• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Searching for Star Blazers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
@samuelp

Thanks for that information. It was pretty interesting.
LawnDartOmega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I've also been been holding off buying the Japanese version, waiting for a domestic release. I'm hoping this article breaks the curse and we get news of one soon!
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Well, 2199 wasn't that amazing, anyway. It lost the Kodai-Okita father-son dynamic and a lot of the original's heart. But it did have more gender diversity and more about the Gamilians, at least.

The original's heart was a nasty undercurrent subtext of "Japan did nothing wrong in World War II" right-wing ideology. 2199 is vastly superior for going out it's way to fix that.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
samuelp, thanks for the translation job. I particularly appreciated translating Okita's response to a surrender ultimatum as "Nuts!" Nice use of history there.

Zeino wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Well, 2199 wasn't that amazing, anyway. It lost the Kodai-Okita father-son dynamic and a lot of the original's heart. But it did have more gender diversity and more about the Gamilians, at least.

The original's heart was a nasty undercurrent subtext of "Japan did nothing wrong in World War II" right-wing ideology. 2199 is vastly superior for going out it's way to fix that.

But it did keep the totally deserved* reference of the "second class citizens" Gamilian 442nd Special Operations platoon, as more people should know about the heavily decorated US Army 442nd Infantry Regiment of Japanese-Americans whose families were in internment camps.

* - OK, given Japan's actions during WWII to some other countries, totally deserved for someone to bring it up the US but maybe Japan wasn't the best one to be making the point.
Basroil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
When I saw what Voyager was doing with the USA release I purposely avoided buying any discs as I had a bad feeling that their release model would fail. Sadly my vision came to pass but if it hadn't I'd have gladly bought all six volumes as soon as the last was released. Looks like I'll be buying the Japanese box set soon.
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I have to be blunt Mike: WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU IMPORT THE JAPANESE BD'S OF YAMATO 2199? I bought all the 7 volumes, and they cost me around US $400. Yes, that is a lot of money for 26 episodes, but it was worth it because I love freaking show. I intended to import the 2202 discs, but Bandai Visual apparently does not want our stinky, non-Japanese money. But hopefully someone in the U.S. puts out at least subtitled BD's,

You can get through sites such as amazom.co.jp or play asia.These companies will accept your money.
Yes i would like to a proper yamato release here in america.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as one of the furious fans that were outraged over the botched 2199 release. I ended up having to pirate the damn thing just to see it. I LOVE it and am looking forward to seeing my favorite character Treleina/Teresa in Comet Empire come to life on screen soon. I'm still livid that they botched the release. I was happy to buy a copy of the Blurays until I saw the outrageous pricing and stupid release schedule with no streaming for new fans. It's a series that I wish more people saw but I won't spend a fortune importing stuff because they were greedy. They have a chance to redo this well for Comet Empire. They can rerelease 2199 properly in the west and still sell well. I know I'd pay for it if it was done properly.
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
I went to a very small sci-fi/fantasy convention a few months back, one where there were a few viewing parties for various obscure sci-fi shows, and Yamato was on there. An older bearded gentleman who ran a Yamato fansite showed a few subbed episodes of 2199, lectured a bit about it and the licensing troubles, was impressed that at 25 I even knew about some of this older anime (I was by far the youngest one in the room), and then showed a bit of the unsubbed sequel series.

Depending on exactly which convention this is, I might be that older bearded gentleman! (I'd be thinking of Lunacon back in April... I also did a Yamato panel at AnimeNext about a month ago, but I wouldn't qualify that as a "small sci-fi/fantasy convention", which would be an apt description of Lunacon!

Last edited by Rheinhard on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
As the person who was i charge of the English subs on those Japanese blurays, I believe I should add all I can about how those came to be included.

Wow! Thanks for this really interesting back story! If you haven't done so, I'd suggest reaching out to Tim Eldred, proprietor of ourstarblazers.com, because I'm sure he'd be interested in picking your brain for an interview on the site!
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Ok who's with me on staging a daring raid on Voyager Entertainment Japan's offices and liberating the test dub of Star Blazers 2199 and getting it into Mike Toole's hands?
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Ok who's with me on staging a daring raid on Voyager Entertainment Japan's offices and liberating the test dub of Star Blazers 2199 and getting it into Mike Toole's hands?

I'm sure he'll get it one way or another, he managed to find the freakin ADV Gurren Lagann dub.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so I figure that what needs to happen is, Tom Cruise has to grow a snowy beard and play Captain Avatar.

Actually, because of the eyepatch he had on in Valkyrie, I've suggested he play Harlock. Embarassed
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Now this is what TRUE anime fans do!
Thomas Tipping

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
Good article. I have all the BDs that were sold in the US. I even have a second copy of disc 1 that I ordered via a bookstore in Little Tokyo, It came with a Garmillas badge lanyard. Shiori Kawana, with Bang Zoom! Entertainment, hosted a showing of a Yamato 2199 episode at Anime Expo in 2014. That showing was in a large room and it was 95% empty. There was also a dub created of the episode. My current profile photo on Facebook is of Shiori and me at that screening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
A good article but I must confess, you lost me at "Avatar".
I don't remember any blue furries or frozen superpower children showing up when I watched it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4