• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Site Horror Manga Gets TV Anime in 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
The series is basically "Madoka Magica" if you injected it with "Elfen Lied's" Everyone's-An-Asshole Nihilism.

Wow. Shocked That sounds incredibly toxic. May have to keep my eye out for this one. Cool

Same, to be honest. For the sake of the children. Laughing

LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
I'm sorry am being negative but in my opinion I hate those dark/deconstruction magical girl anime shows like Madoka Magica, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, and Magical Girl Raising Project. To me Madoka Magica is infamous for being the How to manual of How to Kill Your Favorite Childhood Genre. Magical Girl Apocalypse/Magical Girl Site along with other three I mention are a disgrace the Magical Girl genre.

I don't see why they can't coexist. We have shows like Precure and other great, more wholesome, magical girl shows still being made, so nothing has been killed. The genre is just expanding to cover a larger audience. I, personally, am a big fan of both. I am watching Card Captor Sakura right now and it's an absolute pleasure, but I also really enjoy darker anime. For what it's worth, I don't really think Madoka nor Yuki Yuna are that dark, and they are certainly not nihilistic. Both of them are fairly positive and optimistic thematically, as far as I'm concerned.
Ringking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:17 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I don't see why they can't coexist. We have shows like Precure and other great, more wholesome, magical girl shows still being made, so nothing has been killed. The genre is just expanding to cover a larger audience. I, personally, am a big fan of both. I am watching Card Captor Sakura right now and it's an absolute pleasure, but I also really enjoy darker anime. For what it's worth, I don't really think Madoka nor Yuki Yuna are that dark, and they are certainly not nihilistic. Both of them are fairly positive and optimistic thematically, as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno, when you factor inspoiler[ the movie], I don't think Madoka had spoiler[a single positive outcome.]
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I dunno, when you factor inspoiler[ the movie], I don't think Madoka had spoiler[a single positive outcome.]

Eh, I'm still hoping whatever comes out of the concept movie will fix that (if it ever actually happens). But I have a feeling a certain character will just be let off the hook in the end, which isn't a good outcome to me, honestly.

On another note, having just read the first Raising Project novel, I don't think it's really nihilistic either. It's more about how a few had people can ruin a good thing, and how the ideal of the pure and perfect magical girl can't really be lived up to. The anime didn't do as good a job at conveying that, in my opinion. But the novel leaves the impression that a difference can actually be made.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
NateSelwyn25 wrote:

Violence, gore and I think there were a couple of nude scenes? About on the level of Go Nagai. But I might be confused with another title, I only peeked through the first volume and then kinda forgot it existed.
Yea I went through the first chapter a little to rapey for me so guess this is a pass.

Unless it's airing late night or on cable, I think the rapey scenes will get toned down. "Akame Ga Kill" had a scene were a girl was raped by a dog, Syura raped a woman on her husband's grave, and he had a pedophile clown lackey that raped the woman's daughter. Even those were too extreme for the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2