [A] but then not doing it again for makes no sense whatsoever, because "they" is in reality two completely different companies with two [mostly] completely different business directions. The only "they" that works is the last use of it, since that one was relating to Sega as a group of divisions. It's especially silly, though, to go with "they" here, because Shelf Life even lists which company is releasing which product for each week, so the info's there.

Yeah I should have put the companies' names in. That was my bad. When I was saying "they", I was thinking of a collective group who decides what should be dubbed and by whom here. I know Eastern Star doesn't make dubs because they don't have the staff for that. All I'm saying is that Shining Tears X Wind should have had a dub, at least to partially coincide with the fact that Shining Tears was localized years ago.

Alan45 wrote:
@belvadeer

The Shining series is all about selling some really well done figures and beautiful art books. All else is secondary. Wink

Unfortunately, this is indeed the case with how it is now. I miss when the series was about actual strategy and unique casts of characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1