• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Calls AI CG Animation 'An Insult to Life Itself'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Jeez Even im horrified by that motion CG animation like is that really how its done....The things of my NIGHTMARES!
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
CG is only good on a Sunrise/A-1 budget otherwise it's bad heck even on a high budget, it can be bad (Precure Movies with it's unbelievably uncanny valley CG, are they trying to scare kids instead of getting kids into the theater)..
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
That thing's movements looked like it was straight out of Silent Hill or something.

This tech would be great for horror games or a CG horror anime. But that's about it. It has a niche purpose.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I saw this on 4chan it was a pretty brutal takedown but also seems kind of odd that Miyazaki keeps agreeing to this sort of thing for a guy who supposedly went into semi-retirement. You don't see Isao Takahata doing this sort of thing but than he's 81
otagirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
So typical for a closed minded old man to criticize what he doesn't understand. Clearly, someone like him who doesn't even own a computer would never have played a horror game or understand what this technology can develop into.

To look at something like this and compare it to a friend with a disability is quite frankly disgusting and says something about his own mind rather than the experimentalists who created the program.

Someone who creates a program like that doesn't know what pain is? How rude and presumptuous can one be? I've never understood why this man is so highly regarded in the industry, I don't even think any of his works are particularly outstanding, yet he constantly belittles and disrespects the work and efforts of others.

I hope he disappears soon.
TheAngryOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
He has just become another cog in the wheel of curmudgeonry which has stagnated Japan for so long. He can not see the potential value, he can only see how to compare it to what was relevant when he was the age of the presenter... and he doesn't even realize it. Innovation in Japan is dead and it is the fault of people like Miyazaki. It doesn't matter what they have done or even what they can do in the future, they are taking this sentimentality directly into the boardroom, when it belongs strictly on the the golf-course.

Last edited by TheAngryOtaku on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
He's absolutely right. People are becoming lazy by wanting machines to do work for them instead of appreciating the hard work they put forth into something. CGI animation is an example of how lazy people have gotten. It's sad to see that hand drawn animation is a dying art. Heck, I'm sure if Walt Disney saw what has become of animation today, he'd take action and go back to how cartoons should be, HAND DRAWN.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
That was funny! Rarely you see sales pitch fall THIS flat, poor Kawakami-san has a face of a man wishing he was never born... But he deserved all that, selling zombie movies to Miyazaki, what the he11, do a bit of research before you meet people.

But the old grumpy guy was right. Automated CGI tools can draw whatever, also stuff which is morally, ethically or socially repulsive. And he clearly took the video as an insult to disabled people who are forced to move in creepy-looking ways due to their condition.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Hayao Miyazaki never said "Anime was a mistake". The creator of the meme confirmed that himself. That's the power of the internet I guess, overly common misattribution.

The word of the year is post-truth. The only thing that matters is what you want to believe to be true, and the internet is the perfect tool for creating an environment where you only hear what you want to hear.

"Anime was a mistake."
- Hayao Miyazaki
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
He's absolutely right. People are becoming lazy by wanting machines to do work for them instead of appreciating the hard work they put forth into something. CGI animation is an example of how lazy people have gotten.

I would argue it's more corporate greed and their saving money over animators being lazy. You're talking about a group of severely underpaid and overworked people.
JDude042

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Honestly when I read the article, I had the mindset that the video was just "Hayao Miyazaki acts like a grumpy old man and complains about everything" but after watching the video I gotta agree with him actually. That animation seemed utterly pointless and gross to look at, and while it would be nice to create an AI that could do animation on its own, you're also killing creative talent by doing so and putting out and shutting off a lot of people from working in that industry. It would probably be better to address the poor and stressful work conditions that animators and manga artists have to deal with on a daily basis in my opinion.
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Yeah, I mean, I agree with him. That looked like shit. And was certainly not anything impressive or worth showing to the guy. Plus, he's made enough great stuff in his days that he can say whatever the heck he wants. I feel like more Japanese people probably should!

They were doing an experiment so it's not a finished product, just a proof of concept. His response wasn't even constructive either, it was just kneejerk reaction aimed at insulting the presentation because he can get away with it.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I think one can vehemently disagree with Miyazaki's personal views while still respecting the work that he's made. Too many times in this fandom anime fans have this polarized view of Miyazaki where you have to have this unflinching adoration of him and it's a blasphemy to say anything negative about him. On the other hand, you have fans who despise Miyazaki the man so much that they can't even bring themselves to say one positive thing about his movies and they'll completely write off all of his filmography because of their ideological differences with him. I think either outright hatred or outright idolization of Miyazaki isn't healthy for anime fandom and we need to take a more nuanced view of Miyazaki's legacy. Having said that, given how well known Miyazaki's hatred of CGI is, I'm not sure why anyone would show him this barely finished project to try and change his mind on CGI. They should have at least showed him a finished product for him to be able to fairly judge it. On the other hand, I think Miyazaki is being entirely unreasonable in completely writing off any project like this based on this very short barely started work. I'm also not sure why Miyazaki brought up the point about his disabled friend but it was entirely awkward and frankly rather offensive of him to try and use the troubles disabled people go through to insult somebody' else's work. And you can just tell how much everyone in this room is now despising Miyazaki after his reaction to them.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This was a bit misleading. He didn't call the technology, the AI itself, "an insult to life itself, but rather the product they created with it which was basically broken monsters crawling around on the ground like severely disabled people. He's still wrong though. It's all in context. They clearly were not insulting disabled people, which he seems to suggest. He's being a SWJ lol. There's a massive difference in creating monsters that don't even look human, and insulting disabled people. I have some physical disabilities and don't find monsters insulting at all.

To be fair though, I think the best monsters are those that DO look real and follow laws of physics. The more real something is, the scarier it is.

As for AI animation itself......like everything else in the world, it's just an inevitability. He's "lucky" he won't be alive to see it become a norm, I guess. Yes it will kill jobs. As will automated fast food restaurants and automated everything else...but that's "utopia". When humans don't have to do anything but can still survive, we can all enjoy our lives in peace. People can create human-made animations even when that happens, even if the industry itself doesn't. This isn't about being "lazy" either. Honestly it's mostly about money. Paying people is too expensive because you have to pay them enough so they can survive (lol) or they'll quit. The industry would love AI animators that they don't have to pay (well, I assume it will have a license fee) as much. It's always about money in the end.
taishou*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
He's absolutely right. People are becoming lazy by wanting machines to do work for them instead of appreciating the hard work they put forth into something. CGI animation is an example of how lazy people have gotten. It's sad to see that hand drawn animation is a dying art. Heck, I'm sure if Walt Disney saw what has become of animation today, he'd take action and go back to how cartoons should be, HAND DRAWN.

That's so ignorant it's almost funny. I guess animators should slave away for low wages and terrible hours just to please you? Because that's the state of 2D animation right now.
Nobody's advocating for AI to replace humans in terms of animation. It's more of an experiment to prove something can indeed be done.
Calling it lazy is an insult to people who spend hundreds of hours rigging/coding/modeling for computer animations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6