• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Big Of A Deal Is Crunchyroll Reaching A Million Subscribers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
You also have to remember Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, the proverbial big three, don't just license, they create. That's a whole different can of worms.

I don't think there is enough evidence to assume that those three companies are already "creating" anime content. Hulu is clearly only licensing. Amazon has a deal with Noitamina and recently launched Anime Strike and are beginning to license more stuff. Netflix can claim all they want that they have "original anime series", but they have acquired licenses of show that were already planned in Japan.

Like I said, those big companies might eventually bankroll full anime productions, but they don't seem to be at that stage yet. If there was already a third season of Sidonia I would think that Netflix had their hand on it. On the other hand, the Little Witch Academia tv series could indeed be funded by Netflix.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know the subscription numbers of sites like Funimation?
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
How many subscribers does funimation have?
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
heartlessangel65 wrote:
I'm hoping CR can get even more anime worldwide ex Asia Very Happy

I know they have TV Tokyo as Investors and they partnered with Sumitomo Corporation to co-produce anime and are co-producing Kadokawas future anime titles but some animes are still not available worldwide.

It's mostly the Japanese publisher isn't allowing them or it's licensed by another company but I hope that changes.

I hope so too! There are some anime series airing on NHK E-Tele that I really wanna see on Crunchyroll, such as Ojarumaru and Nintama Rantarou. However, NHK Enterprises seems really reluctant to license them out for streaming outside of Japan, which is most likely why Crunchyroll didn't bother picking up Omakase! Mamitasu back during the Spring 2015 anime season. Hopefully, Crunchyroll's amazing feat could help convince NHK Enterprises to license out more of their anime series to them.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Article feels pointless, awkward comparison of people who bought anime disc releases 20 years ago to people who could potentially subscribe to cr for a season and quit or just subscribe for oen month and quit.

Beyond that no concrete numbers and just speculation, 80mln may be a lot on paper but the company, for all we know could be barely breaking even or actually be losing money. Were the workers even given raises after this news? The companies lack of being involved in any fundraising efforts for american humanitarian projects speaks volumes of their lack of actually solid financial stability.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm going to save this answer as a text file then use it every time someone says "The Japanese anime industry doesn't give a crap about the rest of the world" on a forum.

How are you defining "doesn't give a crap about the rest of the world?" If you are defining it to mean, "Japan is more than happy to take license fees and royalties from around the world" then yes, the industry does give a crap. If you define it to mean, "the rest of the world has an impact on what kind of shows the Japanese anime industry chooses to make and how it chooses to make them" then, no, the Japanese anime industry continues to give no craps about the rest of the world.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Do you think getting anime series, before they air in Japan will help them. AKA Space Dandy
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
What's funny is the joke for those of who were around in the first few years that Crunchyroll existed as essentially being a paid to upload piracy locker site. It was literally the anime J-drama/K-drama locker version of Megaupload. Then one day someone dropped a boatload of money at their doorstep and nearly 95% of the content on the site was wiped out overnight; slowly regrowing to what we have today. Fansubbers of the time cried blood for weeks.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
What's funny is the joke for those of who were around in the first few years that Crunchyroll existed as essentially being a paid to upload piracy locker site. It was literally the anime J-drama/K-drama locker version of Megaupload. Then one day someone dropped a boatload of money at their doorstep and nearly 95% of the content on the site was wiped out overnight; slowly regrowing to what we have today. Fansubbers of the time cried blood for weeks.

As someone who prefers giving money to the actual creators, I love that Crunchyroll exists and that it is legal. Who cares about what pirate fansubbers think or feel.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

As someone who prefers giving money to the actual creators, I love that Crunchyroll exists and that it is legal. Who cares about what pirate fansubbers think or feel.

That's where they are, yes but not what they were. I don't care if they're legal now but they've been muscling out the people who do things I like in favor of becoming the world's fansubber.

I like animation, I don't like subs and I know enough Japanese to turn subs off. What's in CR for someone like me? Not a whole lot, mostly a lot of reading I guess. And as always, their four week wait for other licensors on other sites because after that time no one is watching it so Funny and Sentai and... well, there were a few others once but not any more.... they can have it after that. But no subs, Funni, because... I've always wondered about that one because at some point, they should show up? Forever and a day, huh?

As for Sentai, they have to get shows from CR + Funni. So sign me up for "unstoppable behemoth that's bad for anime". It'd be ok if it was all one company producing anime but soon things will start to change, shows as well as companies will start to sway with the wind that is CR... stuff that get the views will get more views if there's more of it and they'll get the money. The rest will get the shaft, just not that one.

Under the years of pirate rules, two or three flagship titles carried those illegal site while all the myriads of interesting stuff came along for the ride. However, if you have to pay for it, no sense getting the stuff your audience doesn't want.

Quote:
I'm going to save this answer as a text file then use it every time someone says "The Japanese anime industry doesn't give a crap about the rest of the world" on a forum.

That's what I'm hoping for but I'm not holding my breath it'll stay that way for long. If all these companies were counting on all the money they'd get from having their titles bid on even before there were completed or even started... Amazing to consider the shows that got bids in the 2000s that were completed... now have to contend with the fact that it's mostly just the one guy with deep pockets.

So more and more companies will flatline and other shows will start to tighten their belt with lower budgets and less ambitious projects. And that could start early as... summer.

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
slau783

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Were the workers even given raises after this news?

I will refer you to this article from last month, which states that they laid off a bunch of people instead.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-19/crunchyroll-parent-company-ellation-lays-off-17-employees/.111220

If you do some digging into the circumstances of this lay off, it seems very shady. I will give some very basic info that I know. Crunchyroll hired a chief technology officer that was a friend of upper management that was also the chief technology officer of an outsourcing company. Crunchyroll then outsourced some work overseas and the engineering team based in San Francisco worked with the team overseas for a while. Then Ellation, parent company of Crunchyroll, purchased the outsourcing company and then laid off their own engineers. Why? Money of course. The SF engineers probably make multiples of what their overseas counterparts make after all benefits are taken into account.

To be blunt here is what happened:
1. Hire friend who works for outsourcing company with cheap labor.
2. Have your employees train and familiarize overseas engineers with your platform.
3. Purchase outsourcing company.
4. Lay off your own employees.
5. Profit
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Their in house subs are still shit tier. Laughing
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
That's great and all, but here, in Spain, CR uses horrendous subtitles (latin american ones) and they don't even licence half of what they do in other territories.

AFAIK no streaming site does UK english subtitles, so why would you expect castilian spanish subs when you are even smaller fry than the UK? Netflix might look better because they have castilian dubs of most titles in their library, but still Netflix and CR also have a more limited library for us spanish speakers no matter the continent. which I hope it improves later on (they added full metal alchemist BH and I expect Attack on Titan by spring).
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
chronos02 wrote:
That's great and all, but here, in Spain, CR uses horrendous subtitles (latin american ones) and they don't even licence half of what they do in other territories.

AFAIK no streaming site does UK english subtitles, so why would you expect castilian spanish subs when you are even smaller fry than the UK? Netflix might look better because they have castilian dubs of most titles in their library, but still Netflix and CR also have a more limited library for us spanish speakers no matter the continent. which I hope it improves later on (they added full metal alchemist BH and I expect Attack on Titan by spring).

Well, that's fairly simple, UK and US english are similar safe for specific words and some idioms, whereas Latino Spanish has almost nothing to do with Spain's Spanish. Latinos, for example, never, ever use the compound present perfect, whereas Spaniards use it frequently, this also applies to many other verbal tenses. Then there's also the vocabulary, which is not only different, but it also reaches an archaic state for us when listening to their speech, it almost feels like watching some cheap period drama. Additionally, they do not distinguish informal from formal language, and let's not even talk about extremely informal or vulgar language, there is simply no distinction. You can see two gangsters talking in one movie and then two businessmen and their talk and way of speech will be the very same. Imagine a snob british high society member's language being used by two thugs while swearing to eachother, nonsense right? well, that's what it looks like to us in Spain, nonsense.

That is not to say their language isn't fully functional or any other crap like that, it's simply too different from ours, it's a 500 year language evolutionary difference.

Plus, Spaniards do not like it one bit, it is often despised upon, and for a simple reason: only cheap soap operas have ever kept the latino dub when imported to Spain (also very old cartoons), which means, anything that uses latino spanish, spoken or written, will be sentenced by the public as a mediocre product, looked down upon, and most probably cast aside.

And, there is also the fact CR lied to the Spaniards, they stated in big bold black words that every single subtitled series brought to spain would NOT use the latin spanish subtitles and that they would hire a new translator specifically for Spain (translators I guess, I simply cannot see a single person doing all that work), well, in the end, nope, latino for you guys, suck it.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The other thing I thought was interesting in the Crunchyroll announcement is that they have something like 25 million registered-but-non-paying users.

20 million, per CR:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/02/09-1/crunchyroll-surpasses-over-one-million-paid-subscribers-details-daily-giveaways-to-celebrate
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9