• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Psychosomatic Medicine Manga Imagines World Without Sexual Desire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate, Nausicaä is perhaps 1 of the ultimate anime girls that feminists could enjoy. She is also 1 of those characters that can be deemed "hot" or "sexy" without being the standard fan-service hot/sexy.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
For example, women in Japan and women in America fight for equal rights in the workplace and access to affordable, quality childcare. In Japan, most women are expected to resign from their jobs when they get pregnant, because there is a general expectation that mothers should stay at home full time to raise their kids. This puts pressure on women and men, because a couple has to rely on one income to get by. One theory behind the low marriage rate in Japan is that it's just harder to support a family on a single income, so men with lower paying jobs are less "marriage-able"--which is compounded by women who push off marriage and childbearing so they won't feel pressured to give up careers they enjoy. Making the workplace more tolerant of working moms benefit both sexes.

In America, women are not expected to give up their jobs, but they are expected to use up all their sick days for maternity leave in most jobs, and balancing work & family in America is especially hard (when compared to European countries) because child care is more expensive than it is in Europe, and there are less subsidies (approximately $9,000/yr+ in most states, and more than the average yearly cost of college tuition). Again, one could argue that fighting for better quality, more affordable childcare benefits women more than men, but only in that mothers are still expected to provide the bulk of childcare compared to fathers. In reality, it benefits everybody (especially kids).
All this talk of "women are expected to do this and that", and yes, there is a lot of truth in that. But tell me, in BOTH societies are men not expected to be full-time providers for their families? It seems to me that the big F is primarily concerned with women having their cake and eating it too, while men only get one of the two roles. Men are objectified by the job they hold. Any man saying that he doesn't want to work, and instead stay in the house with the kids is not exactly what women look for in prospective mates. It's been 60 years since second-wave F took off, and has any of this changed for men? I don't think so. It's okay if the big F only looks out for women. Every group is allowed to form their own movements which further their own interests, but I believe it is a lie to say it's about equality.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
That's not true. Feminists fight to change the perception that feminine jobs--from taking care of ones own children to careers like social work, teaching and nursing--are actually egalitarian jobs.
According to a variety of research studies, the push to make men feel more comfortable in taking a bigger part in their children's lives has been working. There are more stay-at-home dads, more single dads, and more married women outearning their husbands than ever before.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Why would women want to be "equal" to men when men are also oppressed and constrained by sexist social structures?
Because the argument is that it's men keeping these sexist patriarchal structures up and running, and they all benefit greatly from this status quo.

But if you don't agree with this, then I have nothing more to add.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Because the argument is that it's men keeping these sexist patriarchal structures up and running, and they all benefit greatly from this status quo.

Whose argument? Not the feminists described in the article. Their criticisms of the manga include assertions that the manga's sexist elements also deeply insult men. The idea that feminism is only concerned with how patriarchy impacts half of the human race simply doesn't hold water; after all, the earliest iterations of the "men's rights" movement in the 70s and 80s were offshoots of their contemporary feminist movements.

Kadmos1 wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate, Nausicaä is perhaps 1 of the ultimate anime girls that feminists could enjoy. She is also 1 of those characters that can be deemed "hot" or "sexy" without being the standard fan-service hot/sexy.

Totally agree.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
...why does this comic sound like a guy who was tired getting rejected by women and decided to create a "vengeful" world where shallow men like him have the freedom to treat women as crap?

Because on the internet if you insinuate someone is a virgin it's considered an atomatic win in an argument without having to refute their points.

The idea that feminism is only concerned with how patriarchy impacts half of the human race simply doesn't hold water.
You have met some radically different feminists than I have it would seem. Calls to ban certain female depictions in media aimed at men doesn't seem that benefitial to men In my opinion.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
The idea that feminism is only concerned with how patriarchy impacts half of the human race simply doesn't hold water.
You have met some radically different feminists than I have it would seem. Calls to ban certain female depictions in media aimed at men doesn't seem that benefitial to men In my opinion.
Agreed, the feminist war against fanservice is a bad strategy. Trying to take away something a man loves will only make him your enemy. I get that feminists don't like fanservice but the idea that only the things they like have the right to exist is the mentality of a tyrant.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I get that feminists don't like fanservice but the idea that only the things they like have the right to exist is the mentality of a tyrant.

Lesbian Bear Storm is one of the most feminist anime ever made, and naked teenage girls lick "nectar" off each others' lower bodies about once an episode (in a way that makes Kill la Kill's fanservice look tame), so maybe this "war on fanservice" you're talking about isn't quite a universally-agreed upon thing. Laughing
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
No movement is monolithic and I am going based on what I have mostly seen on feminist websites, blogs, and twitter feeds. From what I have seen defense of fanservice aimed at men is rare while criticism of it is very common. Of course everyone dislikes something but to try to prevent it from getting made is taking it rather far.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I get that feminists don't like fanservice but the idea that only the things they like have the right to exist is the mentality of a tyrant.

Lesbian Bear Storm is one of the most feminist anime ever made, and naked teenage girls lick "nectar" off each others' lower bodies about once an episode (in a way that makes Kill la Kill's fanservice look tame), so maybe this "war on fanservice" you're talking about isn't quite a universally-agreed upon thing. Laughing

Never mind that some of ANN's female reviewers have also been positive to titty shows for men, like High School DxD and Monster Musume, just to mention two shows off hand, and most of the time outside of that takes more of an "not for me, but otherwise OK" stance unless the show gets molesty and creepy about it.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
That's not true. Feminists fight to change the perception that feminine jobs--from taking care of ones own children to careers like social work, teaching and nursing--are actually egalitarian jobs.
I really don't believe that at all. I don't see any government grants, special scholarships or gender quotas to get men into careers that are dominated by women.

Whose argument?
The entire feminist establishment. Ranging from academics in the social sciences and gender studies programs across to the world to popular feminist blogs like Buzzfeed, Jezebel, the Mary Sue, EverydayFeminism, and to the feminist-friendly news outlets like Huffpost, Vox, Slate, Salon, Daily Beast etc etc.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I really don't believe that at all. I don't see any government grants, special scholarships or gender quotas to get men into careers that are dominated by women.

Just because the government isn't doing anything about it doesn't mean it's not part of the feminist agenda. The feminist movement certainly does more for breaching stereotypes and gender roles that affect both men and women than men complaining about feminism have ever achieved (mainly because these men spend a lot of time complaining about how they perceive feminism doesn't fix their problems which could be better used actually organizing themselves and contributing to tearing down those the systemic problems that maintain the gender gap.)
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Just because the government isn't doing anything about it doesn't mean it's not part of the feminist agenda.
Actually, it does mean that, because the big F is a huge government-sponsored lobby. There are countless grants and scholarships and money being given out to all sorts of feminist groups and initiatives and basically none of that goes to help men in any way. All it does is fuel absolutely ridiculous BS like "feminist glaciology" research.

CrowLia wrote:
The feminist movement certainly does more for breaching stereotypes and gender roles that affect both men and women than men complaining about feminism
The big F has LITERALLY created a gender stereotype of men being toxic oppressors that want to crush everyone beneath their heels. It's called the concept of the "patriarchy." How do you even try to "dismantle" gender roles while ascribing all the world's evil to one of the sexes?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
The big F has LITERALLY created a gender stereotype of men being toxic oppressors that want to crush everyone beneath their heels. It's called the concept of the "patriarchy."

WHAT? Patriarchy has to do with society, not individual people. Men aren't toxic, masculinity itself as defined by society is toxic because it restricts what is acceptable behavior for men.

For example, patriarchy isn't just "women who get married are expected to quit their careers and pump out babies, so unmarried women are considered to have less career advancement potential than unmarried men", it's also "a husband who make less money than his wife is a failure as a man". The former negatively impacts women more than men, but the latter negatively impacts everybody.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
The big F has LITERALLY created a gender stereotype of men being toxic oppressors that want to crush everyone beneath their heels. It's called the concept of the "patriarchy." How do you even try to "dismantle" gender roles while ascribing all the world's evil to one of the sexes?

Funny how this started with feminists criticizing this comic for stereotyping men as being rude and entitled and incapable of treating women with respect unless they are sexually attracted to them (followed by lots of men supporting the comic's theory????), yet somehow it's feminism forcing bad stereotypes on men.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Quote:
For example, patriarchy isn't just "women who get married are expected to quit their careers and pump out babies, so unmarried women are considered to have less career advancement potential than unmarried men", it's also "a husband who make less money than his wife is a failure as a man". The former negatively impacts women more than men, but the latter negatively impacts everybody.

This pretty much, couldn't have said it better. And feminism has done way more about fighting back both of these stereotypes and bringing attention to the gender bias that affects both sides of the equation while men continue to whine about how feminism oppresses them
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4