• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Superhero Ouroboros

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
It is not because people's standards are low that other people think more highly of the show and its characters than you; they just genuinely find them more interesting and emotionally affecting than you and others do.

You could say this about pretty much any form of media that hits it big these days, because that's how these franchises are designed. My problem with that is that the anime fans who seem to be the most vocal about how critics have a "bias" against Franxx tend to also be the people most likely to dismiss statements like

Quote:
It is not because people's standards are low that other people think more highly of Grey's Anatomy and its characters than you; they just genuinely find them more interesting and emotionally affecting than you and others do.

with the same kinds of criticisms of Grey's Anatomy's fans as people are leveling at Franxx's fans. The idea that emotionally identifying with a show's characters is a valid reason to like a series never seems to be universally applied.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
^I have not argued that critics of the show are biased against it, and I have stated previously that demanding “objectivity” - or reviews without opinions on the show, to put it another way - from reviewers and critics is not fair or sensible. I would not oppose pointing out the hypocrisy of an individual asking people to respect their taste when they don’t do the same for others, but I don’t think attacking the taste of and looking down on fans of the show (or any show for that matter) helps get people to listen to and engage with the very real and valid concerns of many of the show’s critics - not that most critics do so. That respecting people’s tastes is too often not applied universally does not mean we shouldn’t try.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^I have not argued that critics of the show are biased against it, and I have stated previously that demanding “objectivity” - or reviews without opinions on the show, to put it another way - from reviewers and critics is not fair or sensible. I would not oppose pointing out the hypocrisy of an individual asking people to respect their taste when they don’t do the same for others, but I don’t think attacking the taste of and looking down on fans of the show (or any show for that matter) helps get people to listen to and engage with the very real and valid concerns of many of the show’s critics - not that most critics do so. That respecting people’s tastes is too often not applied universally does not mean we shouldn’t try.

Apologies if the way I phrased it made it look like I was talking about you directly, rather than being about how the corollary to the (valid) observations you made is that fans of relatively popular anime often dismiss critic's opinions of the shows they like as "out of touch" or "politically biased", then turn around and deride the fans of other (more "mainstream") popular media.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've could have agreed more than when Jacob was talking about the Ep 14 Ichigo reaction being completely different if the genders were switched.

And for the record, I hope you guys do keep checking in on Franxx every now and then on these podcasts, but I would totally understand if you're just done. I'm still sticking with the show because I want to see how it all wraps up, even if it means I might be disappointed.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have any idea which Evangelion scene Jacob was referring to that took place in a hot spring and was one of the most memorable scenes? Thanks
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
So I watched Batman Ninja and it was pretty good. I'm not really up on the current canon, so I don't know why Batman's identity is no longer secret, nor how Robin, Red Robin, and Red Hood are related. I don't really care much, but I do have one question: why does Robin look like he's in the early stages of radiation poisoning? oO Does he look like that in the comics or was that supposed to be some punk version of a chonmage?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
While it's take on heterosexual relationships is interesting and the action is entertaining, both have become really forced and dumb. The show's biggest problem is that it is very alienating to the LGBT community. While it's not a hinderance for the show itself, it does create an uncomfortable entry barrier for what has become a norm.
I don't see any anti-LGBT messages in this show. I mean not everyone is with the person that they love but that is true for about half of the squad members since this show really likes the relationship drama. As for the male-female piloting system which was the only one seen in the first half of the show it was created by an authoritarian dystopian government. If they were trying to promote something with this show I think they would have gone with a much better government.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If the show was something like Seiren, then no one would care that no one was gay, but it turns out that there is a tremendous amount of crossover within the English-speaking anime community between the people who would be interested in watching a show where melodramatic teenagers with relationship problems pilot giant robots in a dystopian world, and the people who would likely become actively pissed off when a show they're watching ends up being about as socially-aware of how LGBT characters would fit into its fictional world as an average episode of Fuller House.
Well so far this show has been emphatic towards all of the characters in the squad and I would be very surprised if that changes. Also aging, family, and romance are major components of this show which are important issues that deeply resonate with a lot of people.
rtil

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
i for one really enjoyed the light-hearted rip on franxx in this podcast - especially on the point that all the themes franxx deals with are treated in the most generic way possible. there's really a lot of potential on the table for franxx to be something special and break out of the mold, but in the end the writing is so milquetoast, almost like they're afraid to take things all the way. the best example was mentioned in the podcast - separating Hiro and 02, which would force the cast to make tough decisions. but it only lasted for about 15 minutes and then everything was "ok" again.

although it looks like they may be separated again shortly.. but the anime is running out of time to do anything truly eye-opening for a 3rd act.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4