• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cowboy Bebop's Spike Statue Includes Arms With Gun, 'Bang' Gesture

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Spikes legs were that big
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Gorgeous figure. Anyway, I'm sad now.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Just make the [expletive] sequel already...

Dunno, Cowboy Bebop 2: Revenge of Mecha Spike, or something.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit there is something a little morbid about the choice of pose here, iconic though it may be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
space.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I have to admit there is something a little morbid about the choice of pose here, iconic though it may be.

Was just about to post this. I don't know if Spike would like the fact that spoiler[his death pose] would forever be eternalized in some promotional figure.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I thought it was the "Just a humble bounty hunter" pose".
Midaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
space. wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

Was just about to post this. I don't know if Spike would like the fact that spoiler[his death pose] would forever be eternalized in some promotional figure.

I don't think that's the actual ending. spoiler[During interviews, Shinichiro Watanabe often questions Spike's death. After watching the ending of Taxi Driver, I believe Spike actually survives. One of the reasons is that Cowboy Bebop's ending is a clear homage to Taxi Driver's. But there is more. Cowboy Bebop is also inspired by Blade Runner. Note the Eye/I symbology in both Blade Runner and Cowboy Bebop and realize the "eye" Spike loses at the end of the series is the "I" that was always looking at the past. Shinichiro Watanabe decided Spike should talk about it to Faye just before the final battle for a good reason: like Travis in Taxi Driver's ending, Spike will thereon look at the present and the future. He survives, just like he does most of the times. One can think old Spike died for a new free Spike to rise. Even Spike said it when leaving Faye, he said he wasn't going there to die but to know if he was actually alive. He was fighting to live and survived. That's why he smiles, just like Travis, not out of sarcasm but victory. But we don't see the new Spike because that would be a new story after surgery and all. ]

Last edited by Midaro on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The figure costs US$349.99.

Is it solid gold underneath the paint? I bet this thing cost at most 30-40 dollars to make. Companies like this are price-gouging thieves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
Midaro wrote:
I don't think that's the actual ending. (...)

If you ask me Watanabe keeps doing that because he's trying to keep his foot in the door in case a sequel is commissioned. (And going by this whole "let's revive things that were popular in the US in the '90s" nostalgia grab going on lately it might just happen.)

But as far as the actual show goes, as its own whole thing, it's very much the end and I think it makes so much more sense than if Spike survived. I'd be incredibly disappointed if it turned out that he survived, it would go against the entire show. (Although let's face it, it might just happen, see above.)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Midaro wrote:

If you ask me Watanabe keeps doing that because he's trying to keep his foot in the door in case a sequel is commissioned. (And going by this whole "let's revive things that were popular in the US in the '90s" nostalgia grab going on lately it might just happen.)

But as far as the actual show goes, as its own whole thing, spoiler[it's very much the end and I think it makes so much more sense than if Spike survived. I'd be incredibly disappointed if it turned out that he survived, it would go against the entire show. (Although let's face it, it might just happen, see above.)]

Spoiler tags there bud, just sayin'.

They have a payment plan system for anyone who is interested.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

Is it solid gold underneath the paint? I bet this thing cost at most 30-40 dollars to make. Companies like this are price-gouging thieves.

American made collector figures are horrible overpriced for some reason.
Midaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Midaro wrote:

But as far as the actual show goes, as its own whole thing, it's very much the end and I think it makes so much more sense spoiler[than if Spike survived. I'd be incredibly disappointed if it turned out that he survived, it would go against the entire show]. (Although let's face it, it might just happen, see above.)

I don't think he says that because of money. I believe the ending is what I explained. Otherwise, the last conversation between Spike and Faye would be irrelevant, the eye at the end irrelevant too. That makes no sense to me since everything in a script costs money and that is the most important dialogue in the whole series.spoiler[ To live is a great conquest for him who was dreaming the entire series, not knowing what was real. He fights for his life after everyone played with it for years almost dies to be free from the past and, at the same time, he becomes the hero he never thought could be. All of them, Fay, Jet, Ed, and Spike confront the past to move on. Don't tell me the hero is the only one that doesn't make it. To live is a great deeper message than to throw your life away because everything is shit. I understand Spike woke up from his dream through suffering when Julia died. Before that, he was always apathetic. But now he knows he's alive, that he still feels love and pain, and he realizes while he lives, Faye and Jet (who he now considers his family) will be in danger. Vicious has been killing everyone Spike cared about, the old boss, even hard Julia. He knows now he has to stop him. He didn't rush just after Julia died, which is what a person who wants to die would do. He took his time to think about it because he didn't want to throw his life away. And the final gesture towards de camera is the hint that he survives (Taxi Driver's coolness _another man hunted by his past, by the way). Cowboy Bebop is the story of four lonely souls that wander space and have no one to trust but themselves until they realize who they are, until they solve their past, and accept they care for their friends. ][/spoiler]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
↑ I do not get why we need a spoiler warning fro bebop
spoiler[When he says that he was in a dream, I took it to mean his post syndicate life aboard the Bebop with Jet, and later Faye and Ed. And his past catching up to him, was the dream being over, and him having to face reality. And the Taxi Driver homage, well I think that is just an homage, I don't get the Blade Runner part.]
MaxGoof

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

That’s actually not true. You’re probably picturing the little PVC Figures Banpresto and Koto and such when you think of this that get printed by the thousands, but this is a hand-painted 20 inch resin statue that only a couple hundred of are ever going to be made. Sideshow and Prime 1 and Weta etc etc all typically charge $500-$1000 for figures in this same size and quality. As far as large resin statues go, this is ultra cheap compared to pretty much every other company in the marketplace. At 350 bucks for an officially licensed statue, I imagine they’re making very little profit on this at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1