• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO: PS4 Enters 'Final Phase of Life Cycle'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
Guess I can grab a cheap one soon then. I assume I'll have to since they're unlikely to make a PS5 backwards compatible, which is just insulting, but inevitable.

PS5 will be backwards compatible just like the PS1 - PS2 was. The PS3 was a major change in CPU/GPU architecture that didn't pan out and the PS4 is just standard x64 PC stuff. There is no alternative CPU architectures now in the performance/power envelope for a console.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok ok so the only thing that has kept consoles alive in this generation is exclusive titles right?

Cause when you consider you had the 1st PS4 with no 4K then the Pro which added 4K with their price points totalling almost £/$1K over that time. So really right now you could build a PC with the same performance as the PS4 using an APU then when the PS5 comes out you could then spend that money on a GPU. Cause to be frank I'm not too sure about the point of consoles anymore.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I didn't bother with a PS3/360 or a PS4/XBone, so the thing still feels brand-new to me. It's really coming up on 5 years already? Sheesh. And yeah, I don't really see much of a reason for a whole new architecture, unless you're essentially talking about a higher-powered PS4 Pro. We're finally starting to hit some diminishing returns as far as graphical performance is concerned.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I still need to get a PS4 cause I got .hack//GU Last Recode. Can it play Blu-Rays?

Yes it can play blu-rays.Including the one's that are put out in japan.So you can legally buy box sets from japan.
Most likely will not see the ps5,if it comes out,until 2021.Maybe late 2020.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
2020 is likely what they are aiming for, though personally I could wait until 2021.

Games take longer to make now where AAA titles are concerned, which is why this gen feels far more barren in terms of title releases. I doubt publishers are in a hurry to move on, aside from tech, which brings us to the point of backwards compatibility...

PS3's Cell processor is not easy to emulate, and on paper has a higher calculation output than even the CPU of the PS4, though the PS4 hardware is overall more modern in a lot of ways. This is what killed BC. Sony only demphasized it for PR reasons for the same reason they poo-pooed rumble early on PS3 when in a lawsuit over the force feedback tech with another company that forced its removal during the launch which they substituted with the Sixaxis and poor rationale.

BC will likely come back with PS5 for PS4 titles, though PS3 might still be hard to emulate, and given that PSOne and 2 titles are already emulated it's probably other legal or resell reasons that Sony keeps it off PS4, considering those who've hacked the firmware confirm digital PS2 titles are Iso dumps and PS2 is actually fully emulated on PS4. But not unlicked for us. Maybe Sony had other plans similar to Microsoft that added more than just emulation, but even trophies etc. according to patents.

BC will also help with transition towards PS5. I'm guessing the PS5 will take lessons from the PS4 Pro and improve performance of PS4 titles as added incentive to upgrade and therefore 3rd parties can still cater to the larger install base.

I expect 4K upscaling, but not the minimum native, which will be 1080p, but smaller titles or PS4 games can be played in native 4K. But it'll be case by case and up to devs whether they target native 4K.

I expect PS5 will have a UHD drive, not only for 4K film, but because games themselves will benefit from the storage, especially as AAA games grow larger and 4K textures become more standard. Digital will still see growth, but games will be much larger to download for the vast majority.

There is also the case of VR where I expect Sony will want to time PS5 launching with or closely followed by a new PSVR with 4K screens, greater field of view and other tracking improvements with a new control solution. I expect the headset itself will also be smaller and less bulky. Considering Valve's tech is open source, Sony could even adopt its lighthouse solution in addition to the camera.

Old PSVR will not have any new titles, but will benefit from BC for its titles with improved performance.

The right VR solution may be a key factor as to when Sony might launch the PS5. A lit of things like that might be occurring behind the scenes, especially with concern as to when they ideal solutions match the ideal consumer price.

Third parties alongside internal studios also need time to have stuff ready for launch to justify the new graphical benchmark, which will likely be Guerrilla Games with Horizon 2 for launch having 4 years to work on it and having additional improvements to Decima following Kojima Productions release of Death Stranding.

So with that in mind, I think Sony might make the PS5 announcement in late 2020, reveal hardware and peripherals final form at E3 2021, and launch late 2021.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I still need to get a PS4 cause I got .hack//GU Last Recode. Can it play Blu-Rays?

Yes it can play blu-rays.Including the one's that are put out in japan.So you can legally buy box sets from japan.

Not if you are from a PAL region you can't. Games might be region free, but blu-rays are not. None of my American or Japanese blu-rays play in my PS4
hikura

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
hikura wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Not if you are from a PAL region you can't. Games might be region free, but blu-rays are not. None of my American or Japanese blu-rays play in my PS4

I live here in north america(united states).I do not have any problems with what i stated(meaning the material i have).I should have stated if you live within the united states you should not have any problems.That is my bad.To my best knowledge japan and the united states share the same region code for blu-rays.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Either Sony plans on doing a Switch like console or has something that goes up and beyond their previous plans "to make a computer, not a console" as they did for the PS3. I also appreciate the breakdown of how the PS5 would be an utmost bomb, especially with VR. I own a PS4, and even as a video game player, I am astonished at how quick the time has passed for this piece of news to be delivered.

Hope you blow my mind like how you did back in 1996 Sony. (still need to get a switch)
anddo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

- PS2 used DVD-style technology, and helped sell Sony's interest in DVD back when nobody outside of the game or computer community knew what the heck the disks were.
- PS3 used Blu-ray disk technology, came along in time to sell Sony's interest in Blu-ray disk (remember that copy of Spiderman 3 you got with your console?), and, like Blu-ray, managed to time itself perfectly to the FCC's changeover to digital HDTV flatscreens.
- PS4 was, probably at some early management stage, supposed to sell 4K UHD, and the Pro has some upgrades to process 4K video--But the idea of following PS2 & 3 and selling a 4K UHD disk player inside your console was sabotaged by nasty in-fights between Sony Interactive Entertainment and Sony Home Entertainment over whose hardware would spoil whose other hardware sales, and SHE doubled down on trying to sell us standalone 4K UHD players instead.

A gross assumption with baseless evidence. The PS4 is officially designated the multimedia machine successor to the PlayStation 3, NOT a tool for format wars. Just because each subsequent PlayStation console coincidentally lined up with the widespread advent of Sony's new formats it doesn't make it an absolute necessity for every console to exist solely due to a new format. PlayStation is fundamentally a video game platform with each succeeding generation leap improving on games performance and graphic fidelity.

That being said, if Sony was going to use any new format for the PS4 it certainly wouldn't have been Ultra HD Blu-ray which is debatably just an overglorified higher storage BD format. That's the biggest flaw in your hypothesis here. A sensible modern successor to the CD-Rom, the DVD and Blu-ray would be Sony and Panasonic's new Archival Disc which is almost completely different in composition from Blu-ray and will very likely be the system standard for the next PlayStation. AD was in development at the same time as the PS4 and couldn't have possibly been finished in time for use by the modern console, but that just about lines up with a 3 year minimum testing period before PlayStation consoles. Compare:

CD-Rom (1982) used in PlayStation (1995)
DVD (1995) used in PlayStation 2 (2000)
Blu-ray (2003) used in PlayStation 3 (2006)
Archival Disc (2014) still unused, presumably for the next PlayStation

Ultra HD Blu-ray is a joke of a format complimentary to Blu-ray and can be directly compared to the peripheral AVCHD which was an overglorified high definition DVD format with an impractical overall data rate capped at 18 MB/s.

Last edited by anddo on Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Ok ok so the only thing that has kept consoles alive in this generation is exclusive titles right?

Cause when you consider you had the 1st PS4 with no 4K then the Pro which added 4K with their price points totalling almost £/$1K over that time. So really right now you could build a PC with the same performance as the PS4 using an APU then when the PS5 comes out you could then spend that money on a GPU. Cause to be frank I'm not too sure about the point of consoles anymore.

The other thing is the fact that massive high spec PC game op setups are extremely expensive and if not, quite a headache of an options game for anyone not familiar with modding and CPU building from the ground up. Unless it's for something as simple as Minecraft or Fortnite, or if custom PC combo build deals are a thing, and if they have the money, it's not on most consumer's heads. Even then, keeping up with GPUs is more of a process than if you just bought a console to begin with (don't you have to restart your entire system 32 just to get them to work?)

Hate to break it to you, but this is why computers have had such an accessibility gap gameplay wise since the late 1980s.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I suppose we can expect a PS5 for around 2021 or 2022

I would say the Fall 2021. Here's why: PS came out Fall 1996 which was followed by the PS2 in Fall 2000 followed by the PS3 in Fall 2006 and finally the PS3 in Fall 2013.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Yes but it's terrible with playing SD content (laggy video) and you'll probably need a remote because the shoulder buttons, specifically L2 (Rewind) & R2 (Fast-Forward) are VERY sensitive.

I own both a PS3 & PS4 but I still go with the former for watching anime & movies on Blu-ray because the Blu-ray player & controller buttons are not as bad in comparison.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:31 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

The other thing is the fact that massive high spec PC game op setups are extremely expensive and if not, quite a headache of an options game for anyone not familiar with modding and CPU building from the ground up. Unless it's for something as simple as Minecraft or Fortnite, or if custom PC combo build deals are a thing, and if they have the money, it's not on most consumer's heads. Even then, keeping up with GPUs is more of a process than if you just bought a console to begin with (don't you have to restart your entire system 32 just to get them to work?)

Hate to break it to you, but this is why computers have had such an accessibility gap gameplay wise since the late 1980s.

Sorry but WTF did you just type?

In terms of price PC is in fact cheaper as to fluff out a decent library of games on the three main platforms would set you back £/$30 to 400 on top of having to buy another console a year or two down the line cause you know more features.

In terms of complexity if you can build Lego or gunpla you can build a PC it's just plug and play.

TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

keeping up with GPUs is more of a process than if you just bought a console to begin with (don't you have to restart your entire system 32 just to get them to work?)

If this is not a joke then you have no idea what you are talking about.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Of course, they could always decide to block it to just be dicks and sell stuff back to you. I'm pretty sure MS won't do that because they're actually working pretty hard to let you play 360 games on the Xbox one, and unless Sony wants to look bad in comparison, they will likely match the move next generation.

Yeah that wouldn't really be the thing that tunes people out to the PS5 if you look at the negative aspects that affected the sales of PS3 and Xbox One S backwards lack of backwards compatibility was not among the negatives. The one big thing that's going to matter to anyone is how cheap or expensive the system is.

EricJ2 wrote:
[
For the last twenty years, Sony has lost more money stubbornly refusing to admit that someone else has a better technology than they do, and trying to make their own all by themselves.

That sounds more like Nintendo than Sony if we're simply talking about their video game division.

BrainBlow wrote:
I assume I'll have to since they're unlikely to make a PS5 backwards compatible, which is just insulting,

Insulting to who? because if you either still have your old systems where you can play your old games on them or have the money to just buy these systems for as cheap as they come it's a little bit absurd to argue that not having backwards compatibility is an insult.

This isn't like Microsoft forcing Kinect which was an optional add on for the Xbox 360 into the Xbox One S and expecting people to pay $500 dollars for something most people had no use for.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Playstation Vue does not need "improvements"
It needs to be dropped like an anchor into the ocean, forgotten about, and letting the big boys to bleed all the money on TV streaming, which we "users" are all watching anyway.

So you think I should drop PS Vue at $45/month in favor of a cable package at twice the price? Sorry, but I'll stick with Vue at the moment for the sports and news programming I watch every day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3