• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kemono Friends Producer Asks Fans Not to Watch Anime Illegally

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
sputn1k wrote:
Flash isn't nearly as dangerous these days as it used to be...

That is a very dangerous philosophy, akin to "I can drive and play pokemon go at the same time". I am not as angry as most at crunchyroll because I use my roku to stream most of my fix, but I have yet to check crunchyrolls manga library because it requires flash. I hope their html5 player is ready sooner rather than later.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Crunchyroll currently has a Beta HTML5 player. It's an option under the video bar.

This changes almost everything! Fare thee well, separate browser that I hitherto used only for Flash applications!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
GabbVolo2984 wrote:
Kemono Friends on Crunchyroll...

(goes there and checks...)

oh darn, it's not available for my country (Philippines)..guess my only choice is buy the DVDs in Japan.

This is why I hate crunchyroll..and it's even promoting itself to our country but not have the same anime lineup as of those in North America due to licensing issues..

If it makes you feel better, their entire library isn't available in any one single country. That's just how licensing works. But they will still advertise things they have, naturally.
Slashman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that when sites like Crunchyroll provide their lineup to every country who wants to watch the content they have, there will be less pirating via either torrents or streaming sites.

I was having this same discussion with a friend the other day. Just because I happen to be in the Caribbean, doesn't mean I don't want to watch the same anime everyone else can watch. I have no problem giving the big ol' finger to companies that refuse to let customers take the legal route by withholding content they want to watch. That includes Netflix and their annoying providers who are just too friggin' greedy to offer their content to all regions.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
If it makes you feel better, their entire library isn't available in any one single country. That's just how licensing works. But they will still advertise things they have, naturally.

But producer's can't have their cake and eat it. Either they make sure crunchyroll has their show legally available in all territories they cover or they stop blaming illegal streaming for not achieving their goals.

I feel the producer's since I am still waiting for the second season of The Ambition of Oda Nobuna, but pointing fingers solves absolutely nothing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Every time I hear the industry complain about all the money they're losing out to illegal streaming sites, I think about how much money they're losing from not selling all that production artwork that is usually burned/trashed in Japan. Instead, they're allowing people (and companies like Mandarake) to sell these items instead. Ever seen how much some of the complete cel set-ups from Totoro go for on Mandarake? 25K, if you're lucky. There are several resellers on Yahoo Japan that sell smuggled and dumpster dived artwork as a third party source, and I'm sure that even once the reseller takes their cut, the person who smuggles that artwork out makes a good chunk of change. Yet, instead, let's go after the streaming sites. Even though that hasn't stopped people from watching in the decade or so that sites like Crunchyroll have legally been around, I'm sure it'll eventually work for them Rolling Eyes

You seem to know a lot about buying and selling this artwork--do you know how much of it is counterfeit? Thinking about piracy and letting people not involved in the production process get money from it, I figure there's a counterpart to that too in the form of fakes being sold.

sputn1k wrote:
wastrel wrote:

I will be more than happy to subscribe to Crunchyroll once they stop requiring me to infect my computer with Flash. Every once in a while I'll go to their site and try to find a statement, an FAQ, a forum comment, anything, that says they no longer require Flash to see anime and manga on my computer from them. I am still waiting.

They have a beta HTML5 player for their Premium+ customers. They also have almost their entire catalog on their sister service VRV, which has an HTML5 player for everyone - though the service is currently still region-locked to the US.
CR also has a Windows 10 UWP app.

Flash isn't nearly as dangerous these days as it used to be, as all current versions of popular browser block the plug-in on all websites unless specifically whitelisted. Unless you think Crunchyroll themselves would infect your PC, if you just whitelist their site, there's no risk in you installing Flash.

Despite the fact that I have used Flash to animate things (meaning I have Flash itself on my computer, though it's called Animate nowadays), I actually don't know much about the security risks associated with Flash. What are they, and what is it that makes people so apprehensive using it? I use a Mac--is it safer?

I was hanging around back during the days when Macromedia was in charge of the program, and everyone was into Newgrounds and such, so it seems strange to me to see people so afraid of it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Legal streaming services need to put in more effort to combat the piracy. Asking nicely won't fix the low bitrates, stuttering, buffering, framerate, and sometimes even colour range issues
Illegal streams for nearly any semi-recent anime are re-encodes of the first available downloaded version, AKA HorribleSubs -- meaning they're going to have worse quality than the original legal stream. Seems like viewers are just fine with the same or worse quality available at legal sites, as long as they don't have to pay money or watch ads. So much for that "piracy is a service problem" nonsense.

DeTroyes wrote:
This doesn't even get into the fact that the illegal sites also tend to have shows not available any way else. If you want to watch an older classic like Record of Lodoss Wars, you can either shell out a few hundred dollars for the out-of-print discs on Ebay, or you can stream it illegally.

Bootleg streaming sites rely on downloaded rips for their videos, so anything that can be watched illegally can be downloaded as well. And did you completely miss that Funimation has re-licensed Lodoss War? If you delve into available view numbers like the ones on The Flagship Bootleg Streaming Site, they tell the story of a userbase overwhelmingly interested in recent/popular anime that're readily available on legal sites. For instance, Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995) is a well-respected older classic that's been out of print for almost 9 years. Surely it would be more popular on The Flagship than the Winter 2017 widely-reviled disaster, Hand Shakers, right? Nope, Hand Shakers has almost 3.8 times more views per month than NGE. You have to go to #117 on their most popular list to even find something that isn't legally available. (#117 being the Kiss x Sis OVA, which as a manga pack-in OAD is off the table for legal streaming in the first place. And it has <3% of the total views of the #1 series, One Piece.)

Cutiebunny wrote:
Every time I hear the industry complain about all the money they're losing out to illegal streaming sites, I think about how much money they're losing from not selling all that production artwork that is usually burned/trashed in Japan. Instead, they're allowing people (and companies like Mandarake) to sell these items instead.
Let's be honest, bootleg streaming site users are generally not the types with the funds and the werewithal to be importing production artwork or any other merchandise from Japan.

Slashman wrote:
I suspect that when sites like Crunchyroll provide their lineup to every country who wants to watch the content they have, there will be less pirating via either torrents or streaming sites.

Around 40% of the traffic on The Flagship comes from the US and Japan, two countries that're hardly underserved by legal sites. There's clearly a substantial contingent of viewers that has legal access, but simply doesn't want to pay subscription fees or watch ads. It's going to be the same way if CR and other legal sites acquire licenses for those other countries, unless there's a change in the viewerbase culture as well.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is that this is a lost cause. Has been for years now....it will continue.

I can understand where the producer is coming from with this but thinking realistically, every method that has been done to combat piracy has failed and will continue to do so. Not saying they shouldn't get paid for their works (because they should) but the only reason this happens in the first place is because of availability, DVD/Blu-Ray prices, & not to mention the economy is turning to s**t again.

Till then, I'll continue with my fansubs (the only reason I go for them is so that I can watch them at my own leisure without worrying about if my internet drops), streams, & dvds as many other people will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3