• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus USA Delays Persona 5 to April 4, Adds Japanese Voice-Over DLC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
...and will be replaced by people complaining how they have to wait 2 extra months because of "teh weebs."

As much as I would love to have the dub whiners/haters to blame this on, does the delay even have anything to do with them adding dual audio? Because it does not sound like that is the case.

Seems like it's just Altus dropping the release ball again. Having to wait until February was bad enough, it's just getting disappointing at this point.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed to see the game delayed. Separately, the dual audio is nice to see.

Bloodgod wrote:
DRWii wrote:
...and will be replaced by people complaining how they have to wait 2 extra months because of "teh weebs."

As much as I would love to have the dub whiners/haters to blame this on, does the delay even have anything to do with them adding dual audio? Because it does not sound like that is the case.

Seems like it's just Altus dropping the release ball again. Having to wait until February was bad enough, it's just getting disappointing at this point.

No, they've said it is primarily to improve the localization, so the japanese audio has no affect on it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess I have more time to buy a PS4 now...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Bloodgod wrote:

Honestly, I think it's more likely they're taking some of the criticism from the localization for "SMT4A" and are just giving themselves more time to get it right. You know, like making sure Atlus JP actually sent all the text that needed to be translated this time...

And to be clear, I wasn't blaming it on people who demanded dual audio, because I almost always choose the Japanese track when given the option. I was just commenting on how there's seemingly always whining in comment sections and forum threads these days, and since I'd already seen comments along the lines of "thanks a lot weebs!" before this was even posted to ANN, I was just predicting that to be the next "thing."

Last edited by DRWii on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
There is also Ryuji Sakamoto that they were pronouncing the last name of weirdly in the dub trailers, so hopefully they are going to take another look at stuff like that too. Dub fans want this stuff to be done correctly too....

Last edited by Bloodgod on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JDude042

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Thanks a lot, weeaboos. That's another two months I have to spend dodging spoilers because you whiners didn't like the dub before you even listened to it.

Screw this. This game is a lost cause. By the time this game comes out, I'll probably have already learned the plot from pages that didn't give spoiler warnings. Atlus has really been pushing their luck since the 12th "Persona 4" spin-off.

You know, maybe some people just want to enjoy the game with the Japanese audio, but may not be able to read Japanese, and thus wanted this option. Maybe for those people, it doesn't have anything to do with being grateful about an English dub. Sounds like your complaining is a bit much in my opinion. I'm guessing you must have been really looking forward to the game if another two months is getting you this riled up. I don't know what parts of the internet you're browsing, but I doubt it's that much of a chore to avoid whatever you're surfing through that is littered with these supposed spoilers you're bringing up.

Mind you, I'm not even a fan of this series. I've just never really gotten into it, but finally getting a Japanese audio option in these games is a step in the right direction if I do say so myself.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

No, they've said it is primarily to improve the localization, so the japanese audio has no affect on it.

As long as they aren't doing NoA's "Improved" Localization or is bending to the Social justice warriors to change dialogue and/or cutscenes because they didn't like it.

But really. Why the need to improve the Localization out of nowhere. Why give an actual month and day if they were just going to push it back.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
You know, like making sure Atlus JP actually sent all the text that needed to be translated this time...

Wait, that actually happened? I now wonder how much of the crap that the American side gets blamed for is actually the fault of the Japanese side.
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
Nice, so they will finally stop complaining...

No, they'll find something new to complain about, like: why isn't it only Japanese audio with English audio as dlc or they changed too much of the script in localization. there will always be something for them to complain about.

I just hope that including the new audio track doesn't cause further delay.

In fact it's pretty obvious that the delay is because
1-Their Voice Actors are shit and can't even pronounce the name of their characters as we've seen
2-ATLUS USA couldn't keep up with the deadline to localize the game
3-They don't want to be in the same quarter as FFXV both being long JRPGs and FF being much more popular of course

[Edit]: deleted personal insult. Keep it nice. Errinundra.
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Thanks a lot, weeaboos. That's another two months I have to spend dodging spoilers because you whiners didn't like the dub before you even listened to it.

Screw this. This game is a lost cause. By the time this game comes out, I'll probably have already learned the plot from pages that didn't give spoiler warnings. Atlus has really been pushing their luck since the 12th "Persona 4" spin-off.

I play japanese anime games where you're a japanese highschooler that fights demons and does chunnibyo shit while having several japanese waifus but with voices in english! I am totally NOT a weeaboo!!
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
DRWii wrote:
You know, like making sure Atlus JP actually sent all the text that needed to be translated this time...

Wait, that actually happened? I now wonder how much of the crap that the American side gets blamed for is actually the fault of the Japanese side.

No, it was them just being incompetent as usual
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Bloodgod wrote:
There is also Ryuji Sakamoto that they were pronouncing the last name of weirdly in the dub trailers, so hopefully they are going to take another look at stuff like that too. Dub fans want this stuff to be done correctly too....

Ummmmm no we don't some of us just want the game regardless of whether someone's name is pronounced properly or not in english.

DRWii wrote:

Honestly, I think it's more likely they're taking some of the criticism from the localization for "SMT4A" and are just giving themselves more time to get it right. You know, like making sure Atlus JP actually sent all the text that needed to be translated this time...

I'm curious about the story surrounding this.
Vannil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
You're dumb, the japanese audio is already in the game, in fact it's pretty obvious that the delay is because
Ad Hominem, try again. also in this situation the Japanese audio is removed as it would be considered a secondary track to the english track and it also has to be timed and play tested to check for errors during gameplay (i.e. make sure the audio works properly, won't cause other unforseen errors during game play )

#825565 wrote:
1-Their Voice Actors are shit and can't even pronounce the name of their characters as we've seen
Half true: it can be difficult to pronounce names when it is not in a language familiar with. However, it is your opinion in determining the quality(or lack there of) of their (Atlus) contracted voice actors as it has almost always been a non- complaint in many of their releases.

#825565 wrote:
2-ATLUS USA couldn't keep up with the deadline to localize the game
I would rather it be delayed than full of bugs, localization errors, or other problems that we see in many games released in recent history. Also, they have released a few games, such as the persona fighting games, in close proximation of the japanese release

#825565 wrote:
3-They don't want to be in the same quarter as FFXV both being long JRPGs and FF being much more popular of course
Persona 5 is a niche title and would still compete with the other niche titles being released around that time such as: the Zero Escape compilation, Danganronpa compilation, God Wars: Future Past, and Akiba's Beat, to name a few
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Wait, that actually happened?

In the case of "Apocalypse," at least. One of the final bosses in the game talks to you under certain conditions, and both of the player's possible responses were still in Japanese (there were apparently a few more cases of Japanese text slipping in, but this was the most notable one). In a discussion on an episode of the Random Encounter podcast, Chris Holzworth (Lead Editor for the English localization) said that particular line wasn't in the script file they edited, so they had no idea it existed. Which certainly sounds like "the Japanese branch didn't tell us every possible bit of text they wrote" to me.

That wasn't the only localization issue, though. There were times where a line break was screwed up and text went off the side of the screen, and there were typos as well (I usually don't remember those kind of things, so I can't think of any first-hand examples). Not to mention it being somewhat prone to crashing (happened to me 2 or 3 times), and of course the occasionally awkward use of slang (Nozomi calling the protagonist "Homeslice").

So yeah, if the extra 2 months on "P5" is to help try and prevent all that, I'm fine with it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
and of course the occasionally awkward use of slang (Nozomi calling the protagonist "Homeslice").

Eh no more awkward then having all the characters speak in english in a game whose setting is based in dystopian version of Tokyo Japan besieged by mythical creatures and deities from both east and western folklore and religions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5