• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mr. Osomatsu Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
What I loved the most about the selective coloring was that even when the “current” era was entirely colorized, it still looked pretty dull and ashy, at least from Iyami’s perspective. It’s not until he sees grown-up Okiku again that the color palette becomes lush and vibrant, like he’s gained a brand new lease on life.

God, this episode was wonderful. Definitely the best episode this season, maybe even of the series.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm disappointed in you, Chibita. You used to be better than this.

I think it’s because Iyami’s just a bad influence. He’s always a decent guy when Iyami’s not around.

Man, this episode must’ve been a treat for the fujoshi. I mean, the Matsus in nothing but their underwear, bathing in and splashing each other with chocolate. What other audience could that have been for?

I know it’s kinda jarring seeing this right after the previous episode, but having the Matsus at their most salty and bitter was just priceless.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dayon's biggest loss is no doubt the (almost) return of the mighty Proper-Rangers, reminding me how much I miss the over-the-top craziness of season one segments like the Mad Max parody or Iyami's kart race.
That kart racing episode was so good, I wish we could get another episode like that.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, what I would give to be a fly on the wall during Miyu Irino’s recording of the Derpy Totty sketch. I really doubt that he’d have been able to do that in one take.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Karapino extending the same dick joke too far

Heh, I see what you did there...

While I really identified with the 8000-fold pollen tsunami, I think my favorite one was the bakery tour. Something about them all in their little round white hats getting excited about and actually learning was just adorable.

Totoko in the maze was surprisingly kind of scary, for anime. And of course Proper Rangers are always for NEET justice!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
I really did laugh at the Proper Rangers bit, first at them being so lazy as to rely on whatever they were on at the time to get them to places, and then as it became clear they were not actually getting anywhere via it kind of going in circles. Even it going on for far too long was funny, although maybe another show that uses that trick is leaking into me.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
[I think my favorite one was the bakery tour. Something about them all in their little round white hats getting excited about and actually learning was just adorable.

I liked the end best. Wink And yes, Proper-Rangers made me laugh a lot.

But overall i was so distracted by Dayon's face that i probably missed half of what else happened. Need to rewatch it ignoring him. Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I found myself laughing a lot in this episode. Pretty sure I actually laughed out loud at the Karapino segment.

Quote:
Totty turning himself into a derpy 2D version of himself that looks like a child's doodle

I wonder if this was a small homage to Parappa the Rapper since Irino voices Parappa.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
I think I enjoyed the episode more while reading the review than I did while I was actually watching it. Smile I really kept expecting them to send all of them off, and waiting for that shoe to drop kept me interested. In retrospect though, it really was a very intriguing segment, and there was something oddly satisfying (which is probably not the right word) about listening to Matsuyo and Choromatsu having a normal conversation as relative equals, even if the topic was completely abnormal.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
As I said in the begging of this season, I think the 1(or 2 I suppose) story episodes are the best.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With everyone having more or less essential assets to contribute, it seems that governing themselves has actually brought out the best in our no longer useless NEETs. But all it takes to disrupt the new order is the discovery of the one thing from civilization no one wants to live without.

Wow, I actually never thought of it that way. That’s interesting, and brilliant if that was their intention.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The meta skits in this season really make me wonder what’s going on in the creators’ minds during the making of this season. Skits like these make me feel like they’re almost resentful of their success, like that extreme fame was suffocating them in a way. I mean, it’s not like they were actively seeking fame with this show; they just wanted to make a dumb show about dumb NEETs. This immense popularity was just sort of... thrust upon them.

I kind of feel for these guys, actually. I mean, I don’t know how I would be able to deal with gaining all that fame seemingly overnight (and whatever emotional rollercoaster they might be feeling from it all practically disappearing, also seemingly, overnight). These guys don’t have it easy, that’s for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too crazy about either Dayon or Iyami, but found both of these sketches pretty interesting.

I'm curious as to why they made such a point of the alt-Dayon reading the Talmud. To show he's educated or to show he's Jewish? oO And that park! The lethal looking playground thing and its odd rules ("No sleds allowed. Don't live here. No flying."). Anyway, I think the Dayons swapped places after the bath...
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
This week's penultimate episode was great, though I'm not sure how to feel about next week's. A part of me hopes that it won't be another "PSYCHE! You thought the Matsus would actually improve themselves but they'll be NEETS forever" finale, but I'd still like to one more burst of balls-to-the-wall insanity before the series ends.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
If there is going to be another season, then a return to form next week would be fine. If this is the last season, then having a sincere ending would be wonderful. It would be like the final end for this stage of their life, you could even get a new series in years time that is about them at an older age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6