• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Release Collector's Edition of Kozue Amano's Aria Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
gridsleep wrote:
Those covers had better not be final. Aria is not supposed to be sexy. It's the sweetest, most sedate franchise around. It should be kept that way.
Take it up with Kozue Amano then, because those covers appear to be from the Aria: The Masterpiece Japanese edition. It's not like TokyoPop is trying to "trick out" the franchise by putting together their own scandalous (in the Victorian era?) leg-flashing artwork here.

Yeah. Those covers are A) not too different from previous Aqua/Aria covers, and B) pretty typical of promotional illustrations Amano has done. Disagree if you like, but it's pretty clear Amano Kozue had at least a certain amount of sexy in mind when she designed their outfits.
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Well, not buying the early volumes would be a pretty good way to make sure it doesn't get completely released.

I can understand the wisdom in that, but having purchased over a dozen Tokyopop titles as they were being released and having them now sit unfinished on my shelves leaves me gun-shy to invest in anything from Tokyopop before it's fully released.

My thoughts exactly. Not buying the earlier volumes doesn't do wonders for the chances of later volumes coming out, but they're not great to begin with and we'd rather leave it all than take our chances. Again.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
The worst thing about all of this is that with Tokyopop now back in the manga licensing game, a wish for any particular title to get licensed and released in English potentially becomes a Monkey’s Paw gambit.

Think of it: your favorite long-overlooked title finally announces an English edition… but it’s coming from Tokyopop.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Did Tokyopop ever even release the first volume of the Konohana Kitan manga?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Yes, I just got it this week.
Eojay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop already put out both volumes and Aqua and the first 6 volumes of Aria in the past, and they were fine. If these are at least on par with those releases, there's nothing to worry about, IMO.

(That is, assuming they complete the run.)
macloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Reminder:

ADV manga released 3 volumes - and went under.
Then Tokyopop released 6 volumes and the prequel - and went under.

At this rate it'll probubly take two more companies going under to complete the series.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
While people have every right to doubt Tokyopop from doing a better job with their manga licensing version 2.0, I think it's important to remember there is the very slim chance they translate a title that will make you happy.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Yes they did. I received my copy in the mail yesterday.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Yes they did. I received my copy in the mail yesterday.

And I saw it in the shelves in a store in Oslo when I was there for a vacation trip last week, so I can vouch for its existence.

As far as Aria goes: I won't rebuy vol. 1-6 as double volumes, but IF they ever get around to releasing the rest, I will probably get those.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, hearing Tokyopop makes my head hurt. I wish they'd just bankrupt and disappear.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll probably end up buying these and hating myself for it. I really want the content, but I really don't want to support Tokyopop. Unfortunately, it's not like someone else is going to come along and publish it.

invalidname wrote:
The worst thing about all of this is that with Tokyopop now back in the manga licensing game, a wish for any particular title to get licensed and released in English potentially becomes a Monkey’s Paw gambit.

Think of it: your favorite long-overlooked title finally announces an English edition… but it’s coming from Tokyopop.

Yeah. That probably is the worst part of this. LOL. The fact that we're not going *woohoo!!* over the fact that someone is actually going to try to publish all of Aria is a sign of just how disliked Tokypop is. If pretty much anyone else had announced this, we'd be jumping for joy.

But on the bright side, we might actually get all of Aria out of this, and it was probably never going to happen otherwise after it had been dropped twice. *sigh*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2