• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seiyu's Life! Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
While it didn't seem all that promising when it started, it was a worthwhile watch that I followed as it aired. The VA cameos were nice and that concert performance was well done, which seems to have been carried over to Gonzo's current project, Akiba's Trip, which had a similarly well done concert performance in the most recent episode (better than any in Idol Incidents which I don't know which production that says more about). It wasn't Shirobako for seiyuu but it was a nice look into the industry with relatable enough characters. It's nice to see this work hinted at in their current project and the VA unit formed for this show doing the opening (and at least on of the EDs).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The similarities to Akiba's Trip may come down mostly to the fact that both it & Seiyu's Life are directed by Hiroshi Ikehata, a former GIF animation who went on to become an apparently notorious episode director due to his wild visual style.

I'm partly interested in Seiyu's Life due to the fact that Ikehata directed it, because I really enjoyed his prior two directorial works before it (Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai-hen & Robot Girls Z; haven't seen RGZ+ yet), so the fact that it's a good show definitely helps. I'll be getting FUNi's DVD set for this show eventually, no doubt. Sadly, though, I have no interest in Akiba's Trip, even with Ikehata directing it. Would love to see him in charge of another action-focused series, like RnK1 was, because he has a really good panache for it.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If Yui Horie's portrayal here is to be believed, then the dazzling look she has on stage is utterly incongruous with how dumpy she dresses once out of the spotlight.

The bit about Horie's purse was spot on at least... Pictures of the purse were posted both on her twitter and on Asano's twitter shortly after the ep aired. Asano in particular spoke several times over the course of the season about how they worked with the individual seiyu to ensure their cameos were reasonably true-to-life.

Myself, I do qualify this as an overlooked gem... maybe lapis lazuli rather than diamond, but well worth watching none-the-less.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
The similarities to Akiba's Trip may come down mostly to the fact that both it & Seiyu's Life are directed by Hiroshi Ikehata, a former GIF animation who went on to become an apparently notorious episode director due to his wild visual style.

I'm partly interested in Seiyu's Life due to the fact that Ikehata directed it, because I really enjoyed his prior two directorial works before it (Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai-hen & Robot Girls Z; haven't seen RGZ+ yet), so the fact that it's a good show definitely helps. I'll be getting FUNi's DVD set for this show eventually, no doubt. Sadly, though, I have no interest in Akiba's Trip, even with Ikehata directing it. Would love to see him in charge of another action-focused series, like RnK1 was, because he has a really good panache for it.

Oh certainly Ikehata's directing is somewhat responsible for the similarities. Though it is probably best to credit the animators themselves, in the case of Seiyuu's performance Hisaya Kuwabara. While I'd want to see the credits for the episode, it's possible they were responsible for Akiba's as well
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Oh certainly Ikehata's directing is somewhat responsible for the similarities. Though it is probably best to credit the animators themselves, in the case of Seiyuu's performance Hisaya Kuwabara. While I'd want to see the credits for the episode, it's possible they were responsible for Akiba's as well

The Encyclopedia entries for the two shows do have some overlap. The character designers and art directors are different, but some of the episode directors, animation directors, and key animators from Seiyuu's Life already have their names attached to the first two episodes of Akiba's Trip, and I'd expect there will probably be more before it's over.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, Akiba's Trip pretty much feels like Sore ga Seiyuu spin-off about show that heroines are voicing, especially with all that constant references to the aforementioned series and really hard promotion of Earphones unit.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I like how Asano showed up as different characters in almost every episode and nobody recognized the similarities.

And it is a bit hilarious how detailed the fore- and backgrounds are, but the characters are so simplistic.

And the main cast has such unoriginal designs, they look like characters from different series.^^ Futaba looks like Nagato, (especially from the Nagato-chan series) and Rin looks like Erika from Heartcatch PreCure. And Ichigo looks like any pink-haired twintail chick.
Vannil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
i really enjoyed this series a lot when it was streaming. It is a nice hidden gem that deserves some credit.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I thought Seiyu's Life was ok even if the series was less seiyu life and more haphazardly formed idol unit life. My own feelings on the show can be easily summed up like this: My favorite episode was the one about the manager.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Seiyu’s Life was one I quite enjoyed more than I expected, with some issues being that it was not Shirobako which came out shortly before, that one could fear it was trying to copy success, but it was not bad, and it is worth watching. I would say it was overlooked. Yui Horie was certainly a Remembrall part. And I am quite fond of the OP, I thought it did great to show character personalities of the cast.

When I was watching the first episode of Akiba’s Trip I had the feeling it was reminding me of something. And when I saw the plushie dog I knew that was it, and spent way too long trying to remember what series it was when they pretty much gave it away soon afterwards. I am not even annoyed that there is so much Earphones in the show. Talking of similarities, I think the VA in AT also match the SL cast.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
While Futaba and Rin want to be successful voice actresses, Ichigo wants to be an idol singer. She dresses in pink and red a lot and calls herself "the princess from Planet Strawberry," at least only (she thinks) to herself, Futaba, and Rin.

My favorite line from the series is in an episode where Ichigo is reading a book for a book-on-CD. When she tries to read energetically so the performance isn't so bland, the director stops the take and says "I know you're the princess from Planet Strawberry, but today I need you to be an Earthling."

I'm not even slightly a fan of the idol/seiyu genre, but I enjoyed this show. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the idol/seiyu genre that I found this show watchable. I haven't even bothered with trying to watch Love Live! or Show by Rock!!. I gave up on Girlish Number after 2 episodes. But I watched all of this one and liked it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
I think that gonzo was choosen for this show, becuase the studio ahs a nice varied portfolio, so they were abel to properly animate all the fake anime they were voicing. unlike a show like girlish number that only used crude sketches, this one used good cuts for the fictional animes it showed.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I think that gonzo was choosen for this show, becuase the studio ahs a nice varied portfolio, so they were abel to properly animate all the fake anime they were voicing. unlike a show like girlish number that only used crude sketches, this one used good cuts for the fictional animes it showed.

To be fair, the cuts in Girlish Number were meant to illustrate how poor the execution was in the fictional show, while the ones in Seiyuu were meant to be executed well enough.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
While Futaba and Rin want to be successful voice actresses, Ichigo wants to be an idol singer. She dresses in pink and red a lot and calls herself "the princess from Planet Strawberry," at least only (she thinks) to herself, Futaba, and Rin.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. The thing is that being a seiyu and being an idol are not entirely divorced, with Japan the really big ones get by with creating a name for themselves as a brand, and can essentially act as idols at times to sell what they are in. Ichigo simply focused on that area like how an actor would have a stage name, if she really wanted to be an idol there would be other ways, but seemed clear that she liked acting too. She liked strawberries, her name means strawberry, people might remember her character when looking for applicants.

Futuba sort of had some diversity that she could do young boy roles, not always feminine roles, and she not really the most feminine person, so looking dependable was her preference. Rin, as young as she was taking it as an art, not really wanting to be distracted by other things, and she did it between school.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1