• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2018 Reader Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShyViolet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I tripped up over the "how many manga do you buy yearly" question; I wasn't sure if it wanted how many series, or volumes (I went with a estimate of volumes). Smile
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
^ It's presumably volumes, considering you would count the same way when it comes to the Blu-ray/DVD question. Basically count the number of releases you purchase in a year.

I'm curious if the removed site option in question is a part of a certain "service" with the referenced alphabetical positioning. Laughing If so, I probably would have voted for it. Embarassed

390R wrote:
Though I do actively follow this site I completely despise it and the people who seem to run it and would greatly prefer to give my views to another site if I could find one that covered the topics I am interested in from Sankaku Complex.

Just want to say that I completely agree with you on this one. Also as a note their recent site redesign really makes the site look like crap, so at the very least it gives me less incentive to visit it. Beside the content being questionable, now it's also painful to look at. The site serves the purpose of cheap entertainment at best.

Also would like to say that "Smart TV" could also be a potential device option. I have a few apps on my Samsung TV that I use for anime streaming. (One of which was missing from that portion of the poll, TubiTV. I'm not entirely upset here, since their video player has questionable functionality.)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys! Just wanted to add that I'll be following this thread for any feedback re: Interest and/or The List column. Always interested in hearing what you want to read more/less of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Also not sure if Linux was included with Desktop (PC) or not, but all I've got is Linux,...
Zin5ki wrote:

I'm in the same position, and I selected that option. It's the same thing, only cheaper still...

The question is about the device, not the OS.
Windows, OS/2, DOS, Linux, BSD, whatever... it's still a PC.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
ShyViolet wrote:
I tripped up over the "how many manga do you buy yearly" question; I wasn't sure if it wanted how many series, or volumes (I went with a estimate of volumes). Smile

Volumes was correct.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
I feel really sorry for you guys, that it didn't even occur to you to include "walking" as a valid option to go to work/school/whatever. Or maybe even riding a bicycle. So I had to click on "commute", whatever that means in this context.

I've made a note to add it next year.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Songster01 wrote:
I am glad you didn't limit yourself to the gender binary completely, even if "other" is vague. However, I was surprised there were no questions about sexual orientation or racial/ethnic identity.

Those aren't typical questions for reader surveys.
Gender and age are your primary demographic groups.

So far I've never needed to know what % of our readers are x-race or x-sexuality.For our editorial needs, it's relatively irrelevant. For our advertising needs, if it starts coming up regularly from advertisers we'll consider adding it in the future.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
DarthSomebody wrote:
When asked if I speak Japanese, I was missing the option that I know it a little bit (1 year at uni), but I'm not actively learning the language any more.

I've added an option for this.
daishi808

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
Not going to lie about the ad blocker, I use it for the fact that I've gotten a drive by download attack in the past (about a year ago) from the site from a 3rd party ad provider. Prior to that I had it whitelisted. If I could get some kind of assurance the ads weren't 3rd party hosted I'd be keen to the idea of re-whitelisting.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
daishi808 wrote:
Not going to lie about the ad blocker, I use it for the fact that I've gotten a drive by download attack in the past (about a year ago) from the site from a 3rd party ad provider. Prior to that I had it whitelisted. If I could get some kind of assurance the ads weren't 3rd party hosted I'd be keen to the idea of re-whitelisting.

I wish. Advertising networks are a fact of life for online publishers. We're pretty picky about our networks, but there's no way to not have networks.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I commute via public transportation.

I'm a big manga fan, so I'd love to see Right Turn Only come back, or a similar regular manga column.

I'd love a feature that would allow me to check which streaming sites are hosting which anime, and, if ongoing, which day a new episode goes up.

Thanks for taking feedback. I think you guys do a fantastic job! Good luck getting more ad revenue!
daishi808

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:02 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
daishi808 wrote:

I wish. Advertising networks are a fact of life for online publishers. We're pretty picky about our networks, but there's no way to not have networks.

I decided to give it a shot and unwhitelist ANN after wrote that post. 1 minute before writing this post my AV software blocked a drive by download & fake java website redirect from a 3rd party ad on the site. I know you guys rely on ad revenue but I can't just let it go.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
daishi808 wrote:
I decided to give it a shot and unwhitelist ANN after wrote that post. 1 minute before writing this post my AV software blocked a drive by download & fake java website redirect from a 3rd party ad on the site. I know you guys rely on ad revenue but I can't just let it go.

Where are you located? No one has reported anything like that to us lately. Usually if someone manages to get Drive-by-download or bad javascript through the network censors, our users will report it right away.

If you have any info about it, can you report it here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26831 ? Name of the network it was on, screenshot, name of the advertiser, etc...

Any of that would be useful in helping us report it to the network.

-t
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The lack of the Nintendo Switch under the list of consoles seems like kind of a weird omission. It's also become my favorite device for streaming video whenever I'm not in front of my TV, despite that only Hulu is available on it at the moment.

Also, I just wanted to note that I'm a paid subscriber and have disabled most ads, but I keep uBlock Origin enabled on here anyway. I want to support you guys, but I still don't trust advertising companies. Even if there are no malicious ads right now, there's no guarantee there won't be in the future, and I know you have little control over that.
Serenata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
About Reviews, I enjoy reading them, sometimes they talk about details that I've missed... But you know it's okay to drop out some series, I feel bad for you guys having to review Black Clover every week for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6