• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AIC Ad: New Megazone 23, Pretty Sammy Projects in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
If they cba keep Megazone 23 locked in that 80s aesthetic, then hell yeah. What we don't need is more glitzy ambiguous cyberpunk in the the future, like every other scifi ever.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
"AIC animates the projects you think of!"

It's true, I was just thinking about what a third season of Sasami Magical Girls Club would be like!

Think that was a mistranslation of "Animates the titles you distantly remember!"

The quote is not a mistranslation, but a nod to the crowdfunding done on the Campfire platform.

Quote:
(Because whoever paid the $77 for AIC was able to grab the property licenses, like all the other name-only Tenchi resurrections.
Tenchi has become sort of the equivalent of all our Terminator sequels.)

The person who acquired AIC back is the original founder, Toru Miura.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
v1cious wrote:
The final scene of the original Megazone 23 is one my favorites of all time. The biggest benefit I can see from a remake is hopefully a more unified project. I really hated the style change between 1 and 2.

Please, part 1 has cookie cutter blander than bland 1980s design on all levels especially on the character design.
Part 2 is what really distinguishes Megazone 23. If you want Minmay go watch Macross, Megazone 23 is not for you. Laughing

My problem is it's jarring. When I first saw it, I literally thought I was watching two different series. I mean I get that they probably wanted to make the second one better, but it just seems off for some reason. Not saying it doesn't look great, but it doesn't feel consistent.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I see. So the studio changed ownerships. No wonder there were no news about them since 2014. Considering how big they became, I guess they kinda did got into some financial trouble.

IMO reboots would be interesting. I don't think a Megazone 23 anime would work without its 1980s vibe, and I look forward to seeing more of that era being animated.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
IMO reboots would be interesting. I don't think a Megazone 23 anime would work without its 1980s vibe, and I look forward to seeing more of that era being animated.

This is sort of what I'm afraid of, to be honest. Megazone 23 is set in the 80's because it was made in the 80's. Making a version in the 2010's that is a throwback to the 80's just isn't the same thing. Could they do that and still have a point to it, though? Maybe. But I can't help but be nervous it'll just be treated like a lame "REMEMBER THAT THING" anime, which completely misses what it was about.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
"AIC animates the projects you think of!"

It's true, I was just thinking about what a third season of Sasami Magical Girls Club would be like!

Think that was a mistranslation of "Animates the titles you distantly remember!"

The quote is not a mistranslation, but a nod to the crowdfunding done on the Campfire platform.

Quote:
(Because whoever paid the $77 for AIC was able to grab the property licenses, like all the other name-only Tenchi resurrections.
Tenchi has become sort of the equivalent of all our Terminator sequels.)

The person who acquired AIC back is the original founder, Toru Miura.

Lol he pretty much sold it back to himself (in the article, he's also the CEO of the company that sold it to him so it makes sense).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2