• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Welcome to the Ballroom

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I have rather a different take on Chizuru than Dusky. I find her stereotypical hitting of Sengoku tiresome at this point. It detracts from her character for no good reason except to make a stupid and unfunny joke. Without that, she's pretty likable.

But we have been shown that they both do it to each other, as shocking as it was seeing a man hit a woman. If there is one thing we have seen with Sengoku, it is that he is actually a bit of a bonehead, that I don't think he gets something unless someone makes a point of it against him. We have been seeing him by himself for some time, and was certainly handling the Shizuku and Hyodo thing wrongly, pulling dumb moves like tricking Tatara into going on the floor and not informing his student, Shizuku (a 14 or something girl), that her partner is pushing himself too hard.

As troubling as the implication is, Sengoku needs to be hit around every so often, and he is not some victim in the act.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She's very coy about the whole thing

Well that's certainly putting it kindly. Split personality is more like it.

AksaraKishou wrote:
If that was the only thing she had going for her, we wouldn't like her as much as we do.

Except "we" don't like her. At all. I won't say that won't change, but Tatara is being extremely forbearing of her erratic behavior.

Yuna49 wrote:
By the way, Mako has never appeared as an "icy bitch" to me.

Since I'm the one who used that term, I'll point out I specifically excluded her when I did. Smile

At any rate, this is looking up. I still don't like anybody in it, but at least we're getting into the mechanics of things, and Hongo's making a slightly better impression on me. The number of good series there are that I'd rather watch this season will determine if I stick it out, since right now, it's on the short list of dispensables.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
I was definitely interested in the change in roles for Tatara, though I don't know if it will last very long. It was some change though. To be frank, "same thing, backwards, in heels" seems like an understatement for the partner role, if anything.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I've been wondering, are heels a requirement for female ballroom dancers? Would flats be desirable if allowed, beyond in a general sense?
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
Since this show seems to basically categorize women into "doormats" and "bitches", i very much prefer the bitches so far. I was actually shouting "YES!" at the screen when Chinatsu told Tatata to stop flinging her around...her personality might be problematic, but it's refreshing to see a female character who's not okay with being treated like a prop for once.

This was probably the first episode i enjoyed watching from start to finish (well, minus Banba's "miracle diet" which was just Rolling Eyes ), so i am cautiosly optimistic for this arc.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
What...? What do you guys mean by bitches? God damn, you guys keep talking as if everyone in the show is a horrible human being. Chi-chan needs to give Tatara a wake up call and all you guys can say is that she's being "mean" to him... lolwut?

I think it's better for me to now come here for this show in particular. It's like seeing a bunch of wallflowers discuss....
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
She's very coy about the whole thing

Well that's certainly putting it kindly. Split personality is more like it.

My original draft had that exact phrasing, but I decided not to go with it since I didn't know enough about the character yet. (Plus all that sensitivity training they make us do at the start of the semester...) Smile

Having caught up in the English manga releases now that the holidays are past, I can say that Chinatsu does make more sense once we know a little more about her, and her attitude comes from a decently realistic place. While I still find her hard to take, I think she becomes more understandable.

znrnzle500, from what I understand, yes, heels are required. This is perhaps less of an issue when you consider that the moves have to be done on the ball of your foot for the most part, so the heels are basically just specialized footwear, like gillies in Scottish Country Dance or toe shoes in ballet.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
you guys keep talking as if everyone in the show is a horrible human being.

Going by what the series has shown us so far, they are. Except Mako, who, while not horrible, is still not someone I'd want to hang out with.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
So Tatara starts a part-time job, and his boss's daughter happens to be Tatara's age and also happens to be a competitive ballroom dancer. (How many fourteen-year-old competitive dancers do you suppose there are in Tokyo? At best maybe a dozen?) Oh, and it turns out Akira is not just any dancer, but Chinatsu's former junior partner. Very believable... not.

Still unlikely coincidence shows up in anime all the time. Even Monster has its share.

So now we have another girl who may not qualify for the "icy bitch" category but certainly has those tendencies. At least now we have another pair of characters who can engage in stare downs on the dance floor.

Really why are all the main characters so edgy all the time? Can't we all get along?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 am Reply with quote
Just a heads up, due to preview guide, the episode review for this week will be done with next week's episode - so two next week, none this week. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:46 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
So now we have another girl who may not qualify for the "icy bitch" category but certainly has those tendencies.

Nah, she's more of a catty bitch. Still no one I'd like to be around for more than a few minutes at a time.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
So now we have another girl who may not qualify for the "icy bitch" category but certainly has those tendencies.

Nah, she's more of a catty bitch. Still no one I'd like to be around for more than a few minutes at a time.

I guess the only way to make Chinatsu look more likable was to give her an irredeemably awful rival. Besides, as we all know, women are always awful towards other women. Because women.

It'd be great if Tatara and Chinatsu became a revolutionary pair that had a woman leading and therefore would question the structure of the sport itself and broaden its possibilities (apart from height, is there any legit reason for pairs to be always composed of a leading man and a following woman?), but I'd bet this is a "Problem" that will be "fixed" eventually so... eh
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
I will say one thing, though I'm not much interested in fashion, that blue dress was stunning. Smile
Whitewolf55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there always CGI background dancers though? I definitely remember them in some other dancing scenes. Granted I've never been bothered by them, but I don't think they are anything new in Ballroom.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Looking back, yes. But I think they were a bit less in the background this time - we got a couple of shots where the CGI dancers were front and center, which is what struck me.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Humm.... this is actually physics problem... males have both the superior body weight and the physical strength to move his couple around, it's not as simple as saying "The girl is gonna lead" or "The couple will be equal".

You need a specialized choreography or a female with a great physical strength to lead in something as taxing as competitive dancing.

The "Horse" part is actually not a good analogy, in Horse riding both the rider and the horse work together and is the horse the one who makes most of the job, those who have read Gin no Saji probably remember the "You are scum and the horses God" speech.

There is another Dance Manga called "Seshiji o Pin! to", they did a way better job handling the explanation, on this manga's (paraphrased) words:

"The man's job is to make the woman look as beautiful and radiant as possible", so yeah, this episode made a bad explanation of the issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 19