• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Anime Gets Brand-New Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
ickybott555 wrote:
With the international love and fame Yuri!!! on Ice has, we will see the film premiring in America probably weeks after Japan airs theirs.

Dude, most anime movies don't usually get a release weeks after they air. Think on terms of months.

Given its homosexual themes, I'd imagine this will be an "art house" release at best.

"International love and fame" in the US probably constitutes a few tens of thousands of people at most. "Tokyo Anime Award Festival announced today that the TV anime Yuri!!! On ICE won this year's "Anime Fan Award" with 41,439 votes from the fans." That's based on world-wide voting. (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/02/22-1/yuri-on-ice-receives-anime-fan-award-at-tokyo-anime-award-festival-2017) The totals for Crunchy's own award were much higher, 44% of 1.8 million votes cast, but there were few controls to block multiple votes or similar efforts to stuff the ballot box, and again voting was worldwide. (http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/yuri-on-ice-wins-anime-of-the-year-in-crunchyrolls-first-ever-anime-awards-2191864.htm)

"Your name," the twelfth most successful anime film ever in the US, grossed just $4.2 million. If we assume average ticket prices were around $10, that is 420,000 people total. In comparison, the compilation Madoka Magica film grossed just $180,000, and "Rebellion" brought in $375,000. Considering that Madoka was a highly-popular series when it aired, those results are not encouraging.

Last edited by yuna49 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 am; edited 3 times in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Ahem, chiming in for the obligatory:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Pretty much the reaction at the venue, and I'm sure at theaters all over Japan too.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of story they come up for a movie. Hopefully a second season will follow.
Umeko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
I'm really glad to hear it's not a compilation. Since crunchyroll has the license and its such a popular show, I'm sure it'll at least be streamed like the new Digimon movies have been. I hope so at least.

My understanding (which, full disclosure, could be incorrect) is that they can do this with Digimon tri only because the movies also get a simultaneous digital release via iTunes and other services in Japan. It's a bit of a unique situation and I wouldn't hold my breath on it being replicated here.

kiminobokuwa wrote:
ickybott555 wrote:
With the international love and fame Yuri!!! on Ice has, we will see the film premiring in America probably weeks after Japan airs theirs.

Dude, most anime movies don't usually get a release weeks after they air. Think on terms of months.

I'd say that within six to eight weeks is plausible - though at that point you can start quantifying in months too! SAO Ordinal Scale came to the US three weeks after its Japan release, so I'd think it's possible that an anime that has recently seen the kind of popularity YOI has could get a short turnaround. Doukyusei was only, what... two, three months? And that's without prior popularity from a TV series to lean on. So who knows.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm glad! More YoI is always a good thing :3
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Umeko wrote:
Mew Berry wrote:
I'm really glad to hear it's not a compilation. Since crunchyroll has the license and its such a popular show, I'm sure it'll at least be streamed like the new Digimon movies have been. I hope so at least.

My understanding (which, full disclosure, could be incorrect) is that they can do this with Digimon tri only because the movies also get a simultaneous digital release via iTunes and other services in Japan. It's a bit of a unique situation and I wouldn't hold my breath on it being replicated here.

kiminobokuwa wrote:
ickybott555 wrote:

I'd say that within six to eight weeks is plausible - though at that point you can start quantifying in months too! SAO Ordinal Scale came to the US three weeks after its Japan release, so I'd think it's possible that an anime that has recently seen the kind of popularity YOI has could get a short turnaround. Doukyusei was only, what... two, three months? And that's without prior popularity from a TV series to lean on. So who knows.

SAO is licensed by AniplexUSA but they got it in more theaters than Your Name. It's kind of unfair really tbh. I'm not a Yuri on ice fan (as in I've definitely seen better from a BL like story) but still. Some movies get such a small treatment in the U.S. I can somewhat blame Funimation because they had Your Name and then released it in a few teathers. Even if we take into account the popularity, that's a small number. I know the fans and all, but if they can't access what they love easily then it becomes mute. I once went to go see the live viewing of LoveLive Sunshine's first live and it was PACKED because there was only 2 theaters showing it where I lived, both times sold out and they only showed it for one day. How is that fair when in other countries they get a week or so to show it? They don't really appeal to anime fans when it comes to theater releases which pisses me off. That won't make a lot of money in the foreign department at all. Like come on, Your Name could have made a lot more than it did. It was great, but still. We deserve a lot more as international fans. Just saying my two piece here, sorry for the rant.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
Since crunchyroll has the license and its such a popular show, I'm sure it'll at least be streamed like the new Digimon movies have been. I hope so at least.

Given that the international popularity of this film is guaranteed, it would be an oversight for the matter of overseas online distribution not to be considered prior to the domestic release.
I remember an industry insider complaining how the unprecedented popularity of Your Name was somewhat frustrating, as legal streaming companies could do nothing to overcome the film's inaccessibility despite exceptional demand. Whether this film suffers a similar fate could be a significant acid test of the anime film business' flexibility in the streaming age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Hopefully Crunchyroll can convince them to either let them stream it early like Digimon Tri or release it in theaters within a couple of months considering that it was a huge moneymaker for Crunchyroll. It always sucks that we can get tv shows within hours but movies are months or years. Especially since YOI likes to time things with current events so I'm guessing that this will either be Olympics or Worlds.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Ahem, chiming in for the obligatory:

ÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering when you pop in lol. It will be interesting to see just how big of a US movie release this gets if any.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what story they'll tell. There is a lot they could do with a movie. It could even serve as a really solid conclusion to the story, if that's what they want to do. I'd be pretty okay with that. It'd almost definitely be a more healthy production, so that's a good thing, for starters.
I'm with everyone else in wonder how this will be handled for Western distribution. Movies are hit or miss, but this is a big enough franchise that I can't imagine it not showing up here at least on disc. I'd sure love to see more movies just get streamed on CR though.
(still waiting for A Silent Voice Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad )
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

SAO is licensed by AniplexUSA but they got it in more theaters than Your Name.

Would you mind sharing where you got that impression, by chance? The last I saw, Your Name's initial release was in 311 theaters in the US with many theaters doing recurring showings throughout the day - and a cursory glance of Ordinal Scale's site shows ~30 theaters screening the english dubbed version, with a good number only doing a single screening or a single weekend.

Back on the topic of the YoI movie, I'm pretty excited for this knowing it's for sure not a recap. I'd love to get the chance to see it in theaters if at all possible, an I'm super interested in seeing what Sayo Yamamoto can do with a feature-length film.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:

SAO is licensed by AniplexUSA but they got it in more theaters than Your Name.

Would you mind sharing where you got that impression, by chance? The last I saw, Your Name's initial release was in 311 theaters in the US with many theaters doing recurring showings throughout the day - and a cursory glance of Ordinal Scale's site shows ~30 theaters screening the english dubbed version, with a good number only doing a single screening or a single weekend.

Back on the topic of the YoI movie, I'm pretty excited for this knowing it's for sure not a recap. I'd love to get the chance to see it in theaters if at all possible, an I'm super interested in seeing what Sayo Yamamoto can do with a feature-length film.

I'm talking about on a worldwide scale. It got released in 1000 theaters and that was said on this very news site. Whereas Your Name only got about 311. Compare the numbers ,it shows that they didn't get a fair release.

Your name:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=yourname.htm

Hence my rant. I know it's still ongoing in the U.S. but still, not a lot of theaters on a worldwide basis was showing it compared to SAO.
Umeko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I'm talking about on a worldwide scale. It got released in 1000 theaters and that was said on this very news site. Whereas Your Name only got about 311. Compare the numbers ,it shows that they didn't get a fair release.

You're talking on a worldwide scale for only SAO. You're taking SAO's worldwide numbers and comparing that to Your Name's US numbers, of course it's going to come out horribly skewed. Even if it's true that Your Name didn't screen in as many US theatres as SAO did (no idea if that's true or not), FUNimation can't force individual theatres to screen whatever they tell them to.

But anyway, how about them ice skaters, yeah?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffu*k YEAH!!!!!

IMO, all the series needed was a film to show Yuuri winning a gold medal (and​ a big fat Russian-Japanese musical wedding would be fantastic) so, I'm content if this is the finale. If it's just a side story to prepare for a possible tv sequel then that's fine too. Hope Victor's background is mentioned in someway or if the Winter Olympics/Worlds will be featured.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I cannot wait!!! Very Happy
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed YOI but I don't really feel that the format would adapt to film especially well, and I'm especially concerned that Sayo Yamamoto's frenetic style of direction would feel even more strained and aggravating in long form. It was the periods of extended focus on skating routines that really made the show manageable imo, grounding and contextualizing scenes in the "real world" which were otherwise emotionally slapdash and unfocused. Like, I could have never bought into the central romance without seeing it develop as it did in congruence with Yuuri's skating, but to me that was a journey that had to take place in episodes, progressively over time.

I just wonder how they'll manage this movie: I'd love to see something more relaxed, something that breathes and lets the characters stretch their legs and really fill in every scene. I never felt like I had the opportunity to savor an episode of YOI; more like I was always panting as I tried to keep up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3