• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo Files Trademark for 'N64'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
So for my childhood I had an nes, snes and then jumped ship to PlayStation thanks to ff vii like I think a good chunk of my generation.
I’ve never actually played any N64 games (okay there were a couple times at a friend’s house).

But I would be totally interested in grabbing a classic edition and finally playing through classics like Mario 64 I missed out on. Plus the Zeldas I never played... and Star Fox 64. I loved the snes Star Fox and I’ve heard it’s actually like the worst in the series!

I wonder how many sales they will get from the other “Nintendo curious” people like me?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
Was there some sort of precent with trademarking acronyms before a Classic version came out, like with "NES" or "SNES"? I mean, I can see why some people would really want an N64 Classic, but isn't think kind of jumping the gun as far as hype?
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
worring goldeneye oo7 might not make it on the list, cause its still on the Blacklist in germany (many "killing humans" games of that time got blacklisted, even if in the meantime since COD and other games, tje Blacklist cesorship has been way less tough on games, but not older games have been removed from the blacklust)

really hope for goldeneye, perfect dark, shadowman (!) and mario RPG (!) make it on the list

besides ofc Mario 64, both Zeldas Oot and MM, Mario Kart 64, Diddi kong Racing (!) and Starfox.., maybe Extreme-G 1&2

but Shadowman was no N64 exclusiv, but was one if N64 best games of the time

and fir Nostalgic reasons maybe add Turok (some cheats like slowmotion, when shooting laser and out running the laser before it hits, gave off a Matrix feeling before Matrix movie was out)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
It is certainly a strange trademark for Nintendo not to have owned until now. Does this mean they were hitherto vulnerable to other companies using the acronym as they pleased?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Rai The Noblesse wrote:
worring goldeneye oo7 might not make it on the list, cause its still on the Blacklist in germany (many "killing humans" games of that time got blacklisted, even if in the meantime since COD and other games, tje Blacklist cesorship has been way less tough on games, but not older games have been removed from the blacklust)

I highly doubt GoldenEye 007 will make it onto any possible "N64 Classic"--not because of any blacklist, but because it's made by the now Microsoft-owned Rare and because the James Bond video game license currently belongs to EA, a company that doesn't see eye-to-eye with Nintendo. (EA has had a history, ever since the NES days, of refusing to port games onto Nintendo systems, though the people within EA have also always been divided on this matter.)
Primus

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Rai The Noblesse wrote:

I highly doubt GoldenEye 007 will make it onto any possible "N64 Classic"--not because of any blacklist, but because it's made by the now Microsoft-owned Rare and because the James Bond video game license currently belongs to EA, a company that doesn't see eye-to-eye with Nintendo. (EA has had a history, ever since the NES days, of refusing to port games onto Nintendo systems, though the people within EA have also always been divided on this matter.)

EA hasn't had the 007 license for more than a decade. Activision held it most recently, but that expired and currently no one owns it. The cost of making video games is too expensive for most licensed games to be financially worthwhile without a shoestring budget, which gives you shovelware that's unsalable to anyone that isn't a kid (who'd just play a game on their phone anyway) or a medicore re-skin of another game you made (see: TT Games and Telltale). Maybe if Spiderman is really successful SIE will look at James Bond, but that obviously does Nintendo no good.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
God forbid a gaming company wanting to protect their intellectual properties!!
The only reason I can see for this move is there being some quirk of Japanese law - they certainly wouldn't need to bother registering the trademark in the US given the level of brand recognition.

Also, this just protects the name. There's no IP involved.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
don't think Perfect Dark can make it on the Mini N64, name belongs to Rare, but Goldeneye is not Rare's (I suppose).

Last edited by Rai The Noblesse on Sun May 27, 2018 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
EA hasn't had the 007 license for more than a decade. Activision held it most recently, but that expired and currently no one owns it. The cost of making video games is too expensive for most licensed games to be financially worthwhile without a shoestring budget, which gives you shovelware that's unsalable to anyone that isn't a kid (who'd just play a game on their phone anyway) or a medicore re-skin of another game you made (see: TT Games and Telltale). Maybe if Spiderman is really successful SIE will look at James Bond, but that obviously does Nintendo no good.

Ah, that's why I haven't heard about James Bond games in quite a while.

(I also quite like what Telltale does...at least what they did with Wallace & Gromit and The Walking Dead.)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
CurseTheSky wrote:
God forbid a gaming company wanting to protect their intellectual properties!!
The only reason I can see for this move is there being some quirk of Japanese law - they certainly wouldn't need to bother registering the trademark in the US given the level of brand recognition.

Also, this just protects the name. There's no IP involved.

Isn't trademark a form of IP along with copyright and patents?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
The best N64 game that hasn't aged like a pile of rotting polygons is Doom 64. Two titles for you, "Watch Your Step" and "Even Simpler" which are two activated arena trap chapters that I remember... not "fondly" but with apprehensive dread.

I love the music of Mario 64, I love the story, characters and game mechanics in Zelda's masterpiece, Majora's Mask, the speed of F Zero X and the fun of Mario Kart 64... I own most of the Rare 64 games but apart from Banjo Kazoie and Conker's Bad Fur Day, I can't say I really liked them.

An N64 Classic though... would the controller be bigger than the console itself? Also, it's the first time where it's easier to make a list of 20 games than it is for Nintendo to get those games.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Isn't trademark a form of IP along with copyright and patents?
Copyrights and patents are grants of monopoly. A trademark is more of a way of telling things apart; while it's largely first-come first-serve, a trademark(registered or not) does have to be actively defended or it becomes invalid, either from disuse or genericization(becoming the name of the thing, not the brand).
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is gonna be an N64 Classic Edition, because oldschool fans would love to play an old and retrospective a lot more just like me. I hope they can also release an Nintendo GameCube as an "Classic Edition" too as well, cause it will be even more sweet!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Gamer Goku wrote:
N64 Classic Edition or Nintendo's gonna add Nintendo 64 games to their online service and they're too paranoid about copyright.

First reaction was "Aren't they, like, twenty years too late for that?", but why now, I'm guessing the craze for Retro Consoles made them want to get in on retro N64 consoles before someone else did.
We're already up to the Sega Genesis, so looks like somebody will have that Retro Dreamcast console any minute now.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I'm really hoping that they put all three original Mario Party games on an N64 Classic.

The NES Classic didn't have all 3 Super Mario Bros. games whereas the SNES didn't have all 3 Donkey Kong Country games, I don't expect them
to break this trend if the N64 Classic is legitimately a thing.

johnnysasaki wrote:
if we get a classic mini and it's just as easy to hack as the other two,we won't have to worry about the lack of Rare games...or any other game for that matter!

If N64 emulation is as spotty as it is don't expect to be able to play everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2