• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Pleads Guilty to Coercing Girl He Met at Anime Con

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Yes, the con could have done more[...] Going downtown, commuting to/from school, spending the day at an anime convention, at the mall, at an amusement park, or at a park are all reasonable things that normal 13-year-olds do on their own without constant supervision. Sadly there is risk inherent in every activity.

I'm not sure the con should have done more (though maybe it could have.) We don't expect those malls & amusement parks & city sidewalks & sports stadiums & everywhere-else-kids-are to screen every adult male that might be there, so why is an anime convention special? And if the creep is willing to forge identities for himself, how's the con supposed to know it's him? Retinal scans at the turnstiles? And if they were screening there, what's to stop this guy (who originally met the victim via facebook) from just meeting her elsewhere where Big Brother isn't watching him?

"A terrible thing happened, something must be done; this is something; therefore let's do it" drives too much of our policy as it is. Doing something effective is important, doing something kneejerk is dumb. (That way lies random grandma searches by the TSA.)
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
What a skunk! Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say, and I hope the girl and her family will be okay.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
You people are so silly. Asking why a thirteen year-old has Facebook? Really? There are five year-olds on Facebook without parental supervision.

And unsupervised thirteen year-olds at Anime conventions is like, the norm. It's funny how out of touch people get as soon as they hit eighteen. Thirteen year-olds are off doing everything on their own, including hitting up nasty looking thirty year-olds.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
...why is an anime convention special?

Anime conventions require registration. It would be very easy for conventions to compare registration information with online sexual offenders lists and require ID to pick up passes. Katsu stated they will do this from now on.

Yes, these efforts can be circumvented, but they are something the con can do and it takes very little effort. There's no guarantee these steps would have stopped this from happening, but there's also no guarantee they would have failed. But having no such measures in place assured the offender easy access to the event.

Because the conventions are full of minors, and because they can easily do "something more" they "should." It's to their benefit obviously. I'm not calling them responsible at all. Merely saying that they, and every anime con in America, should consider doing "more" to protect their attendees. It's a relatively easy process, so there's no reason not to do it.

Mikeski wrote:

"A terrible thing happened, something must be done; this is something; therefore let's do it" drives too much of our policy as it is. Doing something effective is important, doing something kneejerk is dumb. (That way lies random grandma searches by the TSA.)

No. You're confusing the desire to protect people with the willingness to protect people at all costs. It is he latter mentality, not the former, that lead to the current state of the TSA (something I have publicly spoken out against in other venues).
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Jeebus that's messed up, hope the girl and her family come out of this okay. A little more oversight at conventions and from parents could only help.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Wow, I can't believe some of you.

The man has previously been convicted of statutory rape. She stopped talking to him when she realized who he was. He contacted her again under a false name. He lied to her about his past. He coerced her into sexual activity.

None of that suggest that she led him into believing she was of legal age. In fact, it suggests the exact opposite: he is a serial offender looking for underage girls.

Criminey, THANK YOU. I was wondering if people were overlooking those parts in the article. They stood out quite well to me.

Now, having said that...

tempest wrote:
Seriously ? You're blaming the parents ? Yes, the con could have done more, but to expect 13-year-olds to be chaperoned all the time is ridiculous. This could have happened in any number of places, and by 13 years age, kids are normally given a much longer leash. Going downtown, commuting to/from school, spending the day at an anime convention, at the mall, at an amusement park, or at a park are all reasonable things that normal 13-year-olds do on their own without constant supervision. Sadly there is risk inherent in every activity.

I do think the parents and the victim share some blame as well, and hopefully they treat this as a lesson. I think the parents could have been more aware of her activities online, and she could have used better judgment. My parents made sure I knew to be careful no matter where I was - online, I don't accept friend invites from people I don't know.

That said, the guy was completely in the wrong here. He's had a previous history of such acts, he contacted her on FB using false name, he's the one who coerced her at the con. Clearly he knew what he was doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
*shudders and cringes* What a sicko. I am so sorry for Katsucon. Like they said, they want their conventions to be safe and fun for everyone, and now this sicko comes along and messes it all up. My heart goes out to the poor girl and her family, as well as Katsucon. Don't feel bad, Katsucon staff, it's not your fault we have creepers like this motherf***er running around.

But I do hope the girl learned her lesson. Even if she was coerced, why have even given this guy the time of day in the first place? I agree with the above post by willag

Last edited by Youkai Warrior on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
JLightstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's mistakes like that going to give Anime conventions in general a bad name. I am just curious if other cons have pre screening for registered sex offenders during their pre-registrations. ( of course, they would require a valid driver license/ photo id from that state and a lot of staff willing to sit at a computer all day looking up names in state databases and I don't think it's a violation of privacy issue since it's a matter of public record. Guess cons would have to discuss it with their legal dept.) or plan on adopting a system to weed out registered sex offenders.

Yes, the guy should be in jail for what he did.

I wouldn't be surprised if the parents brought a civil suit against Katsucon and possibly Facebook.

However, I have to say to all parents with minor children, if you have a nagging feeling about your kid walking around at a convention by themselves that doesn't sit right with you. Then, please, do yourself a favor: pay the fee and make the time to spend the day with your kid instead of signing a permission slip relieving the con of any and all liability. Even if you don't get the concept of anime/manga, your kid will either hate you for being with them or love you for spending some time doing something they enjoy. If you still can't do this and decide to let you kid go with permission slip in hand, talk to them! Discuss a game plan of how long they plan to be, remind them about strangers, and give them a way to contact you and the staff. Research, Research, Research!
It's better to be concerned, aware, and informed then to be naive and uncertain about where your kid is going.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
tempest,

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but IMO at 13 years old, the girl isn't exactly incapable of understanding what she is doing. "Coerce" is a slippery word because it can mean anything from, "Come on, baby, it'll be fun." to "If you don't come with me, I'll kill you." I'm not sure what the exact legal definition is, but I'm just saying that it's not particularly specific.

Also, I'm not saying that the guy isn't a complete scumbag and creep. He most definitely is. I just think that at 13 years old, a girl has enough common sense not to just head off and do the deed with some guy that looks old enough to be her father.

You can put rails on a dangerous ledge, but that wont stop someone who wants to jump off.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Ok, first things first. The guy was in the wrong here. I am not trying to excuse him, nor am I trying to somehow lessen what he's done. But, conventions are not, nor should they be expected to be, babysitters. The sexual misconduct, as I've read it, did not happen at the con. Thus, the convention met what I'd say are reasonable expectations in keeping their attendees safe. Since when is it considered excessive to expect that parents are aware of what their kids are doing online? When I was that age, granted I didn't have the internet (yeah, that does make me sound a bit old, I admit), but if I was going to go somewhere, my parents made sure they knew where, who with, who was going to be there, ect. If they didn't like the sound of any part of it, I didn't get to go. Whatever happened to parents saying "No, you can't go because I don't think you'll be properly supervised"?

At any rate, if doing the offender checks gives people the illusion that nothing bad can happen, and as long as it doesn't create problems with registration for the 99.99% of us who are going to anime conventions because we want to have a fun, legal weekend, then fine, do whatever.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
[
I do think the parents and the victim share some blame as well, and hopefully they treat this as a lesson. I think the parents could have been more aware of her activities online, and she could have used better judgment. My parents made sure I knew to be careful no matter where I was - online, I don't accept friend invites from people I don't know.

That said, the guy was completely in the wrong here. He's had a previous history of such acts, he contacted her on FB using false name, he's the one who coerced her at the con. Clearly he knew what he was doing.

I do agree both parties share the blame. Now I can't say if the parents were not keeping a good enough eye on what she was doing on online so I won't comment on that. The first time the girl avoided the dude. The second time the girl could have said no and that would have been the end of that.

The dude likes underage women so he has some issues. He is in the wrong too.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but IMO at 13 years old, the girl isn't exactly incapable of understanding what she is doing. "Coerce" is a slippery word because it can mean anything from, "Come on, baby, it'll be fun." to "If you don't come with me, I'll kill you." I'm not sure what the exact legal definition is, but I'm just saying that it's not particularly specific.

Quote:

to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition: They coerced him into signing the document.
to bring about through the use of force or other forms of compulsion; exact: to coerce obedience.
to dominate or control, especially by exploiting fear, anxiety, etc.: The state is based on successfully coercing the individual.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nekedo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to the three/four people who have any sort of logic when it comes to this story. The rest of you are disgusting.

The girl is dumb for running away. She is not guilty of anything other than that. There is nothing in this article (I couldn't find the previous ones) that suggest she asked for any sexual contact. Read the nice big bold headline at the top of the page for gosh sakes. For those of you that can't be bothered, here's the legal definition of coercion. Do you people even know what it's like to be a 13 year-old girl? All this guy had to do was tell her she was cute or funny, and that would be enough to capture the heart of many a teenage girl starving for attention. I feel incredibly sorry for her.

For the love of Tao, being overpowered and molested multiple times =/= consensual. Do you know how many teenage girls, let alone women, are assaulted repeatedly, and never say a word against it because they either are scared, confused, ashamed or, I don't know, afraid of being labeled by people like you, who assume she seduced him and must have enjoyed it if it happened more than once. Go look up Jaycee Dugard and then come at me saying such crap.

It's not her fault she was taken advantage of. End of story.

Last edited by nekedo on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
So if he just married her, it'd be less creepy?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
nekedo wrote:
Congrats to the three/four people who have any sort of logic when it comes to this story. The rest of you are disgusting.

The girl is dumb for running away. She is not guilty of anything other than that. There is nothing in this article (I couldn't find the previous ones) that suggest she asked for any sexual contact. Read the nice big bold headline at the top of the page for gosh sakes. Do you people even know what it's like to be a 13 year-old girl? All this guy had to do was tell her she was cute or funny, and that would be enough to capture the heart of many a teenage girl starving for attention. I feel incredibly sorry for her.

For the love of Tao, being overpowered and molested multiple times =/= consensual. Do you know how many teenage girls, let alone women, are assaulted repeatedly, and never say a word against it because they either are scared, confused, ashamed or, I don't know, afraid of being labeled by people like you, who assume she seduced him and must have enjoyed it if it happened more than once. Go look up Jaycee Dugard and then come at me saying such crap.

It's not her fault she was taken advantage of. End of story.

Remember this though. He contacted her a second time and this time she believed what he said. She still could have no to him and that would have been the end of it.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
WAY TO GO MARYLAND...It's good to know I live within 20 minutes of these kinds of people.

The first thing that came to my mind when I heard FEBRUARY 2010 WAS SNOWPOCALYPSE!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13