• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manami-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
@ previous posters, the battle of Amritsar and then the 2nd book are going to be covered by the part 2 movies releasing in 2019. 3 movies the length of 12 episodes in total.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
This remake is an utter waste of good material and a seriously bad alternate version. I understand that the makers are faced against the huge expectations from fans, such as myself, since the original is a masterpiece, but this remake never had anything to offer other than upgraded art and animation. It's already bad that they can't make a good cliffhanging ending, but to think they threw in characters in a rush such as Mittermeyer, OvR, Attemborough and Poplan without much of a build-up just to make them relevant for the upcoming sequel movies. Smfh...

This is sad for the franchise. Kaikou is nothing more than a cash-milking remake to appeal to the newer viewers who do not have time or who do not have any interest to see the old-school masterpiece.
Manami-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
This remake is an utter waste of good material and a seriously bad alternate version. I understand that the makers are faced against the huge expectations from fans, such as myself, since the original is a masterpiece, but this remake never had anything to offer other than upgraded art and animation.

Well that was the point, keep the same story as the source material but update the art and animation for modern viewers. That's what most OVA fans were asking for before the show aired, afterall, and DNT (not flawlessly, but more than well enough) delivered on it.

What do you think is so bad about the new series?

Quote:
It's already bad that they can't make a good cliffhanging ending, but to think they threw in characters in a rush such as Mittermeyer, OvR, Attemborough and Poplan without much of a build-up just to make them relevant for the upcoming sequel movies. Smfh...

They introduced these characters (apart from Dusty who isn't in the first book) when the novel said they should be introduced. It wouldn't better to skip these introductions and have these characters come out of nowhere with no introduction later on. Recall also the first OVA episodes which introduced dozens of characters with no buildup, often even no dialogue, and no reason to care about them yet.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 12,

By the way, how do fleets keep on sneaking up on each other? I got the convoy was ambushed because the enemy warped in on them, but what about the 7th fleet that appeared at the end. It's like radar can't detect anyone until they are already shooting at you, not even Yang knew they were there and they were his allies.

Radar is useless, actually, since both sides have stealth countermeasures. (Yang took advantage of exactly that fact when he evacuated El Facil; he turned off his stealth devices, betting that Imperial operators would shrug off any blips picked up on radar, because enemy vessels never, ever turn up on radar.

Tanaka gives very little detail on how the fleets' recon operations work, but this is how I visualized it while reading the novels: No matter how huge these fleets are, the spaces in which they are operating are immensely larger, to the point that finding a "nearby" enemy fleet is probably like looking for a mote of dust floating somewhere in a huge auditorium--and that dust mote is proactively using all kinds of stealth devices to try and avoid detection.

The fleets scan likely regions as well as they can with all the tools at their disposal, and they send out tons of recon craft to go looking for each other. But in regions of space as enormous as what they're traversing, finding the enemy and gauging its size is still an extremely difficult job. They might only get scattered glimpses of one another in the days and hours leading up to an actual encounter.

I think Reinhard's opening battle against the three fleets makes a lot more sense if you take these limitations into account. Nobody knew with 100% certainty where the other fleets were, but they had a decent idea. The Alliance forces therefore had their attention focused along Reinhard's expected trajectory. When Reinhard made the unexpected move of charging ahead at full speed when a normal commander would have withdrawn, the Alliance forces didn't realize until it was too late that he wasn't where he was "supposed" to be.
timber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 12

Lots of high quality visuals and lot of ships everywhere. Shocked
But that's it for the good parts. It may be the season finale but seems to me than the scenarist was already on holidays. And that dogfight, the fighters movements are so awkward, seems to me that the 3D animators where so occupied filling the screen with ships that they got to spend maybe 10 minutes trying to move those fighters. Anime cry
VerQuality

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Tanaka gives very little detail on how the fleets' recon operations work, but this is how I visualized it while reading the novels: No matter how huge these fleets are, the spaces in which they are operating are immensely larger, to the point that finding a "nearby" enemy fleet is probably like looking for a mote of dust floating somewhere in a huge auditorium--and that dust mote is proactively using all kinds of stealth devices to try and avoid detection.

The fleets scan likely regions as well as they can with all the tools at their disposal, and they send out tons of recon craft to go looking for each other. But in regions of space as enormous as what they're traversing, finding the enemy and gauging its size is still an extremely difficult job. They might only get scattered glimpses of one another in the days and hours leading up to an actual encounter.

I think Reinhard's opening battle against the three fleets makes a lot more sense if you take these limitations into account. Nobody knew with 100% certainty where the other fleets were, but they had a decent idea. The Alliance forces therefore had their attention focused along Reinhard's expected trajectory. When Reinhard made the unexpected move of charging ahead at full speed when a normal commander would have withdrawn, the Alliance forces didn't realize until it was too late that he wasn't where he was "supposed" to be.

This is definitely the sense I got from the books as well, and I think the OVAs did a decent job showing that as well (admittedly more as a time and effort saving measure that let them draw less ships in each scene, but it worked). One of my biggest gripes about this new adaption is how they cram every scene with ships and lasers so it just turns into a visual mess with no rhyme or reason. As I'm watching the battles, I want to shout out how the ships are always too close, how one exploding would rip apart a good 10 other ships with shrapnel.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the thing is, is that as a season finale, it's sorely lacking, by the very nature of not even being the end of the first book. But as an episode in and of itself, it's quite excellent. I especially loved some of the musical choices and the intense combat. And Olivier Poplin is probably my favorite LoGH character.

But much like it's a failure as a season finale, it reflects poorly on DNT in general, because the show as it is now is but a small fraction of LoGH as a whole. I can enjoy it, because I know there's more, but a newcomer will have to judge it by only what we get in these 12 episodes until more are produced, and I can't imagine they think that well of it. It sits as a bowl of potential, but it's a lot of ingredients looking to be made into something more. That they couldn't even get to the end of the first volume is sort of pitiful. All they needed was another episode, maybe two.

I think the OVA's presentation is a little better overall, since it already fleshes out some of these cameo characters before they appear in the books, but as long as they continue to make more of this version, I'll watch it, because it has its own advantages (less filler material from the side stories inserted in where it doesn't help), and it's bound to be more affordable than Sentai Filmworks' monstrosity of a release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Manami-san wrote:
@ previous posters, the battle of Amritsar and then the 2nd book are going to be covered by the part 2 movies releasing in 2019. 3 movies the length of 12 episodes in total.

So sometime around 2020, maybe, at the earliest, for people outside of Japan to legally see more? I'll have forgotten all about it by then. I was having trouble caring toward the end of this, but they've just killed any interest I had with this move.

I'll stick with the original OVA, thanks.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Didn't have great hopes for this remake and after putting it off for months finally binge watched it. Even my low expectations wernt met.

* Battles are shallow slugging matches of pew pew lasers with no fluid action with the exception of the fighter combat right at the end of the series. Theres no portrayal of the differing combat roles of the ships in battle (and they seem to have borrowed the shields from DS9, sometimes present usually absent while the admirals yell about diverting power).

* Character designs have lost all personality, whereas in the original the vast cast were all visually distinctive in this remake many characters have been de-aged (from 30's and 40's to all looking like they are in their 20's) and neither sides roster are visually distinct due to the much more muted palette.

* The Abridged nature has led to the almost complete omitting of the tactics involved, for example Yangs strategy in the battle of El Facil turning off the stealth devices on his ships so that they would look like a diversion and his relationship with the commander. The reasons for the formations and their effect on the battles (the classic block which easily conveyed fleet positions now relegated to brief flashes of dots on a screen). The remake is almost entirely focusing on the two leads personal relationships.

* The cutting of the hand to hand combat that the series was famous for and the change in the portrayal of the Rosen Ritter from noble knights/Ronin who had lost their home to childish and tattooed weight pumpers.

* That the series relies on its viewers having seen the original, for example failing to explain how Iserlohn fortress functioned with the floating weapons and liquid surface.

* The romance between Kircheis and Reinhards sister is being downplayed. Also the Imperial chiefs of staff have barely appeared and also how much of a pariah Annerose is in court and her rivals attempting to kill her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5