• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Violet Evergarden Begins on Netflix in Some Territories, Not U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Years of pent up frustration. It is so rarely we get anything before the US and the first time ever for a simulcast I’m pretty sure.

And a lot of people have sympathized with that availability issue. I don't think that makes it okay to mock other people though.

Yttrbio wrote:
It's just weird that the frustration is directed towards US fans instead of companies. I mean, was it a common thing when you complained "but we want it here" that US fans would be like "haha, sucks to be you lol but I enjoy how unsatisfied you feel!!"? It might have been, I don't know. I tried not to take that point of view, but maybe other people did? Because that's the only reason I can think of for folks ragging on US fans.

Yeah, this is what I don't get. Have US fans regularly mocked other regions when they didn't get stuff? I haven't. And I haven't seen it happen, personally. Maybe it has, in which case, I apologize to everyone who was on the receiving end of that kind of childish behavior, but I haven't seen it at all. And I don't think an-eye-for-an-eye is a good way to live your life anyway.

a) Schadenfreuden.
b) I'm evidently not alone in being irked by the flood of complaints when one show in a blue moon is available anywhere other than the US first. The best was when Tim Maughan reviewed Redline based on a preview screening and people were like "Why have you seen this? Where are the torrents?". Even companies like Madman have been passive aggressive about this in the past:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, something similar happened with Dog Days'' anime on Crunchyroll. Available? Only in a few small Southest Asian countries... Of course, pretty sure most of us who were fans of the previous seasons watched it anyway.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Americans sympathize with the people who can't have access to what they have anime wise? I wouldn't bet much on that statement. More like they don't really care.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Corporate Greed Strikes again.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
@GoldCrusader

You are probably correct. On the other hand I don't remember anyone on the ANN forums going:
Quote:
SUCKS!!!! DOESN'T IT!!!!!
or something similar either when the subject came up.

If there is any lack of honest sympathy on the subject it is because people outside the US are constantly complaining about here. This is regardless of the fact that fans in the US (or anyone else on ANN) are not the ones causing you to lack access and have no ability to change this.

The bottom line: Yes it is a shame the rest of the world can't get all the anime the US does and vice versa. No this was not our decision and we can't fix it for you. If you are just venting on the subject, allow us to vent also.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
It's not hate or spite for the US viewers, you don't have fault on anything, it's the corporations that don't give a shit about the rest of the world....

BUT, ONE season that you don't get ONE show... and everybody loses their minds, the breakdown, the salt, the hate towards Netflix because they didn't gave you ONE show it's amazing, from the perspective of someone like me that lives in the other side of the continent this is hilarious, for once we get something that you don't and everything just goes to hell, like, damn.

I wonder what would you people react if you were in our situation, No Funimation, no Anime Strike (I don't know how Prime works here but I don't think they gave a shit), no Hidive and don't even half the catalog on Crunchyroll and Netflix, I really wonder what would you do.

Again, it's not against you but your reaction to not having ONE show is so out of proportion that is hilarious from our perspective.

You are missing the point. And to Shiroi Hane, GoldCrusader, and everyone else too. It's not about not getting one show, it's WHY this specific show is unavailable here, but not elsewhere, and trying to figure it out. I don't think the response has been all that over-the-top, in fact, the most over-the-top thing here is the utter lack of simple decency and sympathy by everyone who literally just came into this thread to mock US viewers. Grow-the-hell-up. On the US side, it's been mostly a mix of confusion and frustration because it is hard to rationalize from any logistical perspective.

Some shows simply don't get simulcast anywhere, period. Sometimes we have situations like with The Great Passage. This isn't about not getting one show. It's about trying to figure out WHY we aren't getting this specific one because it's a really strange situation. I would be just as confused and curious about this if it was flipped and the US was getting this simulcasted on Netflix while other territories weren't. People outside the US in this thread are the ones blowing things out of proportion.

(For the record I am streaming this with friends from Canada. It has no effect on my ability to watch it, it's just a really weird and curiosity inspiring situation. I have only been commenting like this in the first place because the grossness of many comments here made me frustrated and confused by how mean and thoughtless people are.)
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
You are making a lot of assumptions about people's viewing habits and why some people will prefer watching shows simulcast as they come out instead of waiting to binge shows.
I prefer watching shows week-to-week because I like the communal experience of discussion around a show, with time to review and discuss each episode before the next episode airs. I can only speak for myself, but if you look on this website you will find that many fans prefer to watch anime this way: it's why ANN has Daily Streaming Reviews with message boards. My suspicion is that Little Witch Academia fell by the wayside because fans didn't have that review and discussion period, which includes discussion on Twitter and other social media sites like Reddit as well as episodic streaming reviews on this and other anime sites and blogs. It didn't have time to marinate and become part of the public discourse.
I don't watch shows week-to-week because I want an excuse to pirate them--It's much easier to watch them via legal means when they are available, anyway. I don't know why you would even assume that people want to watch shows weekly *because they want an excuse to pirate, rather than the other way around. Playing a show off a Roku app is way easier than pirating is.
Netflix never seems to understand the perspective of those of us who prefer watching & discussing a show weekly, and why we prefer it to bingeing.

One domain: [Bootleg streaming site link removed ~Zalis]
Top level might change every so often in order to escape DMCA and other copyright legislation, but it is, otherwise, always there. Also, torrenting is damned easy, and getting styled soft subs to display correctly is a trivial matter, given how long the fan subbing community have been at it and writing documentation about it. I'm not gonna say it's easier than just forking the subscription and having it fed via a set-top app, but where cost is concerned, the average pirate--or in this case, slighted-paying-viewer-too-easily-turned-pirate-because-they-can't-wait-a-season--is very able and willing to endure that extra overhead. So when some fool comes on here and says, "Lol, fudge Netflix; I'mma pirate this shit. Peace!" I go, "Lol, one could write books about your integrity."

Comparatively speaking, I have more respect for the ones here writing Netflix and telling them to get their shit straight. I may not relate much to how terrible it's supposed to be to have to wait another season or why--and believe me: I've been anticipating Violet Evergarden virtually since it was announced--and despise the role that fandom expectation has on the burdens sustained by the creators, but at least they're [expletive] trying.

...But I can grant the weekly community argument on, well...a community level. I still debate friends of mine on the merits and themes of certain works--sometimes during air time, and sometimes long after the fact. There-in lies my lack of understanding, though: Why can you not have that community interaction anyway? Nobody is stopping any of you from coming back here when Spring hits to discuss the thing and the experience it gave to you, even if you had it all at once. The fact that Little Witch Academia passed without much notice suggests, to me, a failure in the collective attention span of the fan base sustained by its own collective sense of entitlement: It didn't drop when they wanted it, in the way they wanted it, so to hell with it! It's...sad, to say the least.

I was honestly hoping that Netflix's machinations would force the community to adapt, socially and practically, from this instant-gratification model with which they've been spoiled by Crunchyroll and Funimation. Considering Netflix's pedigree with Violet Evergarden in other territories, though, they're probably going to fall in line here, as well. It's only a matter of time.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
@Gatherum

Part of the fun is reading the comment threads for specific shows on places like MAL and Youtube as they air(Made in Abyss was pretty good example of that type of show...). Those threads will be pretty dead three months or half a year down the line so you lose that aspect, aside that they lose a lot of weight should you read them long afterwards. Not to talk about spoilers should you come across those threads before watching the show itself...

PS, might want to edit out that address.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
To have most of the world's territories have simultaneous access to 90+% of the site's anime catalog, which includes weekly simulcasts/simuldubs, shouldn't be an issue for a 10-figure company.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

What sounds better to you?
1) A world where American viewers mock you every time you don't get something because you did the same thing to us?
2) Or a world where American viewers sympathize with you every time you don't get something because you were also a decent human being to us?

This sounds very nice and pretty, except Latin American users were complaining about Funimation locking us out of half of every season's offerings for years before the Funiroll marriage. Even to this date, most of CR's catalogue additions, including pre-funiroll funimation shows are never available to us. For example, I can't watch any of the earlier Garo anime or the original Rage of Bahamut, nor the original Basilisk. Heck, even in Netflix, our anime library is distinctly limited, we don't get any Funimation shows that are available in Netflix US (say Psycho Pass or Attack on Titan). In those instances, your "decent human being" Americans simply ignore those complaints. Like Shiroi Hane mentioned, there's a bit of schadenfreudian pleasure in watching this collective meltdown, since most Americans hardly seem to care -let alone sympathize- for any region being affected as long as they get their goods.

As far as I can tell, this particular show isn't actually available in Mexico (if it is, it is expertly hidden). What I do find kind of funny about this shitstorm is that a very short while ago, some folks still rabidly defended Netflix's model and grasped at straws for excuses, the most popular one being "but making a dub takes time!!!!!!!", and yet this show is getting simuldubbed to at least 3 different languages as far as has been reported in this thread, so there goes that argument I guess
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
This sounds very nice and pretty, except Latin American users were complaining about Funimation locking us out of half of every season's offerings for years before the Funiroll marriage.

Yes, I know, you have complained about this every chance you got almost to the point of soapboxing. I don't remember anyone making fun of you because of this.

Quote:
In those instances, your "decent human being" Americans simply ignore those complaints.

Just what exactly did you expect us to do about it? Storm the castle gates at Funimation and demand equity for the whole world? There is a limit to how many ways there are to say "sorry to hear that". After a while compassion fatigue sets in.

Quote:
some folks still rabidly defended Netflix's model and grasped at straws for excuses

You do realize, don't you, that those were different people than those posting now? The people who like Netfilx's model don't have any complaints at the moment.

I repeat for clarity, no one here was responsible for Funimation or any other streaming service failing to stream worldwide, and no one here can do anything about it.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Although to be fair, the mental image of fans protesting region-locking outside of Funimation, Crunchyroll, or Netflix's headquarters or their anime convention booths is hilarious (but that's because I don't work for these companies). But if it actually happens, then we will have entered a new era in our political economy, and I'm not sure our current sociological or economic tools would be able to explain it properly.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Quote:
In those instances, your "decent human being" Americans simply ignore those complaints.

Just what exactly did you expect us to do about it? Storm the castle gates at Funimation and demand equity for the whole world? There is a limit to how many ways there are to say "sorry to hear that". After a while compassion fatigue sets in.

I'm just responding to relyat's hypothetical scenario in which "decent human beings" should show sympathy for Americans who can't watch Evergarden so Americans may show sympathy for others in the future, a proposal I find incredibly naîve considering Americans never show any sympathy when other regions are locked out of content by arbitrary corporate politics.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
...considering Americans never show any sympathy when other regions are locked out of content by arbitrary corporate politics.

[Trump]That's what you get for living in a shit-hole![/Trump]

Heh. Couldn't resist.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
@CrowLia

While I agree with you that there hasn't been a lot of sympathy spoken about other countries, it hasn't been entirely absent. On my part, I can do without the sympathy as it really doesn't help the situation. What caused me to post in this thread was the rather joyously expressed schadenfreude. I can do without that as well. It doesn't help the situation and causes unnecessary hard feelings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8